Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to sign up for the beta test program or is that for Tesla employees only?

Nope, you need to get invited. Tesla sent about 1000 email invites to some random owners several months back. That’s the last time I know of that any mass invites were sent out. Sadly I was not one of the lucky ones that was invited.

• Informative
Reactions: zhu-
Nope, you need to get invited. Tesla sent about 1000 email invites to some random owners several months back. That’s the last time I know of that any mass invites were sent out. Sadly I was not one of the lucky ones that was invited.

Even with an invite it doesn't mean you get everything early. I got one of the invites in the last batch and was accepted. Have not received any beta or early release software yet.

This release has been superseded by 2019.5. Further discussion should happen in this thread.

Since when does a lower version number supersede a higher one? As @Deraillor says, 2019.4.x appears to be a European specific build. It does look like a very small number of vehicles in North America are getting this but I would guess that they got it by accident somehow.

Edit: I’m tired and read your post too fast. Not sure why I thought you meant that 2019.4 superseded 2019.5... although it is strange that we didn’t see 2019.4.x anywhere until a little after 2019.5.x started deploying.

Reactions: Deraillor
It was accurate at the time it was written, as there were no 2019.4.x point releases, initial 2019.4 was US, and further 2019s in the US went to 2019.5.x.

Tesla then seems to have kept non-US vehicles on 2019.4 variants.

I don’t think that’s accurate. TeslaFi has shown hundreds of cars being updated to 2019.4.2 in the past 2 days (Feb 19-20). Most of the cars seem to be outside the US, and the vast majority are S/X models (although about a dozen are Model 3s).
I don't recall the number but, as I recall, last Friday Elon said he expected the fleet to be fully updated by the end of next week...meaning this week. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I just checked twitter and can't find that tweet. That leaves tonight Thursday and Friday.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
I don't recall the number but, as I recall, last Friday Elon said he expected the fleet to be fully updated by the end of next week...meaning this week. Does that ring a bell with anyone? I just checked twitter and can't find that tweet. That leaves tonight Thursday and Friday.

You imagined that. Tesla never rolls out an update that quickly.

This is what he actually said:

It will start out slow to make sure there are no corner case issues and then, if that looks good, speed up next week. We def need to add a “Request Latest Update” feature!

So it would "speed up" this week if there were no issues, but there were issues.

those who are early adopters, refer others, and provide substantial and useful bug reports are more likely to do the same as new features roll out. My suggestion is a combination of all of that - not just one or the other as you listed out

Referrals, bug reports, and substantial feedback, are not exclusive to early owners though ...
Many people carry out the above activities, not just older owners.

I can’t even imagine how Tesla would go about managing who to send updates out to first, based on combining all the items I listed together.

I think they’re doing it right.
They seem to find a select group of owners to test things, then roll it out to all.
Not sure how they find this group, but I’m pretty sure they don’t use the combined or individual items I listed above.

I think the only parameter they use when rolling out test builds to focus group cars is region. For instance, pushing a build that has Sentry Mode to German-based vehicles might not be smart due to certain privacy laws they have out there. Aside form that, I'm fairly certain it's random.

Reactions: Perry