Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021.11.x Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if you've been reading any of these threads, but none of us are getting updates even after more than two months. It isn't business as usual anymore and we're just hoping there is some merge event that lets us start getting updates. I personally am at 5 and a half weeks since delivery and I have a neighbor on 2021.3.104 that is past 2 months and still on delivery firmware.
Yup, and this isn't the first time this has happened.

Let's run through a scenario...

Tesla changes a part... let's call it the muffler bearing fluid sensor... to a different part, with different specs. The code needed to support the new part is different than the code used to support the previous muffler bearing fluid sensor. This code is added to the break in firmware, the part is added to the assembly line, and these cars are delivered. But for now, only the break in firmware code branch has the code needed to support this new part.

Eventually, the fleet code branch is updated to support the newly changed hardware. After your car reaches whatever the built in trip point is to switch over to the fleet code branch, *AND* the fleet code branch has *all* of the code needed to support the hardware on your new car, you'll get the update.

With all of the parts shortages happening right now, I'm not surprised that we find ourselves in yet another scenario where the fleet code branch isn't able to keep up with all of the changes to the parts being used on the assembly line.

Legacy auto makers tend to only make changes to their vehicles once or twice per year. Tesla is constantly evolving their cars.

Even if it takes three months to get a firmware update, that's still a much faster rate of software updates than I ever saw from any of the legacy makes.

That's all true, but this isn't really a yet-again situation; it's more of a this-is-a-first situation when it comes to being on delivery firmware for so long. There are so many "it takes a few weeks" posts which is pretty frustrating to keep seeing ad nauseum when you've been waiting a few months already. You'd be hard pressed to find a car that waited more than 60 days for its first update since the first production model S. It's quite possible that the only cars to have waited that long are the ones currently waiting for an update to the their 2021.3.104 build.

New cars are delivered with a firmware that is a completely different code branch than the regular fleet code branch. My Sales Associate referred to it as the “break in firmware.”

Your car will switch over to the regular fleet firmware after some unknown trigger event happens. The trigger might be after so many miles, so much time, a combination of both, or some other event we don’t know about. It’ll happen somewhere between 10 and 20 days. You’ll know when you get a “Software Update” available message.

I got a software update notice during delivery
When I got home to WiFi and it updated, it turned out to be a game update…

didn’t take a picture of the game update process

I think I got trolled pressing advance 5 times or holding it and also swiping left/right 5x haha no further updates available

Attachments

• 8BCD2DC8-3DFB-4857-8D0E-2E6D4D230124.jpeg
    8BCD2DC8-3DFB-4857-8D0E-2E6D4D230124.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Extant
Took delivery 09/03 of an August ‘21 build MYLR white/black/5/20”/ tow. 2021.11.102 installed. Tesla told me that for my configuration, that is the latest update. No Carwash mode or Disney+
and car’s been connected to WiFi at least 11 hours a day.

Took delivery 09/03 of an August ‘21 build MYLR white/black/5/20”/ tow. 2021.11.102 installed. Tesla told me that for my configuration, that is the latest update. No Carwash mode or Disney+
and car’s been connected to WiFi at least 11 hours a day.
Took delivery of a revised MSLR on 9/3, software is still currently 2021.11.102 as of today with no option to update.

I'm not sure if you've been reading any of these threads, but none of us are getting updates even after more than two months. It isn't business as usual anymore and we're just hoping there is some merge event that lets us start getting updates. I personally am at 5 and a half weeks since delivery and I have a neighbor on 2021.3.104 that is past 2 months and still on delivery firmware.
I haven’t read all the threads here yet, but if getting the update is that important, (nothing wrong with that, I’d feel the same ), have you tried stopping into a service centre to see if they can trigger it. ?

Did someone say “Waypoints.” !!
I really want that functionality.
Can’t wait.
Welcome to Elon twitter where promises are broken and dreams are shattered on the regular lol

I’m thankful this 11.102 build at least has an 80 mph AP speed limit and lets you disable auto high beams, unlike the first few vision-only builds. At least that makes AP usable while we wait for the latest updates.

I haven’t read all the threads here yet, but if getting the update is that important, (nothing wrong with that, I’d feel the same ), have you tried stopping into a service centre to see if they can trigger it. ?
They can't, we literally don't have an eligible update. It's feasible that we could update to the latest in our branches (2021.3.106.5 and 11.102?), but the others aren't compatible with our cars.

I'm currently on 2021.11.102 and I am starting to believe that this is a stabilization version to verify that the alternative chips they are using due to the chip shortage is what's keeping this version as it is. Hopefully once it's finally validated and customer's don't storm the gates of the corporate offices they'll start merging us to the main code branch.

Welcome to Elon twitter where promises are broken and dreams are shattered on the regular lol

I’m thankful this 11.102 build at least has an 80 mph AP speed limit and lets you disable auto high beams, unlike the first few vision-only builds. At least that makes AP usable while we wait for the latest updates.
Is your auto high teams kind of well, spastic? Sometimes I feel like it just can’t decide to keep the high beams on or off.
Other times it doesn’t pick up the cars in front of me and I feel like it’s blasting other drivers with the mini-suns coming out of my headlights.

Funny how they rush to get FSD Betas out to vision cars and nothing for the regular vision customers, which is 99.99999999% of us since June 1. One update since that time in three months and useless beyond all reason.

I know, two weeks and it will be updates galore for vision only cars.

Reactions: CapinWinky
Is your auto high teams kind of well, spastic? Sometimes I feel like it just can’t decide to keep the high beams on or off.
Other times it doesn’t pick up the cars in front of me and I feel like it’s blasting other drivers with the mini-suns coming out of my headlights.

Yeah I haven’t been a fan of auto high beams either on this version or previous versions on my old 3. I turn them off as soon as they come on, which is usually on a dark freeway with plenty of oncoming cars as well as other cars close enough where I personally wouldn’t ever be using high beams. I haven’t tested this car in “ideal” conditions (aka where I’d be tempted to use high beams manually) but on older versions in my old 3 inevitably they would start toggling off/on as soon as random road signs reflected light back into the cameras.

Also unrelated note, but I keep getting errors about the right-side pillar camera being blinded after a long enough stretch of road where the right-hand side of the road is dark (no lights/illumination). Comes right back once I pass enough lit objects/road where it can see something.