Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model Y Performance or 2017 Model S 100D Performance? **

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
‪Would y’all rather buy a new 2020 Model Y Performance or 2017 Model S 100D Performance?‬ I’m looking at both of them, and they’re both around the same price. One difference is that I have no idea when the MYP will be ready for delivery (I ordered a black) and the MS 100D P is available now. Don’t need the car now, but definitely need it before June or July (at the latest).

Thanks in advance!

The MY will have all the latest tech (faster charging, latest MCU, new battery tech, latest AutoPilot etc) - so if that's more important to you, it's an easy decision.

Personally I prefer the design of the S and the tech is good enough for me.

Reactions: HrvatskaEV
I would get the model S, because I've no use for the CUV model Y, and I greatly prefer the look of the S, and the interior functionality with dual screens and buttons. It is also a faster vehicle, and I just like fast things.

Now, the model S 2017 may not have the latest hardware in the system. It didn't swap to 2.5 until August, so if it's before then the system will be slower than a shiny new Y. You can theoretically swap this out for $2.5k, I think it was, but that's added time and cost and may not be available soon.

It's a largely matter of preference, and what you plan on doing with the vehicle. More room to haul in the Y, more speed for the S.

Reactions: PhilDavid
In june 2019 I was looking at either a 3 or a used S.

I wanted a hatch back, solid roof, coil spring car.

If my S got stepped on by godzilla, I'd be getting a Y no question.

I do like my S though, and am *very* happy with it.

The S is the "beta tester" car where tesla tries out random things; the Y is their "sell gazillions of them and put everyone else out of business" car.

S is an older tech, older chassis, older battery tech based on 2012 design. Also consider your warranty on a new MY vs a used S.

the S is gorgeous to look at admittedly :)
But it’s an aging design and Tesla’s bastard child lol. Sales numbers keep dropping every quarter. Doesn’t get all the new goodies of the 3 or Y.

I’ve had an S now since 2016 and best car I’ve ever driven. If you want 2.5 sec blazing speed then go S. If you want stupid fast CUV speed then go MY.

My next will be a PM3 or PMY.

Reactions: SilverGS
I just had to make this exact decision and went with the S. Granted I've never test driven a 3 or Y so take it with a grain of salt. The S rides beautifully, looks beautiful, still has a ton of cargo room, and is stupid stupid fast. I don't live and die by the MCU/AP so I'm able to deal with the disappointment of the upgrade delays for now. I mostly just needed bluetooth, streaming, and an AP which is competent in stop and go highway traffic, and the 17 S is able to do all those things.

well you have to consider that this is the S board so you're going to get skewed opinions. Tech is better in the Y for sure but I prefer the exterior and interior of the S. IMO, the car is already spartan given the cost of the car so I wouldn't be happy with the single touch screen. And neck snapping acceleration never gets old....

Reactions: croman
Find out how many supercharger miles the S has and if it has been locked to 80KW charge rate. My 2017 has and charging is frustrating, I only have a 75, not sure I could stand the wait on 100.

I had the same decision last year between a new 3 and a 2017 S and the S is just more of a car so I went with it before chargegate.

I'd go for the S again but not if the charge rate has been depleted.

I would get the model S, because I've no use for the CUV model Y, and I greatly prefer the look of the S, and the interior functionality with dual screens and buttons. It is also a faster vehicle, and I just like fast things.

Now, the model S 2017 may not have the latest hardware in the system. It didn't swap to 2.5 until August, so if it's before then the system will be slower than a shiny new Y. You can theoretically swap this out for $2.5k, I think it was, but that's added time and cost and may not be available soon.

It's a largely matter of preference, and what you plan on doing with the vehicle. More room to haul in the Y, more speed for the S.

The S has a much larger trunk than the Y and has more rear seat legroom (the Y has a bit more space to tuck your feet under the front seat).

If you value having the absolute newest technology available and do not need tons of space, practicality or quality, pick the Y.
If you value luxury, speed, comfort and practicality, and don't mind having the second newest technology, pick the S.

Make sure you disinfect the car when you take delivery, should that be during the COVID-19 pandemic. Stay safe and enjoy - both are great cars!