Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how will this work for cars with the FSD computer but MCU1 like our 2016 Model S? I don't imagine that we'll be able to see the 3D speed limit sign visualizations, but hopefully the car will read the speed limit signs instead of just using GPS speed.

We don't get other new visualizations but supposedly the car is still processing the data in the background since we now have the FSD computer installed (cones, etc), but I have some doubts about that since the other day I tested it on a quiet road where cones were shifting traffic a half lane over & the car was about to drive straight into the cones to follow the lane lines...

Tested 36 a little bit this morning. It sucks imo. The green light chime seems to only work for non-arrow lights, and I heard the chime even when I was in a left turn lane (although my left arrow was red and the straight lights turned green).

Also, I was on NoA at an exit, and my car decided to take the exit at 25mph (there was a 25mph limit sign on my dash, but the max circle was doing the NoA taper) instead of the usual NoA speed taper (50-45-40-35 etc.).

Lane keeping and speed regulation doesn't seem better. If anything, it's a bit worse on curves, lol. Overall underwhelming update. The only new and exciting feature is speed limit signs.

Tested 36 a little bit this morning. It sucks imo. The green light chime seems to only work for non-arrow lights, and I heard the chime even when I was in a left turn lane (although my left arrow was red and the straight lights turned green).

Also, I was on NoA at an exit, and my car decided to take the exit at 25mph (there was a 25mph limit sign on my dash, but the max circle was doing the NoA taper) instead of the usual NoA speed taper (50-45-40-35 etc.).

Lane keeping and speed regulation doesn't seem better. If anything, it's a bit worse on curves, lol. Overall underwhelming update. The only new and exciting feature is speed limit signs.
Various reddit post about this being the first drop of the 're-write' code. Also, it will be great to get this out there and have them get 1000s and 1000s of test/verifications (ie. compare what the computer suggest to what the human actually does (chime when you were in red arrowed lane)).

2020.36 Release Notes includes Green Traffic Light Chime and Speed Limit Sign Recognition!! : teslamotors
AFowF3y.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Re: Elon's tweet. From above:
UPtimLj.jpg

&
7YWthiR.jpg

Shadow Mode is real but I think there has been some misconceptions about what it does. But Tesla has mentioned it specifically by name, most notably during Autonomy Day:

"Our next generation automatic emergency braking which will not just stop for people in your path but also stop for people that are going to be in your path and that's running in shadow mode right now and we'll go out to the fleet this quarter. I'll talk about shadow mode in a second."

Shadow Mode was described this way during Autonomy Day:

"When we initially have some algorithms that we want to try out, we can put them on the fleet and we can see what they would have done in a real world scenario such as this car that is overtaking us very quickly. And this is taken from our actual simulation environment, showing different paths that we considered taking and how those overlay with real world behavior of a user."

VMsJqoG.png

Last edited:
Re: Elon's tweet. From above:
UPtimLj.jpg

&
7YWthiR.jpg

Ugh, Elon is facetious at times, but when he clearly refutes something as a matter of fact checking, I'd believe him. He could have avoided addressing it at all. There's always this rumor and that rumor about Tesla, so if he decides to address a particular rumor with a straightforward reply like that, he's not kidding or being deceptive.

Plus, the rewrite is a foundational rewrite of all of AP. I'm not sure it's even possible to run the rewrite in parts or a little bit?

Anyway, I'm not convinced. Plus, it's not at all relevant to the AP experience. That's why these rumor people can say whatever they want. Hopefully green can give a final answer.

What was the posted speed on the exit (assuming there was one)? If there was one, did it read it correctly? How fast were you going before taking the exit?

What was the posted speed on the exit (assuming there was one)? If there was one, did it read it correctly? How fast were you going before taking the exit?

There was no speed sign (don't remember seeing one), and I was exiting at 70mph. At the beginning of the exit, I saw the 25mph sign on my dash, and my car quickly but smoothly slowed to 40mph and then 35mph, which was well below the 60-50-40 usual NoA taper.

Ugh, Elon is facetious at times, but when he clearly refutes something as a matter of fact checking, I'd believe him. He could have avoided addressing it at all. There's always this rumor and that rumor about Tesla, so if he decides to address a particular rumor with a straightforward reply like that, he's not kidding or being deceptive.

Plus, the rewrite is a foundational rewrite of all of AP. I'm not sure it's even possible to run the rewrite in parts or a little bit?

Anyway, I'm not convinced. Plus, it's not at all relevant to the AP experience. That's why these rumor people can say whatever they want. Hopefully green can give a final answer.
I agree with this. The claims are very unclear, terms like “include components” and “friends telling me otherwise” give lots of space to be right and little space to be proven wrong. Imo people should practice telling statements that easily could be proven wrong, it’s a great skill to have!

Imo what we can tell is that
Elon says that 100% the new neural network is not running live.
Elon indicates that likely the new neural network is not running in shadow mode.
Redditors are claiming that some components are included, if this is graphics for future visualizations or neural networks that at some point might be run in shadow mode or neural networks that are running in shadow mode we don’t know.

Imo what could make everyone correct is if there is no code running in shadow mode for normal users, but a few select Tesla employees will have a possibility to run it live or in shadow mode or if 36.x future version will at some point be able to run it in shadow mode.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod