Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.12.5.6: Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't know the fob could perform Summon operations. How does this work?
Found this on the internetz...
upload_2020-4-21_10-58-16.png

I didn't know the fob could perform Summon operations. How does this work?

You have to turn off the require continuous press option on Summon in the center screen settings.

Once you do, pressing the center of the fob and holding for a few seconds activates Summon, and the turn signals start flashing. Then you tap the front or rear and the car attempts to Summon in the indicated direction.

A further touch on any button will cancel the Summon.

Summon by fob is enabled in the US, and is not enabled in the EU. I’m not sure about other regions.

You have to turn off the require continuous press option on Summon in the center screen settings.

Once you do, pressing the center of the fob and holding for a few seconds activates Summon, and the turn signals start flashing. Then you tap the front or rear and the car attempts to Summon in the indicated direction.

A further touch on any button will cancel the Summon.

Summon by fob is enabled in the US, and is not enabled in the EU. I’m not sure about other regions.

Nice thanks.

I'm going to try it.

I think I would rather use my phone. I don't like having the car moving without a continuous press ( moving by itself without me in it or constantly controlling it ).

I feel like the continuous press is my leash.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mrbrock and TX_M3P+
Nice thanks.

I'm going to try it.

I think I would rather use my phone. I don't like having the car moving without a continuous press ( moving by itself without me in it or constantly controlling it ).

I feel like the continuous press is my leash.
Yeah I tried the Advanced Summon feature yesterday in an empty parking lot, but the layout of the lot was full of obstacles, like planter boxes and medians. I was more worried about the car's navigating abilities that I was about the actual summon feature working, and there was a few times I let go of the button out of sheer concern for the car! It was nice to just release the button and have the car instantly stop. But for just forward and backward basic summon operations, I think the fob will work just fine. I don't like the idea of having to switch back and forth between constant press enabled/disabled just to be able to use the fob though.

Yeah I tried the Advanced Summon feature yesterday in an empty parking lot, but the layout of the lot was full of obstacles, like planter boxes and medians. I was more worried about the car's navigating abilities that I was about the actual summon feature working, and there was a few times I let go of the button out of sheer concern for the car! It was nice to just release the button and have the car instantly stop. But for just forward and backward basic summon operations, I think the fob will work just fine. I don't like the idea of having to switch back and forth between constant press enabled/disabled just to be able to use the fob though.

Indeed. I would hate switching back and forth also.

Using my phone....I don't have to switch anything - no matter which summon I choose to use.

I've never had problems with plater boxes and medians. As a matter of fact....I try to get my car to run into those all of the time....and it won't. Its amazing that the car can see a 3 inch high curb and avoid it. I wonder how it does that so well. It can't be using gps because the picture on the screen is sometimes not perfectly accurate as to where the obstacle is. hmmmmm

Last edited:
The clip below shows a long video of the new functionality:

But I'm much more interested in the new icon to the left of the driver profile:
New Icon.png

In the comments the guy who posted the video mentions it "lets you save Autopilot clips". I have no idea what that could mean but am intrigued. Any guesses? I haven't seen this discussed anywhere.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Once you do, pressing the center of the fob and holding for a few seconds activates Summon, and the turn signals start flashing. Then you tap the front or rear and the car attempts to Summon in the indicated direction. A further touch on any button will cancel the Summon.
That's good information, but I don't trust that process after I once had an issue that a press to cancel didn't get through to the car due to connection issues. I had to go grab the door handle to stop it. With continuous press, the car will stop if communication fails between the fob and the car.

• Informative
Reactions: TX_M3P+

View attachment 534525

In the comments the guy who posted the video mentions it "lets you save Autopilot clips". I have no idea what that could mean but am intrigued. Any guesses? I haven't seen this discussed anywhere.

My understanding is that is for the beta testers, ie. EAP members, to be able to flag a period to have the camera feeds, and other data, sent to the AP team for review. (Like when it does something wrong.)

I doubt it will be in a public release.

View attachment 534525

You haven't seen that discussed anywhere?

I wonder why.

Are some people really adhering to the NDA?

• Disagree
Reactions: MarcG
The ability to upload clips to Tesla for review (and the associated icon) is available to a bunch of folks who do not have any NDAs with Tesla.

Wait what?

People are uploading "clips to Tesla" ......to explain Tesla's upgrade to Tesla ......so that Tesla can review their own upgrade …..without any intention of the public seeing it?

Really? you think people are doing that?

Last edited:
Really? The ability is available? Of course it is.

That's the reason for the NDA.

The problem is the first person who violated the NDA to the public. Not the people who pile on ( re-tweeters ) that don't have NDA's.

You're not making any sense.

Someone "talking" about the feature doesn't magically give people the feature.

People without any NDA at all have the feature and have talked about it.

Greentheonly for one.

Reactions: outdoors and MarcG