Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen 1 chargers with a 100 amp service will charge older Model S with dual chargers up to 80 amps.
Newer Model S can be charged up to 72 amps with the Gen 1 charger. I had a 2015 with dual chargers and now have a 2016 with the 72 amp charge capability.
I was talking about Mobile Connector, not Wall Connector. Gen 1 Mobile Connector (aka UMC) is limited to 40A.

Last edited:
Reactions: BozieBeMe2
With the Mobile Connector, the max current is determined by the type of adapter you select, plus it is capped by the Mobile Connector itself: Gen1 - 40A, Gen2 - 32A.
Thanks, I have the new Gen 2 & I purchased the 14-50 plug head for the new style unit. When the car is charging, the ends are warm but not hot. Plus, this setup has been running without issues for close to 3 months. The only change was firmware 20.16.2.1

Thanks, I have the new Gen 2 & I purchased the 14-50 plug head for the new style unit. When the car is charging, the ends are warm but not hot. Plus, this setup has been running without issues for close to 3 months. The only change was firmware 20.16.2.1

As I understand, you had the limit set (inside the car) to 30A before the update. The update must have reset it back to the default (i.e. 40A with the 14-50 plug). That's what likely happened.

However, the point I was trying to make is that if the circuits are all rated correctly, you shouldn't need to lower the current. NEMA 14-15 plug assumes a 50A rated circuit and should have no problem with continuous 40A current that Tesla defaults to with that plug. If you are having some issues running it at 40A, then there might be a problem with your wiring. I would urge you investigate it! Have an electrician check your wiring and the circuit-breaker. Verify that everything is indeed rated for 50A.

And are you sure it was charging at 40A, not 32A? Because Gen-2 Mobile Connector is supposed to be limited to 32A.

Last edited:
As I understand, you had the limit set (inside the car) to 30A before the update. The update must have reset it back to the default (i.e. 40A with the 14-50 plug). That's what likely happened.

However, the point I was trying to make is that if the circuits are all rated correctly, you shouldn't need to lower the current. NEMA 14-15 plug assumes a 50A rated circuit and should have no problem with continuous 40A current that Tesla defaults to with that plug. If you are having some issues running it at 40A, then there might be a problem with your wiring. I would urge you investigate it! Have an electrician check your wiring and the circuit-breaker. Verify that everything is indeed rated for 50A.

And are you sure it was charging at 40A, not 32A? Because Gen-2 Mobile Connector is supposed to be limited to 32A.
I am planning on replacing the breakers as soon as I get back home. More than likely, one has become weak
Plus, I am going to check both leads to make sure the load is balanced

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I noticed that AP automatically increased my max speed when the speed limit increased. So AP was able to automatically accelerate to the new speed limit on its own. In the past, I would need to manually increase the max speed. A small but welcome improvement to AP on this update version.

Reactions: boonedocks
Just got the 2020.16.2.1 and the same problem as others reported: my SSD is no longer recognized. :(
It's a 500 GB Samsung T5 with two FAT32 partitions: one for music, one for TeslaCam. Neither one is recognized by the car.
It worked fine in 2020.12.11.5 and is still readable on a computer, and is error-checked.
I will experiment with various formats over the weekend.

How did you go? I just installed 2020.20.1 and my T5 is still not recognised.

• Informative
Reactions: onthecake
How did you go? I just installed 2020.20.1 and my T5 is still not recognised.

I decided not to mess with reformatting the SSD drive as I have MCU upgrade scheduled for next week. Hopefully that will fix this problem too.

You have a Model 3? You should be fine, I believe it's pre-March 2018 (MCU1) S & Xs having the issue.

Indeed! I just tried the same FAT32 partitioned SSD drive in the Model 3 and it worked just fine. The same 2020.16.2.1. So I do think this is MCU1 related.

You have a Model 3? You should be fine, I believe it's pre-March 2018 (MCU1) S & Xs having the issue.

So the dashcam red light comes on and sentry mode doesn't complain but I have had that drive plugged in and recording events for like 6 mos and when i went to the viewer it said there was nothing there. for sure it was full of videos. also the 'format drive' under security settings was greyed out for me so i'm not sure what that means. it would seem it must have formatted my drive since it saw none of the previous video events on my disk or maybe it is now putting them somewhere else? i clicked on save dashcam and it did show up in the viewer so i'm not really sure if it is indeed working or not but apparently it has no idea about all the videos before it. something isn't right for sure. at the very least i would like to understand why i cannot use the format function in car

Few updates back my AP2/MCU1 did get out of passing lane just like a human driver and all of a sudden Tesla took it away. If this feature is purely AP3 now then it's just another marketing BS. Just like how they took away Lane change feature from basic AP and added it to FSD.
I'd be far less annoyed with the not getting out of passing lane issue, if it didn't merge into the passing lane lane on it's own. I have a service appointment to get this bug fixed. I will take a loaner car and will not return it until the car leaves the passing lane again. I am just under 50k miles and I refuse to pay $3k to get that feature back.

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I'd be far less annoyed with the not getting out of passing lane issue, if it didn't merge into the passing lane lane on it's own. I have a service appointment to get this bug fixed. I will take a loaner car and will not return it until the car leaves the passing lane again. I am just under 50k miles and I refuse to pay $3k to get that feature back.
We have some crazy drivers here in and around Philly and on major highways most people are driving 15-20+mph above speed limit so NoA was basically useless on AP2. I always had to manually lane change which defeat the purpose of NoA.