Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Yinn - can you clarify what you mean it’s working on AP2 cars. Are you able to pull any video clips?

I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. Sentry mode on my AP2. Currently confirmed that i have the option on the car and app. I can enable it, and the car does react when I approach it or try to enter it.

What I haven’t confirmed, and @ARMARM stated is the video clip portion. Since I don’t have dash cam I doubt that would work. But if it does work, I would think dash cam would work too.

I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive. Sentry mode on my AP2. Currently confirmed that i have the option on the car and app. I can enable it, and the car does react when I approach it or try to enter it.

What I haven’t confirmed, and @ARMARM stated is the video clip portion. Since I don’t have dash cam I doubt that would work. But if it does work, I would think dash cam would work too.
It does not work on AP2 cars. If you put a USB stick in with a TeslaCam folder you will get empty video files. The sentry mode monitoring and warning does work but there is no video recorded locally.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and ARMARM
It does not work on AP2 cars. If you put a USB stick in with a TeslaCam folder you will get empty video files. The sentry mode monitoring and warning does work but there is no video recorded locally.

I just tested to confirm this exact thing. The USB stick creates a Recent Clips and Saved Clips folder. The folders will contain files that end with the camera names ...front.mp4. ...leftrepeater.mp4. Etc. but each file is 595 bytes and can’t be played.

Here’s a note of interest though. If you have a dash cam such as topfit, IRO or another that utilizes the mirror plug. Those now turn on when sentry mode is activated. So there is no need to hardwire it and find a constant on. When sentry mode goes on, it pops on and starts recording.

Thanks @Yinn and @ARMARM for your responses.

I understand that I misspoke regarding MCU1.

I actually meant to say that since my Dec 2016 MX75D AP2 does not have a dashcam, is Sentry Mode still available and effective?

It's frustrating not being in the same city as my X until July 1, while all these new Features roll out, but I'm thrilled to be able to download Updates remotely.

How lucky are we to own a Tesla?

Thanks @Yinn and @ARMARM for your responses.

I understand that I misspoke regarding MCU1.

I actually meant to say that since my Dec 2016 MX75D AP2 does not have a dashcam, is Sentry Mode still available and effective?

It's frustrating not being in the same city as my X until July 1, while all these new Features roll out, but I'm thrilled to be able to download Updates remotely.

How lucky are we to own a Tesla?

Hopefully I answered your question. As a “sentry” or an alarm it’s still effective. There’s audio and visual beeps, waking of the vehicle, etc. it even stores files. We just won’t have video access (for now or potentially forever)

If it makes you feel any better, as an owner of essentially the same car - going from 8.5 to 12.1.1 was uneventful. I played with sentry for a couple hours and by this morning I forgot I had it.

I did, however, there is no way to know if the battery is being heating up or not
You can always do what I do and have done before the "auto battery warm up when navigating to SC." When I am heading to the supercharger for a charge, I just start the battery heating myself by going into ludicrous+ mode. That way you have a visual indicator that the batter is indeed heating. In my opinion, Tesla should have an option for "intelligent SC". When enabled, it starts warming the battery and graphically shows the temperature of the batteries as it does when ludicrous+ is enabled. Let's face it, most people know where the superchargers are already (unless on a trip) and have no need to "navigate to a supercharger."

Just got 2019.12.1.1 (from 2019.12)

- Battery warming up when heading a supercharger
- Dashcam (already in 2019.12)
- Sentry mode (already in 2019.12)

No mention of 150 kW Supercharging
But I already get 120 kW at some superchargers in Switzerland. Based on the release note, warming up the battery should reduce the charging time by 25% ;) So, no more time for a quick lunch, may be for a coffee :(

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Bacalao
Regarding the 150kW SC, the car map shows those that are 150kW capable and those that are not. That's new. I see urban chargers that were 72kW now showing 120kW. Though I've not tried any SC yet with 12.1.1.

old |v2019.8.6|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2019.12.1.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

Same exact thing happened to me last night. Pixel 2 XL. Reboot fixed it.

My bluetooth has been fine since the reboot.

However, I had some more flakiness that I've never seen before in the 1.5 years I had the car. This morning, while running errands, it was telling me "cruise not available" for a short (5 mile) drive where it has always worked fine. It also was not reporting speed limit or drawing lane lines. I did the brake-pedal, scroll-wheel long-press and rebooted when I parked. After I got back in the car it was fine.

I'm also seeing an issue where it basically refuses to open the charge port 9/10 times in my garage when I click the handle of my charger. I had this on a previous update, then it went away until I got this one.

I'm starting to think this is a really flaky update.

The car states with Sentry mode on that there will be increased power drain. I was curious as to how much. Over the last 9 hours, the car has seen a 5 mile range consumption while staying still, outdoors in the sun.

The following things were active:
- Smart Preconditioning (didn’t seem to activate)
- Overheat Protection (car reads 97 degrees right now, most likely activated) Ambient is approx 80.
- Sentry Mode On
- DashCam On
- Energy Savings Mode Off

My bluetooth has been fine since the reboot.

However, I had some more flakiness that I've never seen before in the 1.5 years I had the car. This morning, while running errands, it was telling me "cruise not available" for a short (5 mile) drive where it has always worked fine. It also was not reporting speed limit or drawing lane lines. I did the brake-pedal, scroll-wheel long-press and rebooted when I parked. After I got back in the car it was fine.

I'm also seeing an issue where it basically refuses to open the charge port 9/10 times in my garage when I click the handle of my charger. I had this on a previous update, then it went away until I got this one.

I'm starting to think this is a really flaky update.

I am having the same issue with the button on the handle not opening the charge port

Reactions: MTOman
Hopefully I answered your question. As a “sentry” or an alarm it’s still effective. There’s audio and visual beeps, waking of the vehicle, etc. it even stores files. We just won’t have video access (for now or potentially forever)

If it makes you feel any better, as an owner of essentially the same car - going from 8.5 to 12.1.1 was uneventful. I played with sentry for a couple hours and by this morning I forgot I had it.

Thanks Yinn you absolutely answered my question and much appreciated. As much as having video would be nice, I'm fine with just the Sentry configuration.

On a side note, let's hope that Elon keeps his word and upgrades all us FSD early adopters with the Ap3 computer, as he promised. For me, that is way HUGE in lieu of a AP 2.5 Dashcam.