Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question. When using the screen to view events sentry has recorded, you can send clips you don't want to the trash. Can you empty the trash without having to remove the usb plug? I usually use my laptop to view footage and delete.

The traffic cone detection capability in this release is phenomenal! Got the update this morning, did a 40 mile drive and as luck would have it my local freeways had numerous instances of cones by the side of the road, sometimes singles, sometime clumps, sometimes rows, and they were all correctly displayed, so accurately that I could hardly believe what I was seeing.

Exited the freeway onto San Francisco city streets and the accurate cone display continued. One humorous detection: a city road maintenance pickup truck slightly ahead of me and in an adjacent lane had a pile of cones in the truck bed with one sticking up above the rest but at an angle. My car detected a cone in that location, showing it on the pickup truck and then a fraction of a second later it disappeared, as if the car decided it was in an anomalous location and should be ignored. :cool:

NOTE: I do not have FSD.

Since the update, I’ve noticed that any new Sentry clips are now >10minutes in length when viewed in the car. I’m used to seeing events that are a few minutes long at most, which was nice as it was easier to scrub through and find whatever it was that set off sentry mode in the first place. Now I have long clips where nothing seems to be happening and/or it’s difficult to find the triggering event. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can someone clarify regarding the dashcam viewer

I have set up a 500GB Samsung SSD for my recordings and partitioned off 100GB for music. In the past when I took out the SSD and connected to the computer I could pretty much see all my driving videos recorded for almost a month or more.

Now when I view the dashcam in the car, I see only snippets of driving. For example the last recording was 4 days earlier and none after that and I see 7-8 videos in total. I am curious why that is. Should I have to reformat my SSD to the new specification. BTW, there is a red dot on the dashcam icon when driving so I know that recording is going on, just that I am not able to see them later in the car.

It is Model 3 with HW3

Can someone clarify regarding the dashcam viewer

I have set up a 500GB Samsung SSD for my recordings and partitioned off 100GB for music. In the past when I took out the SSD and connected to the computer I could pretty much see all my driving videos recorded for almost a month or more.

Now when I view the dashcam in the car, I see only snippets of driving. For example the last recording was 4 days earlier and none after that and I see 7-8 videos in total. I am curious why that is. Should I have to reformat my SSD to the new specification. BTW, there is a red dot on the dashcam icon when driving so I know that recording is going on, just that I am not able to see them later in the car.

It is Model 3 with HW3

The viewer only shows manually saved video (pressing the camera button to save last 10 minutes, or honking horn to do the same) and sentry-mode saved video (again most recent 10 minutes saved any time sentry goes to alert or alarm state) and (for P models) track mode saved videos.

If you're looking for the normal NOT saved footage (though this should only be the most recent 1 hour) the viewer won't show that.

Since the update, I’ve noticed that any new Sentry clips are now >10minutes in length when viewed in the car. I’m used to seeing events that are a few minutes long at most, which was nice as it was easier to scrub through and find whatever it was that set off sentry mode in the first place. Now I have long clips where nothing seems to be happening and/or it’s difficult to find the triggering event. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes. Clips are 10 minutes and it can be frustrating as to why some times were saved. I have viewed clips with activity happening in the background and being saved as Sentry events. (i.e. car is parked and traffic in distance passing by, people getting out of cars 2-3 rows away in parking lots, bushes in front of car while parked moving in the wind, etc...)

I found something interesting while looking at the contents of my USB drive on a computer.

Every Sentry event now has a JSON file in the folder named "event.json", and it includes the timestamp of the event, which I found really helpful to jump straight to the correct file.

It also includes the city, latitude/longitude, and reason for the event triggering Sentry.

Here's a sample below (lat/long redacted for privacy):

Code:
{
    "timestamp":"2020-04-13T19:08:06",
    "city":"San Francisco",
    "est_lat":"37.xxxx",
    "est_lon":"-122.xxxx",
    "reason":"sentry_aware_object_detection"
}

Yes. Clips are 10 minutes and it can be frustrating as to why some times were saved. I have viewed clips with activity happening in the background and being saved as Sentry events. (i.e. car is parked and traffic in distance passing by, people getting out of cars 2-3 rows away in parking lots, bushes in front of car while parked moving in the wind, etc...)

Doesn't it store the past 10 minutes after the triggering event? In otherwords, the trigger is near the end of the sequence?

I haven't had a chance to see anything yet, but have reviewed other footage. The 10 mins at once, and synchronized multi-cam view, is fantastic IMO.

Doesn't it store the past 10 minutes after the triggering event? In otherwords, the trigger is near the end of the sequence?

I haven't had a chance to see anything yet, but have reviewed other footage. The 10 mins at once, and synchronized multi-cam view, is fantastic IMO.
I think you are correct. Usually around the 8 or 9 minute mark.

Reactions: theredviper