Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after a long dry spell since December 24, I finally got upgraded last night to 2020.4.1. So I wonder what is different about this update which seems to be special for MCU1 cars like mine versus 40.50.7 which I have been informed that my car is not capable of installing that update.

I do see in the release notes information regarding voice commands. I wonder if Development ever considered a keyword like okay Google or Alexa (for example Hey Tesla) in order to trigger voice commands. That would seem to be certainly easier then having to press a button to communicate.

Reactions: Wanderer
Well after a long dry spell since December 24, I finally got upgraded last night to 2020.4.1. So I wonder what is different about this update which seems to be special for MCU1 cars like mine versus 40.50.7 which I have been informed that my car is not capable of installing that update.

I do see in the release notes information regarding voice commands. I wonder if Development ever considered a keyword like okay Google or Alexa (for example Hey Tesla) in order to trigger voice commands. That would seem to be certainly easier then having to press a button to communicate.

the processing power to do that, ie listen constantly for trigger commands, does not exist in MCU1

I too am on MCU1 (2015 S 85D) and was also able to upgrade to 2020.4.1 last night (did so today). Agree that a “Hey Tesla” prompt would be better than the button but makes sense that it is not possible on a 5-year old processor. And I still have 3G which makes things slow. Can’t wait to get my new 3 LR.

I received 20.4.1 a few days ago for my 2018 Model S with MCU2 and upgraded HW3, so it was not just for MCU1 cars.

Reactions: GMan324
I wonder if Development ever considered a keyword like okay Google or Alexa (for example Hey Tesla) in order to trigger voice commands. That would seem to be certainly easier then having to press a button to communicate.

Why would you want your car to be constantly listening to you? Does a person exists who finds a 2 cm movement of the right thumb to be an inconvenience, or did Amazon and Apple really change your life into something "magical"?

My Blackvue dashcam died right after I upgraded to 2020.4.1 on my classic Model S85. Just a coincidence right? No others see this? I can't imagine Tesla was able to disable the 12V port it's fed off of with this new 2020 release... but I've yet had a chance to measure the 12V line with a DMM.
Any more info on this? I have 2 Blackvues.....

It's it possible they changed the amperage output on the socket or USB ports again?

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Why would you want your car to be constantly listening to you? Does a person exists who finds a 2 cm movement of the right thumb to be an inconvenience, or did Amazon and Apple really change your life into something "magical"?
I totally agree. Pushing the button is faster and more convenient than saying something that the car may or may not hear and the idea of having Tesla listen to everything that is said in the car all the time seems really creepy to me. If they ever would implement this feature, I sure hope they make it optional.

I totally agree. Pushing the button is faster and more convenient than saying something that the car may or may not hear and the idea of having Tesla listen to everything that is said in the car all the time seems really creepy to me. If they ever would implement this feature, I sure hope they make it optional.

In the confines of a car cabin, while there is still a driver and a steering wheel, a button to start AND STOP speech recognition is far the best option. Seems like a waste of resources to process all speech looking for trigger words, and I absolutely would not enable such a facility.

On my 2016 Model S, this software release brings some great new features, most notably being able to have your texts read out to you in the car and being able to respond with voice. Below are the release notes on mine. Some newer cars may already have had all of this, but on my car, these features were not yet available.

Here is the release notes on my 2016 Model S:
D4F52890-4A3F-42F1-89B0-F13844577DFE.jpeg

AD7A741E-811D-46B6-B2ED-671CF2E47F87.jpeg

ED19CF1B-F2B4-48C1-8D83-8F66B5503C3A.jpeg

So this release is awful. You say call John Smith, it’s writes cool John smith and can’t find the command.

one plus seems to be that it doesn’t unlock the car constantly (MS) when you clean it so not as much water will get in the handles. And at least you can read the release notes now.

the awful voice recognition makes it unusable.

Reactions: Wanderer
I agree that the voice recognition is significantly worse than it used to be. I was always impressed how good it was in the past, especially compared to other voice recognition software I used. However, I have been struggling since I did the update. The car does not seem to recognize what Is say as well and some commands I am used to using all the time e.g., “Navigate to Planet Fitness” don’t seem to work at all anymore. I have not yet figured out if is is a recognition issue or if the commands have just changed.

The messaging feature, where you can respond to messages, sounds great in theory but whenever I say/dictate a response it comes out wrong making the feature hard to use.

So this release is awful. You say call John Smith, it’s writes cool John smith and can’t find the command.

one plus seems to be that it doesn’t unlock the car constantly (MS) when you clean it so not as much water will get in the handles. And at least you can read the release notes now.

It's that British accent!! :) j/k, I'm from the UK but live in the US, still have my accent, but find the car understands me better than I expected, and certainly as well as Siri (who thinks I say "turn the lights UP" when I say "turn the lights OFF" sigh).

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL