Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A9457415-3C5E-41F2-B716-38172D745937.jpeg
875A53BD-DFAA-4615-9B4D-1CC03CA0EE04.jpeg
Same release note as 12.1

I just got 2019.1.2 tonight and it has the same details above, but... it says Navigation Update 2019.6 in small letters underneath for me.

I suspect there are some bug fixes in the navigation software.

The Tesla engineers are laughing at us!

I never had this trouble with the '58 Chevy convertible!

Reactions: scottf200
You can always do what I do and have done before the "auto battery warm up when navigating to SC." When I am heading to the supercharger for a charge, I just start the battery heating myself by going into ludicrous+ mode. That way you have a visual indicator that the batter is indeed heating. In my opinion, Tesla should have an option for "intelligent SC". When enabled, it starts warming the battery and graphically shows the temperature of the batteries as it does when ludicrous+ is enabled. Let's face it, most people know where the superchargers are already (unless on a trip) and have no need to "navigate to a supercharger."

I don’t have a P model so I can’t do that

We just got back from a road trip with 2019.12.1.1 in our X 100D (AP2/MCU1), Scottsdale AZ to Bryce National Park UT (Bryce Canyon Inn with Tesla chargers). We got right about 140 kW when our SoC was low enough, It didn't last long, out to 30% at one stop and lower at the rest.

AP has improved a bit since 2019.8.5 at least. When the lane widened due to an on ramp it would sometimes follow the left lane line, but about 50% of the time it would spring to the middle of the combined lane. Seemed like maybe it helped if there was a curve left, but who knows. I was impressed when left/right turn lanes suddenly appeared. Maybe it was picking the lane with no arrows painted on it, but it was pretty sure footed. It even picked a center lane when both left and right turn lanes appeared. I had to help once to get into a straight+turn lane. Otherwise it was perfect.

I tried NoA (Mad Max) with unconfirmed lane changes for two hours on I17 from Flagstaff to Phoenix, mostly at 80 MPH. The traffic was very light for 90% of the drive. Many times it changed lanes to pass a slower car before we had to slow down for it. That was especially impressive since it had to decide to change lanes, chime to warn me, wait about 2 seconds, turn on the blinker for another two seconds, then fairly slowly make the lane change itself. And it would return to the right-hand lane when the pass was done. But sometimes it ended up slowing behind another car and didn't change lanes. Or waited quite a while to return to the right, even with a car close behind us. So kind of neutral as far as usefulness, but a good start.

One other concern I had with unconfirmed lane changes was that it signals seemingly regardless of the surrounding traffic. It signaled once as a motorcycle was passing us, but still behind us in the target lane. Probably scared him/her since usually a signal indicates a lane change has already started, especially in very light traffic. It happened with a car as well.

I very clumsily aborted those two and a few other lane changes I didn't want. Like returning to the right not very far behind a slow car. I probably pushed the turn signal stalk too far, since I frequently just started signalling in the opposite direction. Between that, manually aborting a couple of changes by turning the wheel, and AP weaving around some wide lanes, I was kind of a crappy driver to surrounding cars. Reminiscent of 2017 and the "drunk" Autosteer. With more practice I can probably smooth it out a bit so that I'm not embarrassed.

For short periods TACC was slightly jerky for no apparent reason other than nearby cars. But mostly it was smooth. It handled all the curves of I17 and stayed well centered. Something that needs improvement but doesn't stop me from using it.

ETA: Holding the steering wheel with one hand hanging on one side of the wheel gave me no nags the entire trip and NoA was good with it for no-confirmation lane changes. I didn't have to do anything special for NoA lane changes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
What's new in firmware 12.1.2 ?

In Switzerland, coming from 2019.12, I see the following on initial test-drive:

1. Release notes mention ORBW but still nothing about 150kW, even for 100kWh pack. All European SuCs on MCU still show as 120kW max, so it appears to be not yet activated over here.

2. On side-roads without clear markings it tends to jerk quite sharply and can continue on the wrong side of the road or, on confusingly marked corners where the road has recently been ripped up and the asphalt irregularly patched, even aim to go straight up the sidewalk instead of turning at all! [This gave me a wake-up call on my usual test-stretch, as 2019.12 handled the same scene better, far from perfect but at least staying on the road.]

3. On the motorway and in dense traffic it is very smooth and pleasant, also it braked to a practical full stop from 50kmh for [a bunch of] pedestrians on a zebra-crossing in town, then continued once clear. Very nice!

4. No NoAP or Red-Light Warning as yet.