Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.24.6.4 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Near as I can tell the release notes re the navigating to non Tesla DCFC charging points and pre-conditioning for those are bogus. From what I can tell from checking with others nobody sees non Tesla charging facilities showing up on their lightning bolt thingy. Kinda weird...or maybe it’s regional.

Near as I can tell the release notes re the navigating to non Tesla DCFC charging points and pre-conditioning for those are bogus. From what I can tell from checking with others nobody sees non Tesla charging facilities showing up on their lightning bolt thingy. Kinda weird...or maybe it’s regional.

Here in Las Vegas it shows the non-Tesla chargers. Not sure if it’ll pre-condition for them or not though. I updated last night but haven’t driven yet. Usually this far into a single line update version is bug fixes and a/b testing.

Here in Las Vegas it shows the non-Tesla chargers. Not sure if it’ll pre-condition for them or not though. I updated last night but haven’t driven yet. Usually this far into a single line update version is bug fixes and a/b testing.

So thinking it maybe regional then. Maybe Canada is excluded although it’s in our release notes. It’s a shame. Chademo locations outnumber Superchargers here close to 12 to 1 now...and more every week.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry you don’t need to precondition the battery for a 50 kw charger.

It's being phased in region by region. I think California gets it first.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Another new thing in this version that I've not seen anyone make mention of: Theater always had an issue where it would turn off the interior (dome) lights when entering a Theater mode, but wouldn't turn them back on after exiting Theater. Now, that's fixed - it restores the previous setting.

That's huge for me as I use YouTube in Theater almost every day during lunch breaks (it's nice to chill out and watch a movie or Technology Connections or Wintergatan or somethin'). Always bugged me that I had to go and switch the dome lights back to "auto" every time, manually.

With every new update, I'd gone and checked if it was fixed... today was the first update that actually has it fixed. :)

I had the 2020.24.6.4 update today, and now Sentry detected an event almost every minute.

I have to turn Sentry off otherwise the front lights flash which trigger my dashcam and I received an alert on my phone.

I can check remotely my dashcam live video stream and I can see the flash while nobody is around the car?

I also went to my car and there was Sentry messages. When clicking on the message, the Sentry recording is shown.

Each recording has now a red spot when the front lights are flashing but nobody is around the car?

Sorry you don’t understand how preconditioning works in the cold.
Well, actually CHAdeMO is usually going to get you 33kw. Unless it's below zero, you'll be fine since the car will warm up enough while driving. I've never experienced any slowdown at CHAdeMO chargers in Oregon or Washington in the winter when my battery isn't warm.

Canada might be another story. Never taken my car anywhere below 0F.

But Bjorn has. And even with a cold battery in Norway, he still starts off at 37kw charging. Within 2.5 minutes the battery is heated enough that the battery heater turns off. And within 4 minutes he's getting full charge rate of 50.

So you have 4 minutes of slightly reduced charge speed. Lets see. 4 minutes at a 14kw charging rate difference. That's a missed charge of less than 1kw. But then the car is charging at 50kw. So not preconditioning will cost you like 61 seconds longer charge on CHAdeMO (125A).

And if you're using a CHAdeMO (100Amp) - there's no slowdown at all.

Still think preconditioning is necessary for CHAdeMO? It's nice, but I don't think it's necessary unless you live somewhere colder than Norway.

Last edited:
Reactions: FalconFour
Sorry you don’t understand how preconditioning works in the cold.
yeah this is the part where I start taking issue with presumed know-it-alls dishing out unwarranted snark.

Preconditioning is excessive. As evidenced in the video above, Tesla has an issue with excessive heating - not just "making the battery not be cold", but "heating the battery to quite high temperatures" (120f+). They condition the battery for 250kW charging, even when the station is only delivering 40kW through the highly constrained CHAdeMO adapter (only around 35kW of which gets to the battery as 5kW is used to constantly heat the battery so the battery can absorb a 250kW charging rate that will never come).

I haven't used a CHAdeMO charger in a while to watch its stats, but that's what I (also) observed late last year. Maybe it's changed by then. Point is, the issue is a serious one and needs nuance, not snarky dismissal.