Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if they’re both going to Europe or not. Seems safe to assume one will be as Tesla are still advertising LR and Performance orders for June deliveries.

I'd be surprised if that was the case.
The ASIAN GLORY doesn't arrive at Pier 80 until 1 June and so won't leave until, say, 3 June.
That means if it were to come to Europe it wouldn't arrive until 24/25 June.
Tesla will want all those cars to be delivered by the end of the quarter which will be a bit of a push even for Tesla.
It is not a large vessel either, in fact it's one of the smallest - it doesn't make economic sense to send a small shipment.

There is also the thought that none of these vessels will coming to Europe - you may recall that very early on in Q1 Tesla UK warned that after March there would be no deliveries until June. Quite why was never explained but opinion was that priority was going to be given to the establishment of the Model Y production. That priority may still be in place and satisfying the US Model Y market at the moment makes sense.

So there is the possibilty that we may not see any ships at all leaving for Europe until early July.....

Entirely possible, but only a few weeks ago someone in Tesla adjusted the SR+ estimated delivery from June to August (more inline with your theory) but the LR and Performance orders are still June even today.

With SR's not shipping the quanity required to fufil these higher margin orders would be smaller and more easily achieved than having to factor in loading SR's onto the ship, meaning a smaller ship could be fit the bill and allow for some EU deliveries before end of Q2.

Who knows, we just have to see what happens :)

Reactions: Mark S
Is it not possible that both upcoming ships are coming to Europe? As I see in het sceduelle it happened before that 2 ships left for Zeebrugge after each other.

does anyone know what the time is between unloading and first cars are being delivered to their new owners ?

Is it not possible that both upcoming ships are coming to Europe? As I see in het sceduelle it happened before that 2 ships left for Zeebrugge after each other.

does anyone know what the time is between unloading and first cars are being delivered to their new owners ?

It's certainly possible.
The quickest delivery from ship arrival must be last December when a shipload of Model 3s arrived in Amsterdam on 20 Dec and were collected directly from the dock by customers.

You should get the RN as soon as the order is placed.
No RN = no order in place.
I had an automatic notification on the 5th May that the order had been placed, recent communication with lease company stated that Tesla are slow to respond with RN numbers for lease cars? Also told that delivery for lease companies has to be last few weeks of each quarter, since that is the next month I am beginning to doubt that I will get my car this side of September now

If the GRAND VENUS doesn't come to Europe then on the basis of what you say, you could be right, however I'm not convinced that it is right. Leasing companies seem to be aggregating their orders into chunks and that's what is causing delays. You hear stories on this forum of leasing companies not placing orders with Tesla for months.
I have always suggested that folk order their car on the website themselves and then pass the RN to the leasing company. OK it costs you £100 but you get that back from Tesla after delivery (eventually, according to those who have done it).
Change your leasing company, if you can.

Reactions: Godsense
When do we know if GRAND VENUS and/or ASIAN GLORY is going to Europe?

At the moment there are no indications I can find that either of them are coming to Europe.
That said, these are unusual times and schedules etc have all been significantly disrupted and so I am not overly surprised to find none of the usual tell tales. Although I am constantly researching, it may come down to waiting for the ship to sail.
Having said that, I have been tipped off that cars destined for EU are in production and so if true, I would expect the GRAND VENUS to be EU bound. (I thought the GLOVIS COMPOSER was likely to EU bound)
I also think the ASIAN GLORY is too small and will arrive too late to be EU bound.
I could be completely wrong as these are unusual times. I am also a bit wary of tip-offs from unproven sources.

At the moment however it's wait and see.....

I should add that one source of information is the SFGate website.
It publishes a list of departing ships from San francisco and their destinations.
It is however astonishingly* unreliable for many departures but seems to get the transatlantic departures right and so, just for that, it's worth keeping an eye on.

*Astonishingly because the source of the information is an expensive subscription based service.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
If the GRAND VENUS doesn't come to Europe then on the basis of what you say, you could be right, however I'm not convinced that it is right. Leasing companies seem to be aggregating their orders into chunks and that's what is causing delays. You hear stories on this forum of leasing companies not placing orders with Tesla for months.
I have always suggested that folk order their car on the website themselves and then pass the RN to the leasing company. OK it costs you £100 but you get that back from Tesla after delivery (eventually, according to those who have done it).
Change your leasing company, if you can.
Thanks but I’m NHS and no option to change companies and they refuse to deal with taking orders on from customers who pit down their own deposits so just have to keep waiting and hoping one of those ships comes to Europe or even direct to the UK (Yesla has been making contactless deliveries through the lockdown so could be short of a few cars by now?)

Thanks but I’m NHS and no option to change companies and they refuse to deal with taking orders on from customers who pit down their own deposits so just have to keep waiting and hoping one of those ships comes to Europe or even direct to the UK (Yesla has been making contactless deliveries through the lockdown so could be short of a few cars by now?)
I have a referral on my account that ordered last November - also NHS. I feel his pain. (!)

If one ship comes to Europe, how much countries have to share this shipment? what I mean is, if there are 10 countries selling tesla's is each country getting 1/10th of the shipment, or is this completely related to customer demands?

Although Tesla don't build to order they generally only build cars they have orders for (there is a difference!) and so shipments are related to customer demand.

If one ship comes to Europe, how much countries have to share this shipment? what I mean is, if there are 10 countries selling tesla's is each country getting 1/10th of the shipment, or is this completely related to customer demands?
Nobody really knows, but Tesla do seem to build batches of left-hand drive or right-hand drive cars, so one ship might have more of one than the other.