Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Deliveries - Paint better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very close to pulling the trigger but the damn paint issues have me a little worried. I know I can get ppf but the thought of paying 2k to wrap right after delivery doesn't excite me.
Has there been any improvements or still just need to accept it and get it wrapped?

I wouldn't know, I have a '20 model that is white. There are paint defects and strange blobs of paint where corner folds (the truck, that area where license plant mounts. Just above it there's a bend)

Over all I'm happy enough not to worry about it. Unfortunately this is what Musk is aiming for, making cars that are okay enough to pass at the expense of 40-60K.

We need a '18 model to be compared to a '20 model

We have a 2020 March build. Blue. Flawless.

FWIW.

50162527881_76ff88d0f4_c.jpg

Last edited:
how many miles?
Any chips?

Maybe 4400 KM so not a ton. No chips, no issues. Took a rock to the door pilar and had to do a tiny touch-up. Could have been much worse. It was a BIG rock.

Really the car has been flawless for the most part. Added some additional bulb seal to quiet it down a bit. Mud flaps as you can see in the picture and wife got rid of the piano black centre console. Other minor additions like pedal covers but no issues.

50027390166_cc7bd3cec1_c.jpg

Its a complex question because a. people have different thresholds for defects and overall condition of the paint and car (new, used, etc). b. most are not professional detailers, repair shop or spray booth painters and so what is unacceptable and full of defects to one, will be flawless to another.

Then there is also the variability of build and paint quality, which is especially evident with Tesla and 3/Y siblings.

You can just as easily get a 2018 Model 3 that you would consider flawless (with the few additional bells/whistles of early production cars) as a completely botched 2020/2021 Model 3 or Y. Or you can get lucky and pickup a well put together and decently or even industry standard painted 2020/2021 Model 3 and Y that will match or surpass the fit/finish of the 2018 above.

At the end it all boils down to you (your expectations, perception, level of knowledge or ignorance, level of OCD) and the particular VIN they offer you at delivery and its history from assembly to the showroom floor.

Generalizations such as 2021s are mint and much better-er than 2017/18/19/20 or 2018s paint is crap and Q2/3 2020s are now flawless - rarely apply in this industry and even less so with Tesla.

Good luck on pulling the trigger. Even if the paint is a dust speckle, orange peel, mismatched metal and plastic color mess, the car is a marvel.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra and tren01t
Who are you asking Adam?
Assuming some of the recent 2020 build owners.

It doesnt really matter though, its an indication of anything aside from non functional cosmetics hidden from plain sight - and I doubt Tesla reprogrammed the paint booth robots at Fremont more than they need to.

The difference can be apparent between US and China and soon German built and painted Model 3s. And down the line the CA vs TX built ones.

Regardless of how much/little those areas are painted, how the mastic looks, etc... the exposed surfaces paint finish is more telling.

Last edited:
We need a '18 model to be compared to a '20 model
I own a red July 2018 build LR RWD.

How is the paint at the trunk hinges and behind the front fenders. If you open your drivers door can you see the primered area behind the fender?
Yup, every time I open the doors, I see primer. And when I took delivery, it was a big deal to me. There are also other minor paint flaws that were present upon delivery. But you know what? Two years in, it doesn't really matter. I am the only one that really notices them. No one I know looks for primer inside my fenders or trunk, nor do they care when I point it out. Everyone that sees the car thinks it looks great. And it does. The minor flaws are only visible up close. Plus, the paint on very other red car that I have owned in the past has started to fade or dim from exposure to the sun and other factors within a year or two. The paint on this car still looks like new. All I have done is keep it clean and waxed and park it under cover when practical--no PPF or wraps. I may feel differently a few more years from now, but two years in, primer on the hinges is now only a minor irritant.

Reactions: Perscitus
Who are you asking Adam?
Assuming some of the recent 2020 build owners.

It doesnt really matter though, its an indication of anything aside from non functional cosmetics hidden from plain sight - and I doubt Tesla reprogrammed the paint booth robots at Fremont more than they need to.

The difference can be apparent between US and China and soon German built and painted Model 3s. And down the line the CA vs TX built ones.

Regardless of how much/little those areas are painted, how the mastic looks, etc... the exposed surfaces paint finish is more telling.

I was asking about the new ones off the line. Elon has acknowledged that paint is a weak point of the brand and its one of their chief complaints. There was talk of upgrading the paint shop as well and I was wondering if they've made any improvements at those two areas since they are common across all the colors.

Define what a scary paint issue is. I got a February 2020 Blue 3. Overall the paint is even and nice. No areas were missing paint. However, you can see a bit of drip mark on the driver's side, rear passenger door. It is big enough so that you can feel it.

I also have a couple of body panels that are not perfect. My frunk sits higher to the right of the logo, but the left side is perfect. It's not noticeable to others until I point it out. Additionally, where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel on the same driver's side, rear passenger door, you can see inside the seam of the panels. I think the gap is about 50% larger than it should be.

I didn't notice any of these flaws during pick up. I'm sure I was too excited, but there was really nothing else visibly wrong with the car. Though after a week I found a few more oddities that were fixed when I got my Homelink installation (fogging tail light, squeaking steering wheel at the extremes).

I have MSM from 2018 and I do not have any paint defects that I have noticed. I'm a hobbist detailer and recently polished and ceramic coated my car 2 weeks ago.

Black has been the color that seems to have the most compliants. It's the reason why white is now the included color

I wouldn't know, I have a '20 model that is white. There are paint defects and strange blobs of paint where corner folds (the truck, that area where license plant mounts. Just above it there's a bend)

Most of the issues seems to be the edges/folds.

Same on my '20 white. Though they're minor, and no obvious things like underspray

March 2020 build and the paint scratches very easily. Swirls everywhere even though I've been extremely careful on washes. I did have to lightly polish the trunk since there were residual/visible buffing marks, but nothing too noticeable.

Did get one rock chip on the rocker panel just behind the rear door - filled in with touch up paint.

I was fortunate to be able to inspect my M3 before buying it, as it was newly delivered, non-ordered just off the truck.

I became interested in Tesla in January when on CNBC they were discussing the quarterly results and referenced this new Model Y that was rated at over 300 miles. "Hey, that's what I've been looking for" I thought, as our drive is seasonally hauling ourselves and lots of belongings back and forth Maine/Florida.

I had the goal of getting an EV when I turned 70 (tomorrow, btw) for "my last car". Did my research, mostly on this site, and ordered a Y.

In March I was getting my ICE serviced in JAX, so drove the short ways to the Tesla sales center to see if they had any Ys. Closed: Covid. Sign in the windows directs to the service center a few miles away. To my liking they had just received 1/2 dozen or so Ys (and 3s). So, this being the closest I'd ever been to a Tesla, I explained that I had an order in but wouldn't buy one without a good test drive. Salesperson explains that all they have on the lot were spoken for and he wouldn't even open one for me to look inside. Not the trunk, even. Finally, he says that they have a car on an auxiliary lot a couple of miles away. Takes me there, shows me the basic controls, enters the address of the service center into navigation and says that I have one-half hour with the car.

Trying to make this short, I won't go into details about the drive, other than the road noise/wind concerns were alleviated for me, and the bottom line was: "I'm getting one of these!"

Back at the delivery/service center I see a MSM/White 3 (I'd decided that I've never been an SUV guy and couldn't become one now). "So, these are all sold? Like that one there?" Him: "Let me check....no, that must have come in the last couple of days and isn't spoken for."

So, I was able to go over it, and over it..... Paint, fit, everything fine! Went home, got my title to the ICE, stopped at CarMax got a quote (which was suspiciously exactly the same as Tesla's quote, to the dollar). Drove back home in my new Tesla Model 3! Wife says "I see you got your 70th birthday present early".

So, back on topic: I've bought many vehicles new: many Hondas, a Saab, an Infinity, 4 BMWs, (most recently two VW Sportwagens) etc. I have been over this car very closely by washing it many times, ("Your washing that car again!"), and waxing it a couple: To me the paint job is excellent; as good as any other I have purchased. Actually, I think it is better than most. Maybe it's the clearcoat on the metallic that makes it more luxurious to me, as the BMWs, Infinity, Saab, and VWs were all white or black. It appears thick, coverage is complete.

I recently found one small spot on the trunk lid that must have been a piece of dust, as it appears as if the lid was poked by something from the inside (which is impossible due to the internal plastic cover). I only noticed it now, 4 months after delivery probably due to the way the morning sun shines on the rear when the garage door is open. But other than that, everything good!

Reactions: ArcticStation
thanks for the write up. I've already talked with a shop down here about protection on the front of the car and getting more excited each day. The place is 1.8 miles away from delivery center, so slow careful drive and wrap that baby up.
Just praying for a near perfect/perfect specimen.

Thanks again for sharing ... always fun to check at the end of the day for any updates.

Stay safe.