Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model X Build Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me clarify. When I was referring to the the person with two trim types I was referring to a person who said he had two types of of interior trim on his car. (not sure waht thread it was on the forums). One side was carbon fiber and the other wood. It was delivered to him that way. If thats not poor quality control , what is it then?
Oh yeah, that totally is. I thought you were trying to draw parallels. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh wow, I am a bit concerned reading the many posts on this forum. I didn't realize until I came across this forum that all these problems exist in a Tesla built car! My MX order is confirmed and awaiting production. I am thinking if its worth buying this cool vehicle with so many manufacturing defects after spending 100K+ on it! Are there any MX owners who haven't had any manufacturing issues on this forum?

Oh wow, I am a bit concerned reading the many posts on this forum. I didn't realize until I came across this forum that all these problems exist in a Tesla built car! My MX order is confirmed and awaiting production. I am thinking if its worth buying this cool vehicle with so many manufacturing defects after spending 100K+ on it! Are there any MX owners who haven't had any manufacturing issues on this forum?

Lol welcome to the forums !! Also congrats on getting an X!! ...you will be happy !!!:)

Lol welcome to the forums !! Also congrats on getting an X!! ...you will be happy !!!:)

Thanks! Can't wait to get into my MX, but at the same time I am sweating reading all the issues people have had with their MX! I hope the SC will still be as good as people say they are at taking care of issues after the influx of M3's into the market!

Fingers crossed, hope mine won't have major issues. Thanks to this forum, I now know what to look out for when I take delivery.

I'll tell you ALL mine.

Model X - Delivered Dec 2016
Issues:
O-Ring Leak causing AC coolant to spill out
Falcon Wing Door Creaking
Chrome not fully aligned on doors

Two service visits (3 days total without car) to address everything.

Come around July 2017.
New Model X 75D's have a 0-60 speed decrease of 1 second.
I ask Tesla if they could uncork my car so I could have the same performance benefit?
Got me in.. hooked me up with an S loaner and ended up with a faster Model X in the same day.
1 second faster in a Model 3 costs 11K... Tesla charged me and others 0.

I had first AP2 production and it wasn't that bad for me.

Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
Thanks! Can't wait to get into my MX, but at the same time I am sweating reading all the issues people have had with their MX! I hope the SC will still be as good as people say they are at taking care of issues after the influx of M3's into the market!

Fingers crossed, hope mine won't have major issues. Thanks to this forum, I now know what to look out for when I take delivery.
People don't typically come to forums to complain about their car that is working just fine. Stay wary, but don't worry.

Reactions: Kacey Green

I'm going to venture a guess and say no. Every single car has problems, to a trained and anal eye. How picky are you going to be? Do you expect your car to be absolutely perfect? I can guarantee you that it won't be. Even if some of the gaps between panels are symmetric between both sides, some of them sure look a bit wide.

One thing I've rarely read on the forums though, is someone hating their car. Once you drive your very own X, you will be in love. If you can look past the small defects (and you may not even opt to have them all fixed, I'm not going to), you're going to love it. If you can't look past it though and will feel like you overpaid because a <insert other cheaper car here> you previously owned was better in terms of fit and finish, then I suggest you eat your $2500 and just cancel your order. I feel like if you just set your expectations to be realistic, you will be happier.

Before anyone jumps on me for saying to set realistic expectations, I'm not saying that Tesla should get a hall pass. Their quality bar should be higher. Way higher! But it's not, so either I need to lower my expectations or I need to walk away. It's kind of hard to walk away after driving the car though. It's so amazing.

Also, to be fair, I find that for $100k, the materials used in the car are really nice! The oak trim blows me away. It's real wood, not fake crap that looks like oak. You can see/feel imperfections in the wood just like cabinets or furniture. The vegan leather is very comfortable. The alcantara headliner feels nice to the touch and looks great. The carpet is VERY plush and comfortable (though I purchased a full set of all-weather mats).

By the way, check my thread for all of the issues I've found with the car so far:

My delivery experience

You could use that to think about how many of those you'd be likely to catch. I wasn't too anal, but I definitely did a few passes. If most of the things I've listed don't bother you, or you wouldn't even notice, then I think you're going to be totally fine! Do check for FWD rubbing though!

Actually I do worry about the SC load. I think that's a very real issue, and seeing that you live in Cali, you might have some issues. I do feel like model 3s have just flooded the SCs and that means that us S and X owners need to fight for loaners and overall service times are up. Even here in Austin, things are looking worse with the sheer number of 3s on the road now. It's only going to get worse. A heck of a lot worse. That is definitely a legitimate concern. I have no answer for you on that front.

I'll tell you ALL mine.

Model X - Delivered Dec 2016
Issues:
O-Ring Leak causing AC coolant to spill out
Falcon Wing Door Creaking
Chrome not fully aligned on doors

Two service visits (3 days total without car) to address everything.

Come around July 2017.
New Model X 75D's have a 0-60 speed decrease of 1 second.
I ask Tesla if they could uncork my car so I could have the same performance benefit?
Got me in.. hooked me up with an S loaner and ended up with a faster Model X in the same day.
1 second faster in a Model 3 costs 11K... Tesla charged me and others 0.

I had first AP2 production and it wasn't that bad for me.

Wow, thanks for sharing this. I saw the pics you posted, can't believe the paint damage from the FWD rubbing? Just shocking that their QC is so bad! While some issues seem minor, still a bit disheartening to see a brand new vehicle that costs 100K+ with so many build issues! I can live with software issues, but shoddy build is tough to believe, given that they have been making these now for at least 3 years!

The driver's side FWD sensor is wonky and will only close about 50% of the time. It keeps thinking theres something obstructing it when theres nothing.

i have my MX 100D since late March, with few issues, but this one worries me. In heavy rain, on dark days, it occasionally thinks there is something ahead, usually (but not always) the shadow of an overpass. I fear someday being hit from behind. Is this a defective sensor? Or its just the software playing "safe" with the visual cues?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
i have my MX 100D since late March, with few issues, but this one worries me. In heavy rain, on dark days, it occasionally thinks there is something ahead, usually (but not always) the shadow of an overpass. I fear someday being hit from behind. Is this a defective sensor? Or its just the software playing "safe" with the visual cues?

Sounds like a sensor issue rather than the software.

Got my X back after being in the SC from 7/18 till 8/10. IMG_7170.jpg IMG_7171.jpg (Way too long for what was fixed). Fixed the ding in the Rt FWD and also aligned the hood. Did not align the Driver FWD so that is still off. They replaced both FWD top glass because the seals did not align and leaked when I washed the car. Only got one one right. The driver FWD seal is actually worse than before (WTF!!). (Pictures attached). Also now both FWD are not sensing correctly when I stand near the car. They were working correcly before I took it in.When I am a foot away they open in to me. So back to the SC it will go. I've only had it 5 weeks and 3 of those in the SC!!

Got my X back after being in the SC from 7/18 till 8/10. View attachment 325306 View attachment 325307 (Way too long for what was fixed). Fixed the ding in the Rt FWD and also aligned the hood. Did not align the Driver FWD so that is still off. They replaced both FWD top glass because the seals did not align and leaked when I washed the car. Only got one one right. The driver FWD seal is actually worse than before (WTF!!). (Pictures attached). Also now both FWD are not sensing correctly when I stand near the car. They were working correcly before I took it in.When I am a foot away they open in to me. So back to the SC it will go. I've only had it 5 weeks and 3 of those in the SC!!

Bummer ...hopefully this wasn’t fixed by Buena Park SC ;)

Got my X back after being in the SC from 7/18 till 8/10. View attachment 325306 View attachment 325307 (Way too long for what was fixed). Fixed the ding in the Rt FWD and also aligned the hood. Did not align the Driver FWD so that is still off. They replaced both FWD top glass because the seals did not align and leaked when I washed the car. Only got one one right. The driver FWD seal is actually worse than before (WTF!!). (Pictures attached). Also now both FWD are not sensing correctly when I stand near the car. They were working correcly before I took it in.When I am a foot away they open in to me. So back to the SC it will go. I've only had it 5 weeks and 3 of those in the SC!!

What a bummer, and is that seal supposed to be visible like in the pics?!!:eek: I mean, does it normally look like that?

Am I missing something? Those pics look pretty good to me. What does it normally look like? I've learned that the aerodynamics and design of the car make it harder to achieve perfection. It's like an infinity pool.... they are hard to build because sharp edges are more difficult to avoid leaks and any imperfection is magnified... Tesla doors and glass are a cluster of infinity pools. I suspect the trade off is a more conventional design.... perhaps it is what we will see in future Teslas as they strive for automation and precision, less glass edges, more stamped aluminum structure for the glass. It will be a shame if they get rid of the Falcon Wing Doors.

Does Buena Park SC have a bad reputation? I looked at the pics (Sorry they are not really clear), but the 50 % cf the driver side seal is tucked underneath the leading edge of the glass, which allows water to get inside the door channels (tested it out today at a car wash). Not just a cosmetic issue.

They outsource body shop work ..it’s the shop they use ..yes was going to mention that amount of gap for sure u will get leakage hopefully didn’t mess up ur headliner