Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.2.1 now available in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, but since the last update I seem to be getting the AP nag more often while I’m holding the wheel? I’ve always had it occasionally (it must be my light touch!) but I do seem to be getting it more now.
Not noticed any difference in nag times with this version - but i have had all of the cars on the display disappear a couple of times along with a "take over immediately" message while on AP! Almost like the camera cant see anything ..

Reactions: Roy W.
I wonder if anyone else has noticed this, but since the last update I seem to be getting the AP nag more often while I’m holding the wheel? I’ve always had it occasionally (it must be my light touch!) but I do seem to be getting it more now.

I used to get this.

Then I heard about the optimal Tesla hold. Basically Rest elbow on centre arm rest. Grip wheel rim just below the horizontal bar.

The natural weight of this position stops all nagging with no input required at all. You still have one hand on the wheel ready for an emergency.

If I hold the wheel in the normal 10-2 sort of position I get loads of nags - no matter what i do.

• Helpful
I can't for the life of me remember what I installed last week, but I thought it was 2019.40.2.

I definitely had the release notes about the wipes and lane changes.

BUT, I got another update last night, apparently to 2019.40.2.1 and my car is totally wiped out today.

Since I set off this morning, I've had numerous warnings about the SOS eCall service being unavailable, and the weirdest of all is that the GPS has stopped working. No matter where I am, the car still thinks it's on the drive at home...

Anyone else had this?

EDIT: Failed to mention that I've being getting a lot of left front fender/pillar camera is blinded notifications in day or night since the update last week.

Last edited:
Last couple of releases - I started noticing it with my troublesome 2019.36.2.4 release. I can't rule out me relaxing my grip, nor can I rule out the drunken behaviour from 36.2.4 making the steering wheel turn more and somehow interacting, intentionally or not, with the mechanism used to determine if hands were gripping the wheel sufficiently. Either way, my physical hold of the wheel has not changed, except perhaps my level of grip.

Since I set off this morning, I've had numerous warnings about the SOS eCall service being unavailable, and the weirdest of all is that the GPS has stopped working. No matter where I am, the car still thinks it's on the drive at home...

I've had that on this release. Lost the rerversing camera, ecall, GPS..

Put it on charge and when I came back to the car a couple of hours it rebooted and was back to normal. So whatever failed fixed itself..

EDIT: Failed to mention that I've being getting a lot of left front fender/pillar camera is blinded notifications in day or night since the update last week.

Yeah lots of them.. it could be a coincidence with the weather getting worse, or a glitch. Hard to tell.

btw. I wish they didn't use the american term 'fender'. It should be localised to the UK, and even given the the message isn't particularly useful.. I don't have a left and right bonnet and if I did I'm not going to stop on the motorway and start cleaning cameras..

Last couple of releases - I started noticing it with my troublesome 2019.36.2.4 release. I can't rule out me relaxing my grip, nor can I rule out the drunken behaviour from 36.2.4 making the steering wheel turn more and somehow interacting, intentionally or not, with the mechanism used to determine if hands were gripping the wheel sufficiently. Either way, my physical hold of the wheel has not changed, except perhaps my level of grip.

I think I'm just one of those people whose natural hold isn't forceful enough to keep the nagging at bay. It certainly hasn't got better so it might've got worse. Yesterday I got loads of nags.

I find it a bit frustrating because rotational force is essentially akin to the driver disagreeing with the direction the car is choosing, and I don't naturally want to do that so I don't adjust to it naturally. For me the arm rest doesn't stretch quite far enough forward for the "tesla hold" to be perfectly comfortable.

I can't think of a better solution but it would be nice if the car could confirm you're still in control/awake/whatever another way.

Last edited:
I think I'm just one of those people whose natural hold isn't forceful enough to keep the nagging at bay. It certainly hasn't got better so it might've got worse. Yesterday I got loads of nags.

I find it a bit frustrating because rotational force is essentially akin to the driver disagreeing with the direction the car is choosing, and I don't naturally want to do that so I don't adjust to it naturally.
Yeah it isn't natural - and for the first few weeks I found just that - I kept having to act contrary to the car to stop the nag... sometimes disengaging AP by accident.

Seriously - try the technique I described a few posts back... it works like a charm. Instead of reacting to the car you are basically hanging a weight (your left hand) of the wheel. It feels effortless.

Yeah it isn't natural - and for the first few weeks I found just that - I kept having to act contrary to the car to stop the nag... sometimes disengaging AP by accident.

Seriously - try the technique I described a few posts back... it works like a charm. Instead of reacting to the car you are basically hanging a weight (your left hand) of the wheel. It feels effortless.

Sorry - I edited my post ref the tesla hold while you were typing. You're probably right though - I should persevere.

Reactions: xdcthedoc

I find it a bit frustrating because rotational force is essentially akin to the driver disagreeing with the direction the car is choosing, and I don't naturally want to do that so I don't adjust to it naturally. For me the arm rest doesn't stretch quite far enough forward for the "tesla hold" to be perfectly comfortable.

I can't think of a better solution but it would be nice if the car could confirm you're still in control/awake/whatever another way.
I reckon eventually they'll enable the inside camera to watch your face and add that as a method of confirming attention.

First experience of the new wiper software this morning, I think they've just about sorted it, its not perfect but none of the others are either.

My nomad charger has stopped working since the update though, weird?
Re the Nomad charger, you might want to try a full reboot after removing the charger and anything else plugged into the USB ports. When I spoke with Tesla service over the phone some weeks ago about my rear camera not working the advisor suggested it is a good idea to do this following every software update.

I was also not doing the deep reboot properly. Sorry if I am repeating known info, but you press in both steering wheel buttons whilst pressing down on the brake pedal and keep holding the buttons and pedal down until the Tesla logo appears again on the screen. I was letting off when the screen went off but not holding long enough, which does take some time until the logo comes back on the screen.

Since this update the doors don't open unless I take the phone out and hold it next to the car...

I started getting that with 2019.36.2.4 - what actually happens is that it can take up to around a minute* to respond to phone being present - being in pocket or not doesn't seem to make much difference. When this happens, screen in car often shows message about using key card to unlock.

* the approx amount of time it takes to realise car will not unlock, take phone out of pocket, open app, wait for it to connect - not sure if that is coincidence or not - as not taking app out of pocket and opening app doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I started getting that with 2019.36.2.4 - what actually happens is that it can take up to around a minute* to respond to phone being present - being in pocket or not doesn't seem to make much difference. When this happens, screen in car often shows message about using key card to unlock.

* the approx amount of time it takes to realise car will not unlock, take phone out of pocket, open app, wait for it to connect - not sure if that is coincidence or not - as not taking app out of pocket and opening app doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference.

Oh yes noticed the key fob on screen too, seems like OTA are going backwards and cars getting worse!

Was passenger in car using auto high beam last night. Very much improved.

Outgoing, slightly slower response than perhaps I may have done - but pretty good.
Return started sluggish, but soon got back in its stride.

Couple of instances where some obvious reasons it got things wrong (reflections from posts that could be confused for oncoming/rear lights), but many instances where it was spot on in difficult circumstances - corners and undulations etc.

Very dark conditions, dry, good selection of vehicles and ambient/street lighting - latter is only circumstances where it behaves different to what I would do.

• Informative
Reactions: mpandrew
I would also have argued for the buttons along the bottom of the display being hardware - non specific, software assignable hardware, but still hardware. I am working on a fix for this tho.

I had wondered whether something like these (but the press-button type) would would give the lower buttons a more tactile feel but then figured they'd be in the way half of the time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TY128QZ