Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 now available in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wipers experience, since the update, is that they are vastly improved compared to before. Had a few differing scenarios in the rain this morning and all were dealt with. It’s just amazing to me that functions like this plus others relating to performance can be improved (for free) over the course of ownership of the car without the car having to leave my driveway. It’s a nice feeling being part of and contributing to this technological adventure. :cool:
I don't want to be a downer but auto wipers were pretty much nailed years ago. Only Tesla by virtue of the fact that they could update it later easily would have had the nerve to put out something this bad to begin with. So on the one hand software updates are great but on the other they give manufactures the opportunity to let their customers beta test their software rather than doing it properly themselves.
Sony put out an update a few years ago that almost bricked a bunch of Playstations. It took weeks for them to figure out a way to fix it. I really really hope Tesla are being more careful since the consequences if they get it wrong go far beyond no Call of Duty for a couple of weeks.

• Disagree
Reactions: Keeper and Simavon
I think it's more about a variation in the driving locations and times to be fair.

I live in Ramsbottom. Possibly the wettest place that's near civilisation in the UK with all that convection rain off the Pennines etc. It's always raining here! But dodging around locally for a few weeks since delivery, with a few short motorway sprints, I'd say they were fine if a little cautious but certainly not dangerous. I'd have said as much in here if asked. They seemed fine.
Sorry to disappoint, you are definitely up there but not quite number one either in days of rain or total rainfall. Dependant of course on your definition of "civilisation" in which case the residents of Cardiff and Glasgow would like a word......

I noticed also that you now get more precise info as to what is limiting blindspot visibility in the wet. Merest sniff of rain still affects it but mine now specifically says the "front left fender camera is blocked or blinded" and prevents a lane change to the left but not to the right, where before it just said something generic about blindspot visibility limited. So it lends further weight to my hunch that my car has a problem with that specific camera. Stop to clean the camera and it appears clean as a whistle already and reverts tot the same warning almost immediately.

Would it have been so hard to say which camera had an issue from the start?

The lane changing is indeed much improved. Spray from a still-wet road after train and passing HGVs doesn't trigger wipers enough - there's still work to do. I'm going to rate it lower than a 6 year old Toyota hybrid which cost less than half the price.

I noticed also that you now get more precise info as to what is limiting blindspot visibility in the wet. Merest sniff of rain still affects it but mine now specifically says the "front left fender camera is blocked or blinded" and prevents a lane change to the left but not to the right, where before it just said something generic about blindspot visibility limited. So it lends further weight to my hunch that my car has a problem with that specific camera. Stop to clean the camera and it appears clean as a whistle already and reverts tot the same warning almost immediately.

I had the update this morning. Had this and multiple cameras blocked or blinded message. Called Tesla on the roadside assistance number - told that it's probably due to the update and should sort itself out in time - if not, book a service so virtual service can take a look.

Got the update and installed. Wipers seem less enthusiastic in Auto when you first turn on which is great. No more “GO MAD TO CLEAR WINDSCREEN” when you first jump in

Tip on Downloading and installing (My new way!)

My Wi-Fi at home connection to my car is very weak due to on street parking and I believe this causes it not to see/recognise there is a new update.

So this morning as i start to drive to work i turn on my Phones hotspot and the car instantly saw the update (Coincidence?). Downloaded on the drive to work and installed once I parked up and plugged in.

Sorry to disappoint, you are definitely up there but not quite number one either in days of rain or total rainfall. Dependant of course on your definition of "civilisation" in which case the residents of Cardiff and Glasgow would like a word......
'My Dad's rain his bigger than your Dad's rain!.....' OK. Fair point Jason. But Ramsbottom really is it's own little micro-climate. Manchester (which you can see from here) gets much less and it just seems like someone tied a cloud to Holcombe Hill some days.

The good news is that we won't need to get our rainometers out anyway. It's been solid heavy rain all day here and the wiper update that came in at lunchtime means I barely thought about the wipers, which is the way they should!

• Funny
Reactions: PrGrPa
Just been out in the rain and the wipers worked really well.

However, the AP visualisation seems to be a regression. Vehicles either take a while to appear, and oncoming vehicles rarely appear until they are alongside. Pedestrians don't appear when crossing in front of the car at traffic lights. A mini was recognised as a motorbike.

Maybe it is the wiper NN, but the forward facing cam seemed to be struggling compared to the side cams.

On the other hand, it can spot a traffic cone from a mile* off in any direction!

* OK, maybe half a mile