Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Model 3 Predicted Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PUP to include at least one additional feature that it doesn't have currently (key fobs?).
Don't think they have the will to associate a fob with any sort of upgrade. Too much corporate ego involved in "key of the future" stuff to admit it might not be. Dippin' Dots were flacked as the ice cream of the future, and while getting rare, you can still find them if you look hard enough.
Robin

Ice Cream of the Future.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
I like not having to carry my keys around. Just phone and backup card in my wallet. One less thing to worry about.
+1 I agree, I love the phone key but I would be open to a keyfob so it's easier for valet.

I only had one day of torture with the key card as my primary when I rented Model 3 on Turo.

I think next time I'd just rather have a red hot poker jammed where the sun don't shine.

I doubt they will make many changes soon. The big addition will be the short range version. They are having a hard enough time just making the current configuration before adding on freebies. Perhaps at the end of the year they will finally be caught up and then will start adding "extras". I hope they come out with a key fob, they probably will just sell it as an optional extra.

They essentially have this segment of the market to themselves next year. The Model S & X will start to see competition from German car makers, that is where I expect the most changes to be made.

Reactions: IdaX
I doubt they will make many changes soon. The big addition will be the short range version. They are having a hard enough time just making the current configuration before adding on freebies. Perhaps at the end of the year they will finally be caught up and then will start adding "extras". I hope they come out with a key fob, they probably will just sell it as an optional extra.

They essentially have this segment of the market to themselves next year. The Model S & X will start to see competition from German car makers, that is where I expect the most changes to be made.

Lack of competition in S/X space doesn't seemed to have stopped them from continuing to add things or enhance those products.

Guess we'll see!

I am honestly surprised that we are seeing updates at all given they are struggling to hit their 5k vehicles a week number. I know it's different divisions etc. but still.

I am honestly surprised that we are seeing updates at all given they are struggling to hit their 5k vehicles a week number. I know it's different divisions etc. but still.

The updates so far have been big $$ to their profit margin...

AWD probably 50%+ profit margin

P upgrade (over AWD) - probably near 100% profit margin - they are just sorting motors they already are buying for AWD

White seats - probably near 100% profit margin

All the changes they have made so far increase the profit margin of the base LR with Premium package that they have been selling - it is easy to see why they would make them immediately available.

There will be nothing of significance. They aren’t changing the car much while still catching up to pre orders world wide. Tesla’s schedule for refreshes on existing models also suggests this.

I can see minor things like a heated steering wheel or more colors, but nothing else. Basically all of the stuff you listed would do nothing but piss off early customers.

Thought it might be fun to predict what changes Tesla will introduce next year to keep the Model 3 fire going as they continue to work their way through the pre-order backlog and deal with the diminishing tax credit.

My thought is that they will try to sweeten the deal on PUP as their #1 priority to protect margins and get take rate on PUP (and EAP) as high as possible.

Here's what I can come up with;

• Black/white interior choice both at same cost with PUP.
  • PUP to include at least one additional feature that it doesn't have currently (key fobs?).
  • At least one additional color choice for PUP vehicles.
  • At least one new exterior color choice (possibly exclusive to Performance version).
  • Performance/DM version continued enhancements.
  • Performance version might get more exterior differentiation but doubtful.
  • Ludicrous mode for P models produced after certain date takes 0-60 down to 2.9 seconds at a cost of $10,000.
  • At least one new wheel design to differentiate the 2019 "model year".
  • Mid-year cars ship equipped with Tesla EAP/SD silicon. Certain features only work with newer silicon.
  • Introduction of SR battery (new lighter design) will bleed over to a lighter longer range battery for LR models to further differentiate Tesla from competitors arriving late next year (BMW, VW).
Oh great. Another reason to call my inside sales advisor...... I think she hates me. From color changes to AWD, PAWD, PUP, no PUP, and back. by then time they build it all get all of the above and demand 2018 prices. o_O

Could happen.

But I really want a HUD.

Known to be coming:
-short range model
-air suspension
-red interior confirmed to becoming out but not specified to the 3. If so, exclusive to Performance.
-wheels similar to the red model, but I don’t see centerlock wheels on the 3. I bet it is for the Roadster.

Want to see:
Fob
Around view monitor
Real blind spot warning lights
Spotify/Pandora
Heated steering wheel
Cooled seats
80kWh battery
Black headliner
Sunroof
HUD