Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if going off topic. Equipment spaces will have that I believe so balance of risk I imagine - I don't know how compartmentalised these vessels are. I will do some research!
They aren't compartmentalised at all - they have a through deck.
Wondering why would there be a water level difference between Pacific and Atlantic?
The Pacific end of the canal is subject to some large tidal variations whereas the Caribbean end is not.

I would have thought the problem with that would be a requirement for an air tight compartment.
Not air tight. It needs to retain a certain pressure for a certain period of time. An electrical room with gas suppression can have quite a lot of minor holes before it fails.

I suspect that it’s not too difficult for ships compared to normal rooms as the volume to surface area is very large.

What will be difficult is that due to the lack of compartments, the amount of gas needed would be absolutely huge (it’s necessary to have enough gas for a compartment). They’d have to reduce the size of each deck with firewalls to reduce the gas consumption. All possible but expensive.

Not air tight. It needs to retain a certain pressure for a certain period of time. An electrical room with gas suppression can have quite a lot of minor holes before it fails.

I suspect that it’s not too difficult for ships compared to normal rooms as the volume to surface area is very large.

What will be difficult is that due to the lack of compartments, the amount of gas needed would be absolutely huge (it’s necessary to have enough gas for a compartment). They’d have to reduce the size of each deck with firewalls to reduce the gas consumption. All possible but expensive.
Also impractical for what, is in essence, a multistorey car park.