Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The BROOKLANDS is presently using the Mona Passage to enter the Atlantic from the Caribbean.
It is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the channel it's about 100m deep. On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the channel can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.

I just received a tip that the HOEGH OSLO may be worth keeping an eye on.
It's currently off Los Angeles and heading for San Diego however it is due to call in at Benicia on Mon 24 Feb. Once it has unloaded there it will cross the San Francisco Bay to Pier 80.
HOEGH OSLO was very popular last year when it delivered Model 3s to Zeebrugge & Southampton. Car were transported by road across the USA and then shipped from Philladelphia. This boosted the Q3 figures by providing a 7th shipload to EU which would not have been possible if shipped normally via Panama.
I haven't figured out however how this fits with MORNING CATHERINE's schedule. One document I have seen suggests that she is actually off to Chile but she is still showing on the San Francisco port schedule. More work required here...

Don't you have Musk in your contacts list

Darn it. Will have to think of a different ruse now ...

I've had quick delivery on all the cars, I have zero idea why, and Lady Luck almost never shines on me like that ... I should have bought a lottery ticket (or some shares ...)

I think common options & Heathrow helped. Maybe cash purchase too (I just phoned up and said "What have you got lying around"; was surprised in January when he said "Nothing ..." )

The BROOKLANDS is presently using the Mona Passage to enter the Atlantic from the Caribbean.
It is the gap between the Dominican Republic to the west and Puerto Rico to the east.
On the Atlantic side lies the Puerto Rico Trench which is about 8000m deep whereas in the channel it's about 100m deep. On the Caribbean side it's about 1000m deep. Additionally, there is a significant current that runs from south to north.
This 'shallowness' in the channel can be responsible for some pretty treacherous seas with some horrendously big waves.
It's not something that is too much of a concern for big ships but for smaller vessels the 'dreaded' Mona Passage has a fearsome reputation and navigating it is something that needs careful advanced planning and respect.
It is also the site of a significant British victory in 1782 when British and French warships engaged there.

See image for current satellite tracking position

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200222-085552.jpg
    Screenshot_20200222-085552.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 54