Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the poster you are referring to was talking about activating the heated steering wheels that have been delivered in many new cars, but not yet activated in the firmware.
But I don't think that actually happened. (Heated steering wheels delivered but not activated yet.)

People were just hoping that the metal rollers meant heated and it doesn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Yes, I saw that. However, What I had noticed on prior drives, and what I saw yesterday while specifically looking at this, is that I had 0 regen until my min battery temp touched 1C. At that point it started ramping up quickly, at 2C I already had 21kW of regen. Yesterday I hit the full 85kW of regen at a 10C min battery temp. Maybe there are other factors that affect the regen value, not just the battery temp. For example, I went from 65kW to 19kW of max regen going down a steep but relatively short hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Thus, as you use regen, the actual max value lowers, until you accelerate again at which point it goes back up. That is while the battery's cold, I think the max regen value doesn't go down when you regen (or not as quickly) when the battery's warm. Obviously as others have said, SOC also has an influence. My drive started at 79% SOC and ended at 68% SOC, on a 2020 LR AWD.
I know lower soc allows for more regen at lower temp. Was your reading cell temp min or avg? It seems like the regen with cold battery is burst-mode, I also noticed that regen drops when going down long hills if battery is cold. This can explain why SC is not that much better at low temps.

I don't have the other temp values on my main "dials" screen in SMT so I don't have as much data to go on. The times I've looked at the detail pages, yes, they seemed within a degree or two of each other. Said another way, pack temperature has always had only low variance between areas. I just chose to look at the min thinking that it would be the most important value in the algorithms that Tesla uses for regen, power output etc. I could obviously be wrong.

I took delivery of my M3 on Saturday and it came with 2020.47.101, I know this is a big jump in versions, so I am excited to see the changes, and glad I didn't get too used to the current layout.
Actually, that isn’t a big jump... new cars are delivered with a firmware that is a completely different code branch than the regular fleet code branch. My Sales Associate referred to it as the “break in firmware.”

Your car will switch over to the regular fleet firmware after some unknown trigger event happens. The trigger might be after so many miles, so much time, a combination of both, or some other event we don’t know about. It’ll happen somewhere between 10 and 20 days. You’ll know when you get a “Software Update” available message. At that time, you'll receive the latest regular fleet firmware, which as of now is the title of this thread.

Does anyone know if this helps with the front-facing AP cameras fogging up when cold/damp? It's the most frustrating thing, as I know there's defroster wires to keep this from happening, but they don't stay on when they need to... I believe they only kick on when defrost mode is engaged. A few lines of code code kick them on when the camera senses fog on the glass.

But I don't think that actually happened. (Heated steering wheels delivered but not activated yet.)

People were just hoping that the metal rollers meant heated and it doesn't.
Ah, I see. I was a couple weeks behind on that thread, and after reading it, I get what you're saying. It looks like just because a car is delivered with the new steering wheel doesn't mean that it inherently has the innards necessary for the heating function.

Quite a few disappointed people in that thread.

Ah, I see. I was a couple weeks behind on that thread, and after reading it, I get what you're saying. It looks like just because a car is delivered with the new steering wheel doesn't mean that it inherently has the innards necessary for the heating function.

Yeah, there are two issues. There are 2 versions of the "new" steering wheel. One that has a heating element and one that doesn't. And then on top of that even if you have a steering wheel with the heating element in it the car may not have the wiring/controller to be able to turn it on.

Newbie question - do new updates get installed automatically? I just went out and touched the Software link, then it indicated it was checking for new updates. It found 2021.4.12 and is installing now. Would this have happened automatically, without my giving it a push? Assuming also, it will continue unattended and I don't need to babysit the update.

Thanks!

Since receiving the 2021.4.12 update on my Model X, I am now seeing these ... Halos? Warnings? At the 4 corners of the visualization of my car when in motion. This is on the front instrument cluster so I don't know if M3/MY folks would see anything similar.

When I stop they go away. It doesn't matter if I'm using autopilot or just driving manually, they appear immediately upon movement going forward or in reverse..

They do not look at all like the normal sensor visualizations which are much thinner white curved lines.

Does anybody know what they mean and what the colors represent?

Screen-Shot-2021-03-19-at-1.45.19-PM.png

Newbie question - do new updates get installed automatically? I just went out and touched the Software link, then it indicated it was checking for new updates. It found 2021.4.12 and is installing now. Would this have happened automatically, without my giving it a push? Assuming also, it will continue unattended and I don't need to babysit the update.

Thanks!
KDeanCville,

The download should happen automatically. Sometimes I find I need to reboot the car in order to "encourage" new downloads if I know they are out there but you shouldn't need to do anything.

But you will ALWAYS need to actually install the update. You'll see an icon on your screen that will tell you it's ready to rock and roll and you can either choose a time to install it later or to install it immediately. It will also show up in your Tesla Mobile app and you can initiate the install from there so you don't always have to be checking your car.

Best Regards,

Marc

Thanks!
Yes, it would've happened automatically. The car checks for software updates on a regular basis. You can force it to check for updates immediately with the page you found. And yes, it will continue on its own... you don't need to babysit it. Enjoy your new Tesla! :)
Since receiving the 2021.4.12 update on my Model X, I am now seeing these ... Halos? Warnings? At the 4 corners of the visualization of my car when in motion. This is on the front instrument cluster so I don't know if M3/MY folks would see anything similar.

When I stop they go away. It doesn't matter if I'm using autopilot or just driving manually, they appear immediately upon movement going forward or in reverse..

They do not look at all like the normal sensor visualizations which are much thinner white curved lines.

Does anybody know what they mean and what the colors represent?

Screen-Shot-2021-03-19-at-1.45.19-PM.png
There have been quite a few people posting with this same problem. So far, it seems that doing either a two-finger restart, or using the "Shutdown" button from the display fixes it.

The colors are supposed to represent how far away you are from the object the sensors are sensing, with orange being closer than yellow. As this is an erroneous indication, they really don't mean anything. :)

Let’s fix the USB music, my car went backwards in capability and is dangerous to try to change the music when driving. Come on Elon!
I'm interested in this - what's happened? I just started using USB music and have been disappointed in the complexity of the UI, especially the genres because my collection has multiple genres per song, separated by semi-colons, which the Tesla doesn't seem to understand.

I have no idea what it was like before. I only started using it when my Tesla-supplied USB drive kept disconnecting, and i decided to get something different. So I ended up getting a combo microSD and full-sized SD card reader with 128 GB cards (UGREEN), and I use the SD card for music. So far, sentry mode has been working without problem for about a week or so, longer than before.

Any S/X owners here? Got improved regen in cold after update? Battery chemistry is very similar between S/X and 3/Y, main difference is less cobolt in latter, but I would guess the should behave similar in low temps.
MX owner here with the update. It's not super obvious now that it's warming up here but I notice that my regen has not been limited at the beginning of my drives even though the temperature is in the mid-to-low 50's. Normally I'm missing a good hunk of regen even at those relatively warm temperatures for at least 10-15 minutes of my drive. So.. progress?

I'm not sure if I should be happy, the excuse they had for software limiting regen like that in the first place was that it would impact the longevity of the battery if they didn't. When I first got the MX it had to be pretty cold before I would see any limitation on regen and even that would clear up pretty quickly.

There have been quite a few people posting with this same problem. So far, it seems that doing either a two-finger restart, or using the "Shutdown" button from the display fixes it.

The colors are supposed to represent how far away you are from the object the sensors are sensing, with orange being closer than yellow. As this is an erroneous indication, they really don't mean anything. :)
Thanks Phlier, I did some searching before posting but apparently didn't know the right term to get any hits.

I'll reboot the car again and see if that clears it up.

I'm interested in this - what's happened? I just started using USB music and have been disappointed in the complexity of the UI, especially the genres because my collection has multiple genres per song, separated by semi-colons, which the Tesla doesn't seem to understand.

I have no idea what it was like before. I only started using it when my Tesla-supplied USB drive kept disconnecting, and i decided to get something different. So I ended up getting a combo microSD and full-sized SD card reader with 128 GB cards (UGREEN), and I use the SD card for music. So far, sentry mode has been working without problem for about a week or so, longer than before.
This has been a problem for years, no album art and with the last update no history showing for your previous albums played.

Reactions: Marty3SR+