Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mr Miserable it looks like GLOVIS CRYSTAL will have a 14-16kt tailwind, turning to cross-wind for the remainder of the journey to Balboa, will this help or hinder?

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 07.23.47.jpg

In San Francisco it's all going Pete Tong. Plans are unravelling.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN's unloading at Benicia will be delayed.
The ship ahead of her CAPRICORNUS LEADER will not be ready to depart until tonight.
The planners are looking at whether to bring GLOVIS SUN in now. Like right now.
Some key personnel are still working and others have been called in to sort it out - it's still the wee small hours over there at the moment.
I suspect we may have to wait until teatime (UK time) until the definitive plan is agreed, in the meantime however, hurry up and wait.....

Last edited:
We seriously need a webcam over the port of Zeebrugge!
In the port where it unloads?
Would be awesome! But it is never, as in never going to happen!
I've been there at the port, security is very tight - which makes sense considering how much value i.e. cars are sitting dockside.
I took pictures of a Tesla-Ship that had just arrived there, over a fence - security called out over a speaker, which I didn't realise was what happened until security came up to my car to ask what I was doing. "Sorry officer, I'm just a ship nerd that tracks ships with Tesla cars onboard" - everything was okay then, and he asked me to vacate the area, which was public but really only used for port activity.

Last edited:
In the port where it unloads?
Would be awesome! But it is never, as in never going to happen!
I've been there at the port, security is very tight - which makes sense considering how much value i.e. cars are sitting dockside.
I took pictures of a Tesla-Ship that had just arrived there, over a fence - security called out over a speaker, which I didn't realise was what happened until security came up to my car to ask what I was doing. "Sorry officer, I'm just a ship nerd that tracks ships with Tesla cars onboard" - everything was okay then, and he asked me to vacate the area, which was public but really only used for port activity.

Yeah, like the Drammen Webcams would be nice :) I guess it's a somewhat smaller operation there lol.

TRITON ACE has arrived in Zeebrugge. (She went direct no pilot from Brixham or Chebourg required)
She is due to depart on Sunday night.
Her Southampton schedule is looking very similar to RCC ANTWERP’s, with a plan to load in Eastern docks on Monday morning before moving across to the Western docks in the evening to unload her Tesla cargo.

GRAND AURORA At midday her position was N38.6 W40.7 which means that she has continued to average 16.5kts over the last 24 hours. She is however countering a 25kt headwind and some high seas which may explain why she has eased herself off course 65nm to the E.
Her ETA for Zeebrugge remains 24 Nov and I estimate she should arrive in Southampton on 28 Nov

Grand Aurora Atlantic Progress.png

TOSCANA She has hit a patch of nasty weather to the north of Tunisia. The interesting thing about it is that it’s caused by the Mistral, the howling wind that blows south through France. Much like the Tehuantepecer wind that GLOVIS CRYSTAL and TRITON ACE endured this is a venturi type wind. In this case we have high pressure over the UK and low pressure over N Italy that combine to produce the very strong northerly wind that is channeled down the Rhone valley and out into the Mediterranean.
She will be battling headlong into 30 kts winds and some high seas for a few more hours which will result in some lost time.
She still has plenty of time to catch up though.
I estimate that at midday she was off the north coast of Tunisia
She is due to arrive in Zeebrugge on 27 Nov

Toscana Med.png

GLOVIS CRYSTAL At midday she was about 85 miles off the coast of San Salvador maintaining 16 kts
Yesterday she crossed the area affected by Tehuantepecer wind close to the coast so that wave height would be less. It was a good move and will have made the ride a lot smoother. Nevertheless I am sure she was glad to return to smoother waters.
The weather looks good for the next 24hours but then it will become overcast with frequent showers occasionally heavy with isolated thunderstorms all the way to Balboa.
Her ETA for Balboa is 01:00Z 23 Nov and so I estimate she will arrive in Zeebrugge on 5 Dec and Southampton a couple of days later.

The free GLOVIS CRYSTAL competition is still open. Enter HERE

Glov Crystal Pacific.png

TANNHAUSER is just entering the Gulf of Aden.
The weather continues to be fine.
She will arrive at Suez on 25 Nov and Zeebrugge on 6 Dec.

Tannhauser to Suez.png

RCC AMSTERDAM continues enroute to Balboa with an ETA of 26 Nov.
She is making 17kts and is halfway down the Baja California peninsula.
No weather concerns for the moment.
I expect her in Zeebrugge around 9 Dec and Southampton on 12 Dec

Enter the RCC AMSTERDAM competition now.

Amst Pacif.png

The situation in San Francisco with both GLOVIS SUN and GLOVIS CAPTAIN facing delays is becoming serious.

Some big decisions will be made in the next few hours.

GLOVIS SUN is empty and is ready to load but turned up late. She is presently loitering off San Francisco. If she went to load she would delay GLOVIS CAPTAIN who had a Panama Canal transit booked which she must not miss.

GLOVIS CAPTAIN needs to unload in Benicia first and then load at Pier 80 and then get to Europe via the Panama Canal. The decision was made for her yesterday to have priority to load over GLOVIS SUN. As it happens there is now a 24 hr delay to her unloading at Benicia. She is also now loitering off the coast.
This may see GLOVIS SUN now being given priority to load and GLOVIS CAPTAIN being delayed to Europe. Lots of consequences downstream to be factored in to any decision.
We shall see....

Last edited:
I clipped the following from windy.com which shows how the French Mistral wind is affecting a ship off Tunisia.
You can see the strong northerly wind blowing off the coast of France (the Mistral) and then combining with a strong NE'ly blowing from northern Italy to produce the nasty conditions that the TOSCANA is now enduring.

Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 12.40.26.png

Reactions: Mr. Impatient
Further to the San Francisco situation.
I understand that the Benicia delay is related to knock-on effects of COVID restrictions imposed by the county yesterday. Further restrictions are being implemented by the State from tomorrow night which again will have knock-on effects. Although dock workers should not be directly affected, it is clear that their work is affected by knock-on effects. I realise the political sensitivities of COVID in the USA and so I won't comment further.
I'm not sure whether Fremont will be able to maintain 24hr working under the new State restrictions but that is for another thread...

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG
In San Francisco it's all going Pete Tong. Plans are unravelling.
GLOVIS CAPTAIN's unloading at Benicia will be delayed.
The ship ahead of her CAPRICORNUS LEADER will not be ready to depart until tonight.
The planners are looking at whether to bring GLOVIS SUN in now. Like right now.
Some key personnel are still working and others have been called in to sort it out - it's still the wee small hours over there at the moment.
I suspect we may have to wait until teatime (UK time) until the definitive plan is agreed, in the meantime however, hurry up and wait.....

Pete Tong - Wikipedia

Yes. Yes, we do. So much so that I've noticed the predicted ETA of the Grand Aurora in Southampton has been pushed back a day or two!
GRAND AURORA is interesting because I was in two minds earlier today whether she will make it to Zeebrugge on schedule and I decided I would make the call tomorrow. She is scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge at 21:00 on 24 Nov. The trouble with that time is that it doesn't take much of a delay for the ETA to slip to the next day and making it sound much worse than it is.
Anyway, as of a couple of minutes ago, by my calculations she had 1906nm to go. If she maintains her current speed she won't arrive until 11am on the 25th however if she increases her speed to 19kts she can still arrive on time.
Tomorrow we will be in a better position to call it. I suspect however that she will slip to the 25th.
I am aware that she is showing on the Zeebrugge arrivals board as arriving on the 25th but I tend to treat that source with a pinch of salt.
My ETA for her Southampton arrival of 28th remains firm at the moment. That is, of course if she comes to Southampton - not guaranteed.

Last edited:
GRAND AURORA is interesting because I was in two minds earlier today whether she will make it to Zeebrugge on schedule and I decided I would make the call tomorrow. She is scheduled to arrive in Zeebrugge at 21:00 on 24 Nov. The trouble with that time is that it doesn't take much of a delay for the ETA to slip to the next day and making it sound much worse than it is.
Anyway, as of a couple of minutes ago, by my calculations she had 1906nm to go. If she maintains her current speed she won't arrive until 11am on the 25th however if she increases her speed to 19kts she can still arrive on time.
Tomorrow we will be in a better position to call it. I suspect however that she will slip to the 25th.
I am aware that she is showing on the Zeebrugge arrivals board as arriving on the 25th but I tend to treat that source with a pinch of salt.
My ETA for her Southampton arrival of 28th remains firm at the moment. That is, of course if she comes to Southampton - not guaranteed.
Makes complete sense.

I can't help but notice your last sentence... Not sure I've seen you write that before for previous ships... I've also get a vested interest as I'm pretty sure my car is on there (collecting from Chertsey on 5th Dec)... May the UK vehicles be moved on to another ship in Zeebrugge to come to the UK, or is it because all bets are off until it's confirmed from one of your many sources?