Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 7k brake Grooves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And?

My discs looked exactly like yours, due to very little and light brake usage when daily driving.

I then used the car hard for an hour, and the discs look like this. Notice the discolouration? If your discs don't have this, you haven't used them hard.
20210321_221218.jpg

Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
This is from last night
Jumping on the brakes for about 20mins 70-30 multiple times
Im head out tonight and will give it 30mins of 70-30 stops.

Attachments

• 343C4BCC-02B9-43FC-8689-BE7DF4AD3764.jpeg
    343C4BCC-02B9-43FC-8689-BE7DF4AD3764.jpeg
    517.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 82A0FA1B-15EC-40F9-B376-9EF9C197B01D.jpeg
    82A0FA1B-15EC-40F9-B376-9EF9C197B01D.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 103
I find it really funny that you have to drive the car like a bell end to try and make your discs look as quoted not a LP record..
Funny u say about my braking but ive drove plenty of track days over the years so im amused of your childish comment ‘but each to there own’
I stick to what i say and feel they are at fault. I love the car in Every expect im expressing my thoughts.

I find it really funny that you have to drive the car like a bell end to try and make your discs look as quoted not a LP record..
Funny u say about my braking but ive drove plenty of track days over the years so im amused of your childish comment ‘but each to there own’
I stick to what i say and feel they are at fault. I love the car in Every expect im expressing my thoughts.

Well you don't have to drive it like a bell end if you do a couple hard stops every so often. You let the corrosion set it a lot more by lightly using the brakes for months on end. It's going to take some work to remove that built up corrosion. That said. It already looks better than it did and it won't negatively affect your brakes in any way aside from the cosmetic look of the rotors regardless of what you do.

Reactions: Clivew

Those certainly don’t look like they‘ve been through 20 min of bedding procedure. Did you try the stops with the car in neutral? Did you feel heat coming from the brakes/discs?
If so there might be something going on that’s outside the ev normal. Having plenty of track experience, I presume you have some mechanical ability. I’d take take the pads off and take a look to see what’s going on.

But in the end did the brakes perform as expected? If so it’s still more cosmetic than an impacting Issue.

Why are you so predisposed about what your discs look like? The car is an EV with regen braking, but you seem to be comparing the ‘look’ of the discs with previous ICE cars you’ve owned.

Childish comment? It was a joke. Jeez, lighten up man.

90% of people I see on track have very low driving ability, so saying you’ve done track days means absolutely nothing in respect to your braking technique.

The discs are not ‘at fault’ there is nothing wrong with them, and I’m way more qualified than any mechanic at Tesla.

Why are you so predisposed about what your discs look like? The car is an EV with regen braking, but you seem to be comparing the ‘look’ of the discs with previous ICE cars you’ve owned.

Childish comment? It was a joke. Jeez, lighten up man.

90% of people I see on track have very low driving ability, so saying you’ve done track days means absolutely nothing in respect to your braking technique.

The discs are not ‘at fault’ there is nothing wrong with them, and I’m way more qualified than any mechanic at Tesla.

I've never bedded the pads on this car. I never really thought about it, but this thread has me thinking...do we need to do a proper bedding on the brakes in order to have good stopping power? Because even on my performance, my brakes "feel" pretty weak. By feel I mean, I feel like I should be slowing down faster than I am. I have not done instrumented testing.

Thanks.

I've never bedded the pads on this car. I never really thought about it, but this thread has me thinking...do we need to do a proper bedding on the brakes in order to have good stopping power? Because even on my performance, my brakes "feel" pretty weak. By feel I mean, I feel like I should be slowing down faster than I am. I have not done instrumented testing.

Thanks.
You can, but eventually if you don't heat up pads enough they will scrub pad deposit from rotors again. Strictly speaking Tesla should beef up motors, add supercapacitors and resistive load and remove brake rotors altogether. Or make a ceramic layer on them at least. Or ignore that problem altogether and release Roadster already...

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and MasterC17

Thanks.

I’ve bedded in my pads, and for me it definitely helped. The brakes feel great on my M3P, road use only so far, but they get used hard when I go for a proper blast. (Threshold braking multiple times from above 100mph)

Reactions: KenC