Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So early this week i started the download for 2020.12.5 but didnt install. Today i went to update it and it downloaded 2020.8.3.
... Should i be concerned?

2020 m3 LR - 173 miles... primary use these days is lol's for my 7 and 4 year old with the whoopee cushion app.

The dashcam always records and stores video files in 1-minute intervals. The exact length of a saved set of files depends on where within the most recent 1-minute interval the trigger event happens.
That's right, it saves them into 1 minute chunks, but the actual recording length is usually 10 minutes (roughly - sometimes shorter for various reasons). Each of the folders in the Saved/Sentry Clips folders is one of those ~10 minute recordings, just split up into one minute pieces times the four cameras. The new built in cam viewer stitches together those 1 minute chunks, I also have a script on my computer that does the same.

Last edited:
It seems like cone detection goes into a high vigilance mode for some specified distance after it sees the first cone marking just about everything as a cone.

So far I've had cones display for:

Telephone poles (especially with a reflector or a orange fiber bundle)
Variable message board signs
Bridge abutments
Fire hydrants
Pedestrians
Street trees
Traffic light posts (seems to only be those with a push to cross button)
Plow markers
Parking lot bollards
Trackhoes
Stop signs

Reactions: aspec818
So early this week i started the download for 2020.12.5 but didnt install. Today i went to update it and it downloaded 2020.8.3.
... Should i be concerned?

2020 m3 LR - 173 miles... primary use these days is lol's for my 7 and 4 year old with the whoopee cushion app.

I had the same thing happen. I am not too worried about it, though, since I hear both versions perform equally well in the garage.

That's right, it saves them into 1 minute chunks, but the actual recording length is usually 10 minutes (roughly - sometimes shorter for various reasons).
Yes, but you'll notice that the most recent files in a 10-minute set are often shorter than the others. This happens when the triggering event was early in the most recent 1-minute interval. Sentry always saves the currently recording file plus the 10 previous files (if the dashcam has been active long enough). In total it's always 44 files ((10+1)*4 cameras). So the total recording time varies between 10 and 11 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: sduck
I still dont have this update avaiable is that normal? i had an update the other day that i was waiting to install. Once i moved my router for stronger signal i went into my car and it said i had no more update to be installed? .... nothing was done automatically either still have no dashcam viewer.

I continue to be impressed by the traffic cone recognition capability in this release. First photo below shows that a traffic cone tipped on its side is correctly recognized.

View attachment 532977
This photo shows that even small cones, in this case a “pop up” style cone that is only about 18” high is correctly identified.

View attachment 532978

First photo shows it correctly identified the cone but not the parked car.

It may be coincidence, but I was getting tired of waiting for the update so I tried a ... reset... and as soon as it rebooted it started downloading.
It was a coincidence

...hard reset (brake + scroll wheels)...

...a soft reset...

Foot on brake plus two scroll wheels...

Foot on brake pedal while double thumb scroll wheel reset is no different than no brake pedal. This is a persistent urban myth.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
An update after a reset is not necessarily a coincidence. It is possible that the MCU is malfunctioning, not checking, not downloading, or not notifying you about the update. In that case a reset can get things working correctly again. It won't get an update that Tesla hasn't scheduled for you yet, but if an update has been waiting for your MCU to get on the ball it can clear the problem and immediately start a download. Something to try if your update seems late, but not something that gets you an update before Tesla is good and ready.

I had to call Service to get my second to last update. Resets didn't work. If you're in the last 2% of cars with your current firmware you might give that a try.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Was following a car on AP yesterday when we arrived at some red traffic lights which were part-way through a turn, where the road also widens.

Car in front slows and stops, my car slows and stops at a 45degree angle to the car in front, which seemed a bit excessive - my guess is that it was aiming for the middle of the widening road when we had to stop.

A couple of cars undertook and lined up next to the car I was waiting behind.

Then, maybe 15 seconds after stopping, my car started freaking out: the red "take over immediately" warning flashed up on the screen, it started beeping like crazy, and the hazard lights even started flashing... certainly made me jump lol

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: JulienW and elf9
Is there any other reset/reboot method that is different than the double-salute?

Pressing the brake pedal during a scroll wheel reset used to be a thing, but many are arguing that it is no different than the normal reset.

There is the power off reset: sit in the driver's seat with the door closed, navigate to the power off button on the screen (service menu?). Tap the power off button, sit there for 3-5 minutes (3 seems common now, 5 used to be the advice) without touching anything. Restart the car by stepping on the brake pedal.

You can also disconnect the 12V battery as a reset. You'll have to look that one up for a safe procedure. But it will definitely restart everything.