Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12 - Updated browser, software on demand, new games and more

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, just for comparison my MCU2 scored 320 out of 555 on that test on v2019.4.3 on 23rd Feb 2019, so the switch to Chromium has indeed brought a massive boost:View attachment 395051

Now I just need the actual 9.12 update to land ...
The score got much better at 516/555 but still no Youtube or Netflix.

IMG_20190501_014848.jpg

IMG_20190501_014904.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: davedavedave
you have your opinion and I have mine. I love my car but it’s far from perfect. I don’t live in the Tesla is god world I guess.

We all bought a car we knew was from a company that is pioneering the EV market.
We all knew it’s one of the fastest, depending on model, and it’s one of the most advanced.
Depending on the model, it has the longest production range, more over the air updates, and one of the best cars many have ever owned. The list goes on.
The owner tries to place safety, fun, and end user experience at the top of the list.

He’s doing this with limited resources, limited funds, and with an approach many find comforting compared to how the typical auto makers usually play the game.
It’s obviously not without flaws or problems.

However, many of the flaws, glitches, or problems are a result of bringing this car to a new level with the above challenges in a industry that didn’t want it, all at break neck speed.

I think many on this forum are very entitled and completely intolerant, and are inadvertently the reason this industry can’t push forward.

The mentality many have:
“I paid money, so I want perfect, no problems, updates faster and done much better than they are now, no pricing changes unless they are in my favour only, I want hardware I didn’t pay for, because others are getting it.” On and on and on.

This intolerant, and entitled mentality, is why it’s so hard for companies to bring about revolutionary change, and try something different while under financial restraints.

My opinion; I think if you love the car and bought one, you should also have mentally agreed to buy into the company and their way of travelling through this new industry, and their way of rolling out development.
That’s a buyers responsibility.

If a buyer knows they are intolerant, or entitled, and doesn’t want to research, or educate themselves on a product or company before buying, then they should definitely stick with an internal combustion car that has been tested for many decades instead.
They would be so much happier.

In about 5 years from now, then these folks should buy in. They will find a market with much more stability. They will have missed all the fun of course, but not have had to endure the very painful and life disturbing process of inconsistent software roll outs, and such.

I think lack of education, and research, is a form entitlement. Elon is different, as is his company, and his products.

Many owners here have definitely given latitude, and have been very tolerant because they understand what Elon is trying his best to do.

If all of us were as intolerant and entitled as many here, I really doubt any of us would have the opportunity to have this car today.

Falling back on the notion from some here that “Huge fans of the car, Elon, or the company are blind to things that should be done better”, is not accurate.
We would just rather be a little more tolerant, and less entitled, so we are all now able to enjoy driving a car like this one.

All you intolerant and entitled folks are welcome. :)

Got the 2019.12.1.1 update last night but about 40 minutes after I started the update I got a notification on my phone that the update failed. I updated from 2019.8.5. Went to my 3 and saw this message on the screen:

Update did not complete successfully. Please wait for a new update to be sent to your car.
Both my 3 and the Tesla app report the new version number and I see the new features in the car menus, so it appears that my 3 got a partial install. I had this happen once before with another update many months ago and the solution was that they pushed the update to my 3 again and the second update attempt was successful. Just got off the phone with Tesla support and the support guy said that I may see reduced functionality from some things in the car until this is fixed. For example he mentioned that autopilot may not work right now which would suck since I’m doing a lot of driving today. I haven’t driven my car since the failed update so I’m not sure what is or isn’t working yet. He collected data from my car and opened a ticket for the diagnostic team to evaluate. Just have to wait to see what I hear back but I’m pretty sure they’ll just end up pushing the update to my car again.

Well hopefully there aren’t major issues with 12.1.1 because mine installed successfully haha

You and me both. My SR+ received 12.1.1 this morning, and to my unexpected surprise, all the premium interior streaming functionalities (internet browser, streaming music, live traffic view, and satellite view) are all working. I wonder if they've yanked 12.1.1 to turn this back off in 12.1.2?

I got this update last night. Coming from 2019.7.105 (HW3 I think). On the prior firmware I didn't have Sentry Mode or Automatic Enabling of NOA OR non-confirmation of lane changes in NOA.

With 2019.12.1.1 I now have Sentry Mode and an option for automatically turning on NOA. But I still do not have an option to disable confirmation of lane changes.

So my question - all all versions of this firmware the same for everyone or do some people have options that I do not have yet? It seems like there are some odd branches of this firmware depending on whether your HW3 or not. But maybe I'm wrong. I'm still very new to this as my car is only 5 days old.

I installed 12.1.1 last night and now my iphone wont unlock my model 3 while the phone is in Locked mode. once I do unlock my iphone I can unlock the car. This has never happened before, just with this most recent update. Anyone else having this issue. I could always have the car unlock while the phone was in locked mode when I walk up to the car.

#1 Makes no sense to me. The downloads are less than 1GB. Tesla has only sold a few hundred thousand cars. It should not take six weeks to update everyone.

Well, I think part of the issue here might be that Tesla is distributing the software updates from a single location, which is their server infrastructure in California. Let's take a look at some educated assumptions:

1. A single location for the software sources, which is Tesla's server infrastructure. i.e. no Content Delivery Network (CDN) is used.
2. The reason for no CDN is twofold:

A. Each software bundle is generated individually for each car depending on that car's actual configuration and the existing software build that the car is currently running. No single software package can be built that applies to all cars unless the package was huge. I believe some of the guys who have been inside the car's computers have confirmed this.
B. For secure distribution, the software never leaves Tesla-owned server infrastructure, and is delivered via the VPN tunnel to each car.

3. Each software bundle download is roughly 500 MB.
4. I'm going to estimate 150,000 Model S, 50,000 Model X, and 150,000 Model 3 in the field, these numbers are probably off but I'm just looking for ballpark estimates here. So total 350,000 cars.
5. We'll assume that Tesla's server infrastructure has a 1 Gbps connection to the Internet and can utilize all of it.

How long would it take to distribute a 500 MB software bundle to every car over a 1 Gbps connection?

Total data: 500 MB * 350,000 cars = 175 TB.

Time required: 175 TB * 1000 * 8 / 1 Gbps = 1.4 million seconds / 3600 / 24 = 16.2 days.

This is a non-trivial amount of data. Tesla will need more infrastructure and more bandwidth going forward.

I installed 12.1.1 last night and now my iphone wont unlock my model 3 while the phone is in Locked mode. once I do unlock my iphone I can unlock the car. This has never happened before, just with this most recent update. Anyone else having this issue. I could always have the car unlock while the phone was in locked mode when I walk up to the car.

Have you rebooted your phone since the update? On a few previous updates I had to reboot my phone to get unlock or starting working again after a car update. Some of the Bluetooth channels get disconnected and a phone reboot re-establishes them.

Same here as well. Hopefully we all get it soon.

I’m surprised at how depressed I was when the update wasn’t there when I opened the notification. I suspect it was pulled for a installation reason. And that’s a good thing. Still, disappointment. It’s better to wait for glitches to be resolved and redistributed.

The highs and lows of Tesla ownership. The highs are great, and the lows are likely from cutting edge technology.

• Funny
Reactions: Rogue one
Well, I think part of the issue here might be that Tesla is distributing the software updates from a single location, which is their server infrastructure in California. Let's take a look at some educated assumptions:

1. A single location for the software sources, which is Tesla's server infrastructure. i.e. no Content Delivery Network (CDN) is used.
2. The reason for no CDN is twofold:

A. Each software bundle is generated individually for each car depending on that car's actual configuration and the existing software build that the car is currently running. No single software package can be built that applies to all cars unless the package was huge. I believe some of the guys who have been inside the car's computers have confirmed this.
B. For secure distribution, the software never leaves Tesla-owned server infrastructure, and is delivered via the VPN tunnel to each car.

3. Each software bundle download is roughly 500 MB.
4. I'm going to estimate 150,000 Model S, 50,000 Model X, and 150,000 Model 3 in the field, these numbers are probably off but I'm just looking for ballpark estimates here. So total 350,000 cars.
5. We'll assume that Tesla's server infrastructure has a 1 Gbps connection to the Internet and can utilize all of it.

How long would it take to distribute a 500 MB software bundle to every car over a 1 Gbps connection?

Total data: 500 MB * 350,000 cars = 175 TB.

Time required: 175 TB * 1000 * 8 / 1 Gbps = 1.4 million seconds / 3600 / 24 = 16.2 days.

This is a non-trivial amount of data. Tesla will need more infrastructure and more bandwidth going forward.

If this is the case, then it's poor engineering from their side.

Yes, there are multiple configurations out there and you want to minimize the software package size, but you don't need 1:1 configurations for that, only the number of combinations possible with relevant impact in the software (e.g. color of your seats or wheel size should not impact your software). No need to use VPN tunnel for the download. You can download your software from a CDN, and then the car can always use a VPN tunnel to validate that the software is authentic (like a checksum or similar mechanism). Having only a 1 Gbps connection looks awfully low and probably very far from reality (people have that at home nowadays in several parts of the world).

From my experience of deploying remote firmware updates to 100,000s of devices, the reason to do it smoothly is that even with a well tested software, there will always be some issues with some customers, which you don't want to handle in a very short period of time (do to limited capacity on your call centres, services centres, etc. and to give you the opportunity to stop/roll-back if some issue arises).

• Informative
Reactions: OCR1
Same. I assume we'll get it again shortly.
Ok atl
I’m surprised at how depressed I was when the update wasn’t there when I opened the notification. I suspect it was pulled for a installation reason. And that’s a good thing. Still, disappointment. It’s better to wait for glitches to be resolved and redistributed.

The highs and lows of Tesla ownership. The highs are great, and the lows are likely from cutting edge technology.
it’s like having someone steal all your Christmas presents from under your tree, I have an email into highland park for the same thing. I’ll post if/when I get a response.

Reactions: Thp3