Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster. Saw the release notes for this on reddit. rexorz got invited to tonight’s event leaked the news.

Supercharging V3 supports 250 kW on the Model 3.
Summon over keyfob now supported.
5D488F45-48CB-4FE7-843B-8B1940FDE68E.jpeg

The item that really caught my attention was:

"Also, when you navigate to a Supercharger, your car will condition its battery during the drive, so it can charge faster."

This is something that several people have been requesting over this winter. I like that it's automatically triggered simply by setting a Supercharger as the destination. I'm assuming that's the case when Trip Planner inserts a Supercharger stop for you automatically.

I don't believe this will actually cut your charging time in half. They are probably playing loose with their words. It may on average be able to service 50% more cars, assuming a fully utilized SC, but it is not cutting your charge time in half for the best case (30 minutes from 20% to 80%). The first clue is they cite the fact that dedicated vehicle charging is partially responsible for the shorter charging time. This should have no effect when comparing the fastest possible charging on the V2 vs. V3. Second they may have adjusted the charging curve on the Model 3 slightly, but that would apply to V2 and V3. Currently, peak charging is only achieved from about 20-50% SOC. V3 would likely peak for 25-45%. So you are only doubling your power for this 20% range. The kW would be identical for all other SOC.

The real value of V3 is it will double your worst case warm battery speeds which occur when you are splitting the power with your neighbor.

That's amazing. I don't understand how they can make it faster at more than 50% SoC where we're already limited to less than 120kw...

The one thing we can be certain of is that it will not be nearly as good in reality as Tesla makes it sound. It will be a welcome improvement though. It'll be interesting to see what that taper looks like!

That's amazing. I don't understand how they can make it faster at more than 50% SoC where we're already limited to less than 120kw...

That's the million dollar question IMO - have they shifted the point at which power starts to taper off. If so, this is HUGE.

It would mean they essentially can get more throughput for the existing V2 chargers by letting people with the compatible battery chemistry (i.e Model 3) taper later and charge faster.