Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be still in testing... I know the one car that has it says he isn’t beta but when have we seen only one copy on TeslaFi after a day or so? That’s what’s there right now. And none for S/X.

We fold mirrors every time we enter our garage also for our cars, so, definitely want this!

Even if sentry mode does get “released” next week it may only be to beta testers.
I believe his announcements such as that are to general public. Much of the existing software IS beta. We are, in essence beta testers. NoA is Beta, auto lane is Beta, Summons is Beta.
There is a pecking order to who gets any given release first, early Model 3 owners get it before latter ones. Presumably early S and X owners get priority. Only so many clients can connect to the software repository at once without crashing the server. So arrival of new software has to be throttled in some fashion. I suspect you'll see it by Fri or early next week.

There is a pecking order to who gets any given release first, early Model 3 owners get it before latter ones.
I agree that there is a predefined order, but I don't know if I agree that it depends on when the car was built/delivered. I have an early 1st Prod car (VIN <6000 delivered in Feb'18) and I don't think I get any priority. There is a formal pool of referral prize winners who get update priority; and of course company employees, insiders and VIPs probably do also.

I agree that there is a predefined order, but I don't know if I agree that it depends on when the car was built/delivered. I have an early 1st Prod car (VIN <6000 delivered in Feb'18) and I don't think I get any priority. There is a formal pool of referral prize winners who get update priority; and of course company employees, insiders and VIPs probably do also.
Yeah, that makes sense, I stand corrected. I just remember Mad Hungarian Referencing he had early access and, sure, that could because he, somewhere, advertised his referral code. Plus I assumed he was an early adopter.

Honestly, they should prioritize updates to: referral awards and people who were early owners, utilize most of the functions (AP, NoA, etc) and also file bug reports.

My two cents. I don’t think this is really practical.
Where does it end. ?

My car has more options = I should be first
My car is newer = I should be first
I have referrals = I should be first.
My VIN is older = I should be first
I ordered early on = I should be first
S & X models = I should be first

My two cents, there is too much criteria to use for roll out. Which criteria outweighs the other...?

I have no idea how they determine software roll out, but I think trying to chose criteria based on the above gets messy.

Where does it end. ?

My two cents, there is too much criteria to use for roll out. Which criteria outweighs the other...?

I have no idea how they determine software roll out, but I think trying to chose criteria based on the above gets messy.
I called it, so I should be first. :D

Reactions: Deraillor
Where does it end. ?

Actually, Apple has a Beta program and then, once out of beta, allows ALL iOS users to get the update at once. I know they’re cautious because it’s a car and not an iPhone, but it may make sense to make updates available to whoever wants one on Day 1, after it’s out of the limited Beta. No?

Reactions: Deraillor
The folding mirrors feature could help when parking in garage parking where there's concrete columns on the sides of cars. My husband was at the Supercharger in Cupertino one day when he witnessed an owner take off her side mirror when she cut it too close as she was exiting.

Reactions: Big City
Actually, Apple has a Beta program and then, once out of beta, allows ALL iOS users to get the update at once. I know they’re cautious because it’s a car and not an iPhone, but it may make sense to make updates available to whoever wants one on Day 1, after it’s out of the limited Beta. No?
They do have a limited beta, like employees and perhaps a select group of others. The thing of it is these downloads are behind, likely, a web-like front end. As Oprah so famously brought to light, a server side of client server m -> n, is tuned for anticipated load. When a company's product was going to be advertised on Oprah their IT department was notified and told of suggested settings such that their systems wouldn't crash under the load. Before that the risk is everything would slow to a crawl and a download would take hours. Consequently, they throttle how many get the download every day. What's interesting is the car does not stay connected to your wifi network. Likely it's something like this, every night at midnight to 2am you car connects to the mother ship with VIN, current software version and gets an "I got nothing for you" or a reservation on when it can request the download.
I've gotten 2 updates since Nov 7. The first, as it turns out, tried several days in vane to download. I called to find out why I was not getting the .46 update. So the very helpful tech switch it to push via cellular. I subsequently got a wifi repeater and my next update was sent to me about 2 pm, when the phone app notified me there was a new update available to install.

Last edited:
Where does it end. ?

those who are early adopters, refer others, and provide substantial and useful bug reports are more likely to do the same as new features roll out. My suggestion is a combination of all of that - not just one or the other as you listed out

there is no pattern or consistency to when and who gets updates, it's all wild guesswork and speculation.
My car has had some updates on the day they were released, even before Teslafi sent the notification - but others only arrived much later than everyone else.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele