Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally after today's experience I wouldn't be happy having a home delivery. I know a lot of people have had great success with them but if this car got delivered on a home delivery and there was no manager to talk to etc, I'd almost certainly have rejected it. I think if you can get yourself to a delivery centre without too much extra hassle, it's worth it. Just incase you get a car like mine!

not sure you get the choice tbh.

Personally after today's experience I wouldn't be happy having a home delivery. I know a lot of people have had great success with them but if this car got delivered on a home delivery and there was no manager to talk to etc, I'd almost certainly have rejected it. I think if you can get yourself to a delivery centre without too much extra hassle, it's worth it. Just incase you get a car like mine!

not sure you get the choice tbh.

@boater291 shame you have had some issues to deal with, they don’t exactly look trivial or like you are being picky. Being completely honest, even after the wait I’ve had if mine is like that tomorrow I’ll be renting a car and driving home, then speaking to our fleet team to give them a rocket.

Minor issues seem to be a reality of the Tesla way, will have to give them a bit of leeway otherwise I’ll never get a car but I wouldn’t tolerate what you have reluctantly accepted. I’ve just had a lift back to hotel in a colleague’s 9 month old LR and it was still immaculate inside, zero rattles and rode beautifully so they can build cars, just not to European PDI standards in all cases/proportions it would seem.

This here is why I’m 100% nervous about home delivery.
I wouldn’t be nervous about home delivery as not one issue got sorted at the dealer so it didn’t make the slightest bit of difference, yes they may say they have noted the issues but it doesn’t sound promising but I hope they do, at least with home delivery you can get all the points noted on the app before even driving it so it’s a lot harder to argue they happened whilst you were driving/had the car. I was going to switch to collection but stayed with home delivery as it’s on a trailer and I will get straight on with ceramic coating and protecting all the surfaces, this is where you really see all the issues. From reading you can see how the system works, 7 days and 100 miles to log all issues on the app, they just want to get the car delivered at the SC they haven’t got time to sort issues especially coming to the end of the quarter. Would love to see the model 3 PDI checklist... car... tick... PDI complete

I tried most of last week to arrange a home delivery but after being told time and again that someone "would ring back" which of course they never did, I've given up. So I pick up from Birmingham on Tuesday - hopefully. I've yet to hear what the reg. no will be, so haven't yet arranged insurance, I've no idea whether the payments I've made so far have actually reached them (having to do it over three days because of my bank's Faster Payment limits) - and yes, I know you can look in the web page source, but nothing shows there, even though I made the first payment almost two days ago. Frankly, when shelling out not far short of £60k on a car, I naively thought things might be a little better organised.

I tried most of last week to arrange a home delivery but after being told time and again that someone "would ring back" which of course they never did, I've given up. So I pick up from Birmingham on Tuesday - hopefully. I've yet to hear what the reg. no will be, so haven't yet arranged insurance, I've no idea whether the payments I've made so far have actually reached them (having to do it over three days because of my bank's Faster Payment limits) - and yes, I know you can look in the web page source, but nothing shows there, even though I made the first payment almost two days ago. Frankly, when shelling out not far short of £60k on a car, I naively thought things might be a little better organised.

strange you’ve been asked to make a payment. My delivery is meant to be tomorrow, I have had nothing beyond the initial text and reg. No payment requested or anything.

strange you’ve been asked to make a payment. My delivery is meant to be tomorrow, I have had nothing beyond the initial text and reg. No payment requested or anything.

Well I haven't actually had anything in writing asking me to pay, but during one of the conversations on the phone the lady I was speaking to reminded me that payment was needed in full before pickup. I'm going to be on the phone to them again shortly, as I'm going to try to add a trade-in to my order, plus I'd like to know the reg. no for insurance. I can't say I'm looking forward to it....

What a day!

Birmingham Collection

The new Birmingham delivery centre in Small Heath is big, there must have been at least 50 M3s on site and lots of activity whilst I was there, a handful of staff kept fairly busy with a steady flow of people coming in to pickup their cars. New superchargers are being installed and look like they could be ready for use within a few weeks (they're in place, but still construction works going on).

I spotted my car right away from the reg, it was sitting right outside the show room next to a couple of others with the same spec. After going inside to let them know I was there I was handed the keys and told take your time, come in when ready to sign & accept delivery then off you go. At no point did I have to show driving licence which was a little odd I thought, but confirmed name. There's no rush at all when it comes to how long you're given to check the car over, I got the impression you could spend all afternoon there if that's your thing!

Well, it took me around an hour to properly inspect the car. I ended up with a big list of issues. The first was immediately apparent when looking at the front of the car, the bonnet/bumper didn't sit flat (see photo attached). This was a disappointment as it was a fairly major issue right off the bat. However, I thought that should be able to be fixed, so I noted it down and carried on the inspection. The next fairly major issue jumped right out at me when I glanced over the interior of the car. The back seats had some bad crease marks in them, so did the drivers seat but no where near as bad as the rear seats. I've read these forums a lot over the past few months but it really hits home when you're looking at a very obvious issue and think how did this pass QC?! Clearly, the QC is non existant.

Anyway, onwards, I checked the exterior thoroughly over the next 30mins or so and noticed around 8 issues - mostly paint work, everything from what looked like rust spots to paint drips and chips/missing paint patches. There was also another misalignment issue with the side of the boot. Disappointing to encounter so many issues.

Onto the interior. Aside from the state of the seats, the front pillars had dark grubby marks on along with a few other areas in the car. There was also an issue with the rear speaker housing that had popped up on one of the sides at the back and scratch marks inside the front boot.

At this point I was thinking surely I must have just got really bad luck. It sure does deflate the car collection experience spotting so many issues. Whilst inspecting I looked at the other cars around to see if there really was an issue with my car or whether it was the norm. What shocked me was almost every car I looked at around mine had something fairly obvious wrong with it that you could spot right away. The car to my right had a boot that didn't sit at all right and a lot of the other cars around shared the same alignment issue with the bonnet/bumper to varying degrees. If you're picking up from Birmingham in the next few days, give your car a good look over! No doubt this applies to everywhere else too.

Once I had compiled my issue list, I went back in to get one of them to come out. Unfortunately for the most part I hit a complete brick wall with him, his stock answer was "that's within tolerance, we wouldn't fix that". Sounds very familiar after all the posts I've read. It was quite incredible showing him what was obviously a fault (there were other people collecting around the same time and they spotted some of the issues I had right away too). The big creases on the back seats, yep, "within tolerance" - I mean, what!?! Everything was seemingly "within tolerance"! I told him it's not within my tolerance, certainly not when spending £50k on it and asked to speak with the site manager otherwise I would be rejecting the car. He said there's no point, he'll say the same. At one point he even said.. well the cars are made by robots so you should expect variances and that the defect is it's 'uniqueness' and not something wrong with it!

This was quite disappointing as I've found on the Tesla employees I've spoken to at various contact points (test drives, sales centres, on the phone, etc) have been fantastic. Now, when it matters, I was dealing with a brick wall. Politely I made it clear that I would like to speak with the manager and so the manager soon arrived.

Hurrah, the manager agreed that a lot of the things were not "within tolerance" and so we went through them one by one and he made a note of each on his phone (only in the notes iOS app though). He reassured me that a lot of these issues would be fixed with a service centre visit (all the major ones at least and most of the minor) and he wizzed it round to the detailer to clean some of the dark marks off the interior. With this reassurance I was happy to accept delivery - largely because the wait for another could be many months and I've already spent a tough few weeks without a car; plus, I have no confidence that the replacement would be any better after looking at the state of the cars around mine!

I wanted to get them to officially note the issues on my account there and then and book me into a service centre appointment or, at the very least, have some signed proof that they would indeed rectify these issues as discussed however I hit a roadblock there too. What felt like excuses came out to say why they couldn't - the first was along the lines of: "I can't book you a service appointment now as I don't know your availability". When I said I'll provide my availability right now and I'm very flexible when they book this in (I don't mind waiting a couple of months if necessary), he changed it up to it's just not possible, not what we do. We left it with him reassuring me he would email me this evening confirming that they will fix all these issues that he said they would and noted down. He took the vin, my email etc. As of the time of writing this, no email...

This has all left a sour taste. I was prepared for build issues but not this many and not the brick wall response of "within tolerance" when it's so clearly a defect.

The flip side is the car drives fantastic, it does help make up for some of these issues but these issues and the customer service received is really sub-par for such an expensive car. You just would not get that at your german dealer. Whilst they can't keep up with the demand for these cars at the moment, there will become a time when us early adopters (or not so early anymore!) dry up and they're selling to people who just would not put up with this experience when putting down so much money. All this has been said before by other posters time and time again, come on Tesla, put some of that $5Bn you've just raised into firming up your build & customer service!

Tomorrow I'll proceed to log all this in the service section of the app - we're talking 10+ issues exterior/interior. I hope the manager at Tesla has made notes on my account and follows through with his promise to email me.

All in all a mixed day, the excitement followed by a big deflation when realising just how bad the build quality is, then a smile put back on my face after driving! If they fix the issues then I'll be very happy. Good luck to all those who are collecting this month.

View attachment 584031
View attachment 584036
Super excited to be picking up my m3 at the end of the month and my dad is excited to pick up his MX in a few weeks, but stuff like this makes it hard to be excited. My dad is used to the build quality of Porsche’s and owns a taycann so Defo will not tolerate any stuff like this, even though it sounds somewhat inevitable.

You can go onto your account on the website, when you click "manage" then you can see 2 tabs at the top just below where it says overview and the pic of your car. click on the tab that says "Completed tasks" and it shows you the remaining balance, so if you've transferred the cash and they have applied to your account you can see the amount due going down...took about a day for mine to show up.

For those waiting to be asked to pay go to the same place and on the right hand side just below where you see the buttons to install the app from the different app stores you can see your documents, that's where the final invoice shows up with details of where to send your funds to.

You can go onto your account on the website, when you click "manage" then you can see 2 tabs at the top just below where it says overview and the pic of your car. click on the tab that says "Completed tasks" and it shows you the remaining balance, so if you've transferred the cash and they have applied to your account you can see the amount due going down...took about a day for mine to show up.

For those waiting to be asked to pay go to the same place and on the right hand side just below where you see the buttons to install the app from the different app stores you can see your documents, that's where the final invoice shows up with details of where to send your funds to.

maybe it’s because I’m through a lease company but I have none of those options.

Picked ours up yesterday. Nothing really bad to report bar the odd spots of white sticky residue in the interior which did not inspire much confidence and only motivates you to really start being picky even if you're not the type.

Car was charged to close to 90% (maximum set).

It was in the process of downloading a software update and this was completed when/after we got home. This software update was needed in order to to have the option to format the usb drive as to use to use sentry and dash cam.

For the best experience, I would advise that you have a tethered charger installed at home. We were supposed to but due to a small fiasco on that front it hasn't happened yet. Failing this or if using the granny charger, at least have it arranged in a way that will emulate the wall charger in a fixed manner as its not much fun when its raining and you're facing around unplugging the extension and charger and also using paper towels to dry it all up and put it away till next time (you will need an extension for this since the cable on the 3 pin is way to thick to be able to close the door on the waterproof outdoor socket)

Other than the above, we welcomed the now named Zippy into our home and are very please with it.

What a day!

Birmingham Collection

The new Birmingham delivery centre in Small Heath is big, there must have been at least 50 M3s on site and lots of activity whilst I was there, a handful of staff kept fairly busy with a steady flow of people coming in to pickup their cars. New superchargers are being installed and look like they could be ready for use within a few weeks (they're in place, but still construction works going on).

I spotted my car right away from the reg, it was sitting right outside the show room next to a couple of others with the same spec. After going inside to let them know I was there I was handed the keys and told take your time, come in when ready to sign & accept delivery then off you go. At no point did I have to show driving licence which was a little odd I thought, but confirmed name. There's no rush at all when it comes to how long you're given to check the car over, I got the impression you could spend all afternoon there if that's your thing!

Well, it took me around an hour to properly inspect the car.
Well, thats a good start. I expect that the majority of collections are done in 5 minutes....or less!

I ended up with a big list of issues. The first was immediately apparent when looking at the front of the car, the bonnet/bumper didn't sit flat (see photo attached).

That would have been enough for me to reject the car immediately

I checked the exterior thoroughly over the next 30mins or so and noticed around 8 issues - mostly paint work, everything from what looked like rust spots to paint drips and chips/missing paint patches. There was also another misalignment issue with the side of the boot.

If I had forgiven the first frunk issue in the belief it was 'one of those things and will get fixed', I certainly wouldn't have proceeded any further.

Onto the interior. Aside from the state of the seats, the front pillars had dark grubby marks on along with a few other areas in the car. There was also an issue with the rear speaker housing that had popped up on one of the sides at the back and scratch marks inside the front boot.

Its beginning to sound lust like a Friday afternoon car from Vauxhall in the 70's

At this point I was thinking surely I must have just got really bad luck. It sure does deflate the car collection experience spotting so many issues. Whilst inspecting I looked at the other cars around to see if there really was an issue with my car or whether it was the norm. What shocked me was almost every car I looked at around mine had something fairly obvious wrong with it that you could spot right away. The car to my right had a boot that didn't sit at all right and a lot of the other cars around shared the same alignment issue with the bonnet/bumper to varying degrees.

So... It would be interesting to know how many of these excited 'owners' accepted there and drove off, and how many had the sense to rejec their car?

I hit a complete brick wall with him, his stock answer was "that's within tolerance, we wouldn't fix that".

I would have said "really, show me the specification sheet that details these tolerance that you are referring to, so that *I* can confirm what you are telling me is correct".

Sounds very familiar after all the posts I've read.

Fore-warned is fore-armed. so be prepared for this 'fob-off' statement and counter it (see above)

It was quite incredible showing him what was obviously a fault (there were other people collecting around the same time and they spotted some of the issues I had right away too). The big creases on the back seats, yep, "within tolerance" - I mean, what!?! Everything was seemingly "within tolerance"!

I told him it's not within my tolerance, certainly not when spending £50k on it

ANY car presented to me at time of purchase in this state would not be within my tolerence.

and asked to speak with the site manager otherwise I would be rejecting the car. He said there's no point, he'll say the same.

So why didn't you reject the car?

At one point he even said.. well the cars are made by robots so you should expect variances and that the defect is it's 'uniqueness' and not something wrong with it!

is anyone else getting the feeling that they were expecting lots of complaints and were tactically briefed to deal with these objections? As I said previously Fore-warned is to be fore-armed. People collecting their cars need to wise-up and stand up to these cretins who try to fob you off with lame pathetic excuses for poor quality products.

This was quite disappointing as I've found on the Tesla employees I've spoken to at various contact points (test drives, sales centres, on the phone, etc) have been fantastic. Now, when it matters, I was dealing with a brick wall.

should always take their names, telling them that want it to add when quoting them in your report.

I wanted to get them to officially note the issues on my account there and then and book me into a service centre appointment or, at the very least, have some signed proof that they would indeed rectify these issues as discussed however I hit a roadblock there too.

As the saying goes "if it isn't written down, it didn't happen". They obviously will not make any commitment, so neither should you. you should have rejected & walked away.

What felt like excuses came out to say why they couldn't - the first was along the lines of: "I can't book you a service appointment now as I don't know your availability". When I said I'll provide my availability right now and I'm very flexible when they book this in (I don't mind waiting a couple of months if necessary), he changed it up to it's just not possible, not what we do.

We left it with him reassuring me he would email me this evening confirming that they will fix all these issues that he said they would and noted down. He took the vin, my email etc.

only interested in getting you off his ear and getting you out of the door to carry on his day.

You just would not get that at your german dealer. [/quotew]

you wouldnt get this with ANY dealer who only got paid when you collected the car and was satisfied with its condition.

Whilst they can't keep up with the demand for these cars at the moment, there will become a time when us early adopters (or not so early anymore!) dry up and they're selling to people who just would not put up with this experience when putting down so much money.

Agreed, once the fanatical enthusiasm wanes, other more worthy manufacturers will be be taking the business, and rightly so.

oh dear, not inspiring is it? Tesla is rapidly getting a bad reputation and is becoming a laughing stock.

Not only is it shocking that cars are being spewed-out of the factory in this shoddy state, but that there is clearly ZERO pre-delivery inspection taking place, and the ZERO customer service from their service centre staff with a nonchalant take-it-or-leave-it attitude beggars belief. Once the 'fanboy' syndrome wears off they will be in for a rude awakening if they continue to churn out cars in this condition.

Unfortunately this disgraceful practise will continue as long as cars are being accepted and driven-away in this state. Why-o-why are these cars not being rejected? if forecourts were piling up with rejected cars they would quickly do something about it.

I suggest that you, and everyone else who has an issue with their car tweets it to Elon Musk who is getting rich at your expense. I have already tweeted this post and the one with the missing steering bold to him. When he gets flooded with these shocking complaints maybe he may want to address his customer service experience and rapidly deteriorating reputation.

Wise-up people, you are being taken for mugs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.