Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW Not all the ships anchored at the entrances to the Canal are waiting to transit. Some of the ships are waiting for work and the Panama Canal is a good strategic location. Conducting crew changes in the COVID era is very difficult however Panama has a scheme with KLM, Air France and COPA to conduct routine crew changes in Panama making it very attractive to ship operators.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
RCC ANTWERP is now conducting her Panama Canal transit. In about 6 hours she will be in the Caribbean. She will arrive in Zeebrugge on 10 Nov and Southampton on 13 Nov.

TRITON ACE departed Pier 80 at exactly 4am local and wasn't at all intimidated by GRAND AURORA waiting impatiently to dock. At midday Z she was just passing under the Golden Gate bridge. She is due to arrive at the Panama Canal on the evening of 7 Nov. This agrees with my estimate of her arriving in Zeebrugge on 20 Nov and Southampton on 22 Nov.

GRAND AURORA has docked at Pier 80 and will commence loading shortly. I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge around 24 Nov.

TOSCANA No position update from her. She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov.

How comes the TRITON ACE goes through Panama Canal roughly 8 days after RCC ANTWERP but arrives 10 Days after her in Zeebrugge?
Thanks for the heads up! Love this thread and your work!

P.S: my Service Agent checked for me that my M3LR is on TRITON ACE, so somehow your Service Agents can see for sure which vessel your car is on (hopefully i did not start a phone-storm at teslas service centres with that ;) )

How comes the TRITON ACE goes through Panama Canal roughly 8 days after RCC ANTWERP but arrives 10 Days after her in Zeebrugge?

P.S: my Service Agent checked for me that my M3LR is on TRITON ACE, so somehow your Service Agents can see for sure which vessel your car is on (hopefully i did not start a phone-storm at teslas service centres with that ;) )

Nice, will try to ask my service agent, when did you order ? and what specs ?

If you look back at what I posted when RCC ANTWERP departed Pier 80
RCC ANTWERP is preparing to depart Pier 80 and has updated her AIS to show her destination as Balboa and an ETA of 01:00Z 30 Oct.
Balboa is the port at the entrance to the Panama Canal. This is quite an unambitious ETA (determined by her canal transit slot) and so it will be a leisurely voyage down the Pacific coast.

TRITON ACE will be a day quicker to Panama.

RCC ANTWERP Dep SFO 20/10 Arr ZEE 10 Nov
TRITON ACE Dep SFO 30/10 Arr ZEE 20 Nov

Looks pretty well matched to me.
However that is not always the case. You should look at the variations on the spreadsheet here. The leg to Panama depends on when the transit is booked for (not every day is available). GLOVIS CLIPPER in Q3 raced to Panama from SFO in 7 days whereas GLOVIS SIGMA took 10 days for the same journey.
The transatlantic journey is largely dependent on the Zeebrugge port booking and particularly the handling agent. The handling agent can only handle so many cars and the docks have only so much space to park them. Earlier this year we saw a ship waiting off the Isle of Wight for a couple of days because there was no space in Southampton docks to park the unloaded cars.
Zeebrugge is about to be deluged with Teslas at the end of November/early December from USA and China - I hope the handling agent is ready for it!

And then there is the weather.....

• Helpful
Reactions: ABCTG
RCC ANTWERP has now entered the large man-made freshwater Gatun Lake.
On maps it looks like any other large lake however if you look at a marine chart you realise the navigable part of the lake is very small.
Large ships are confined to a narrow channel marked with bouys.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 15.20.24.png