Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 now available in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really impressed how they fixed the autowiper using the cameras. It is easy for us to see rain on the windscreen but for a camera stuck so close to the glass, the amount of rain on the glass they can see is also very small. A large drop of rain would probably be half the size of the camera itself.

Reactions: pow216
Rain detection on unlit B roads, in the dark, without full beam is still as awful as ever - not unexpected as I suspect the cameras can see very little in that situation.

I would be happy if Tesla gave us a manual control of variable speed for the wipers.

Its been 3 years now since Elon promised FSD with Tesla AP hardware and we still don't even have proper automatic wipers.

Reactions: ChrisA70
I’m sure it’s been said elsewhere but automatic wipers are achieved on every other car with rain sensor(s). They are tried and tested, and they work. They aren’t perfect, but they are good enough to not be a distraction.

Why can’t Tesla just do this instead of spending however much on dev time etc doing an inferior version with cameras?

Very big improvement in the auto wiper function, although I've not yet had a chance to see whether performance in very light spray/mist has been improved. Great to get into the car and immediately have the wipers come on because the screen is wet - should have done this from new, mind.

I agree, the auto wiper functionality is a huge improvement, but it still needs some work in light rain - i find that i still have to press the button to get it too wipe the screen before the auto wipers kick in. I'm sure it will get there though, like i said it's huge improvement over what we had before and it's not a major hassle to have to press the button occasionally.

I do find it a bit strange though that we're getting excited over something that most cars have been able to do for a long time!

Reactions: ChrisA70
If FSD is available and a human no longer needs to drive does keeping a windscreen clear all the time actually matter if the camera can see enough to do it’s job? Not arguing with you just a hypothetical
It matters. I was experimenting with AP and auto wipers on a mostly empty 3 lane motorway a couple of months ago. Wipers were not setting themselves high enough, and between wipes AP would start to drift to the outside of the lane. Eventually a wipe would go and AP would jump back to the normal place in the lane. If I'd know about the bug report voice command I definitely would have filed one at the time. end story - the camera can't see that well.

I’m sure it’s been said elsewhere but automatic wipers are achieved on every other car with rain sensor(s). They are tried and tested, and they work. They aren’t perfect, but they are good enough to not be a distraction.

Why can’t Tesla just do this instead of spending however much on dev time etc doing an inferior version with cameras?
The argument is that eventually software will be better, and its possible to update software on the fly. But I agree that along with a glove box open button, the wipers should have had more hardware love to make up for the gap. I would also have argued for the buttons along the bottom of the display being hardware - non specific, software assignable hardware, but still hardware. I am working on a fix for this tho.

Has anyone noticed that the headlights auto main beam function has changed in this version? from my limited testing so far, it appears to be worse than before - it seems flash the lights on and off several times when it detects cars approaching from the front - i've had a few confused looks because of this!

Rain detection on unlit B roads, in the dark, without full beam is still as awful as ever - not unexpected as I suspect the cameras can see very little in that situation.

I would be happy if Tesla gave us a manual control of variable speed for the wipers.

Its been 3 years now since Elon promised FSD with Tesla AP hardware and we still don't even have proper automatic wipers.
I agree. Still a lot of work needed. I used to do a lot of work with control systems in an earlier life and what became apparent very quickly is just how important the primary sensor is. My fear is that a camera, in the dark, trying to handle changing light sources, wipers, wet screen etc isn't ever going to be good enough for this. I hope I'm wrong but it isn't too promising so far. Indeed I have the same concerns about FSD overall. Fortunately that wasn't my main reason for buying the car

I agree. Still a lot of work needed. I used to do a lot of work with control systems in an earlier life and what became apparent very quickly is just how important the primary sensor is. My fear is that a camera, in the dark, trying to handle changing light sources, wipers, wet screen etc isn't ever going to be good enough for this. I hope I'm wrong but it isn't too promising so far. Indeed I have the same concerns about FSD overall. Fortunately that wasn't my main reason for buying the car
I'm not concerned with the concept, but I was wondering if the front cameras have enough resolution? A traffic cone, in the distance, must just be a 3 pixel orange blob? Need to get some old 720p cameras out and see the world as the car does, but I'm worried that making decisions on those 3 pixels may be even harder!

I'm not concerned with the concept, but I was wondering if the front cameras have enough resolution? A traffic cone, in the distance, must just be a 3 pixel orange blob? Need to get some old 720p cameras out and see the world as the car does, but I'm worried that making decisions on those 3 pixels may be even harder!
Yes, 720p not great. I'm busy switching out our 1080p CCTV for 4K so 720p is a bit basic now. The dash cam footage is also a bit pants. I think the cams are capable of better than 720p so maybe some scope for the future. But then processing high-res video is hugely resource intensive

Internally the cameras are much higher resolution, the dashcam get a very compressed and cropped afterthought image

Reactions: MrBadger
Has anyone noticed that the headlights auto main beam function has changed in this version? from my limited testing so far, it appears to be worse than before - it seems flash the lights on and off several times when it detects cars approaching from the front - i've had a few confused looks because of this!
I did a long drive in the dark on Monday and did not notice any difference since updating last week.

Ref the wipers they do seem a bit better
BUT
I did a long drive on wet roads this week and spent a lot of time following traffic that was throwing up spray.
The wipers seemed to work relatively well when it was actually raining but when it was just the spray they did not seem good at all.
I am assuming that the reason might be that the windscreen is big so the sensor/camera is quite high up and the spray was reaching the part of the screen I look through but not so much was reaching the bit with the sensor.
to me it was very noticible and not something easily sorted via software if it really is just about camera location :(

The wipers seemed to work relatively well when it was actually raining but when it was just the spray they did not seem good at all.
I am assuming that the reason might be that the windscreen is big so the sensor/camera is quite high up and the spray was reaching the part of the screen I look through but not so much was reaching the bit with the sensor.
to me it was very noticible and not something easily sorted via software if it really is just about camera location :(

Spray does indeed seem to be less well handled, but not convinced of the reasoning re camera location. Our last two long term ownership cars performed extremely well in those conditions yet the sensor was mounted in similar place. Part of me wonders (I think I read it somewhere to set off the wondering) if forward location is the only place the cameras should be looking - iirc that either BMW and/or VW also used the internal rear view camera dip sensor to add to the inputs.

Spray does indeed seem to be less well handled, but not convinced of the reasoning re camera location. Our last two long term ownership cars performed extremely well in those conditions yet the sensor was mounted in similar place. Part of me wonders (I think I read it somewhere to set off the wondering) if forward location is the only place the cameras should be looking - iirc that either BMW and/or VW also used the internal rear view camera dip sensor to add to the inputs.
I guess there is nothing to stop me hitting record to see what the camera is seeing under these conditions.
Either way probably not much we can do except sit and wait for the release of "Deep Spray".
(FYI that is a fictional future software update I just invented and it not to be confused with any 1980's"special interest" film that may or may not exist, I will not be Googling the term on my work computer to find out one way or the other)

I've had this, and also a 1-2 second delay when going back main beam manually.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, but since the last update I seem to be getting the AP nag more often while I’m holding the wheel? I’ve always had it occasionally (it must be my light touch!) but I do seem to be getting it more now.