Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what way is your SXM not working? We’re on 2021.4.15 and it hasn’t given us an iota of trouble. At least any more than usual (favorites disappearing until you click into SXM, and “specialty” channel names not updating etc.)hasn
Hasn’t worked since .13.
Hasn't worked but in what way? I didn't ask how long, I asked in what way is it not working?

Do you see the tuner on the display? Channel list empty? Error messages? Showing antenna signal? Every channel plays Styx? What?

"Hasn't worked" explains exactly nothing.
don’t be an NE arse. I’ve had xm radio on my X’s for over 5+ years.

read The entire op. Multiple have reported the problem.

select a channel and THERE IS NO SOUND.

Hasn’t worked since .13.

don’t be an NE arse. I’ve had xm radio on my X’s for over 5+ years.

read The entire op. Multiple have reported the problem.

select a channel and THERE IS NO SOUND.

I’m not being an arse, I was trying to help figure out where the problem lies… it’s like going to the doctor and when he asks you what’s wrong, you say “it’s been like this since Tuesday.” Doesn’t really answer the question, does it?

Anyway ….

So — simple question. When you tune to an XM channel, in the “cover art” that pops up, the very bottom left - it’s hard to see and faint - actually shows the satellite signal strength. I’ll grab a photo shortly but now I’m curious if it’s a case of “signal no sound” or if it’s just locked up and not seeing satellites in the sky?

The usual 2-button steering reset, as far as I know, doesn’t restart the XM tuner module. But if you’re feeling bold enough, here’s something that might. Bear with me, and it’ll take a few minutes, but if you go into the Service menu and change the wheel size, the entire car does a full reboot, instead of the “short” reboot you get pressing the steering wheel buttons. So if you’ve got a few minutes, that might be worth a try. Change your wheel size, let it reboot, and then change it back to your correct wheel size (a 2nd reboot.)

Sometimes that full vehicle restart clears things. Otherwise, you’ll likely need a service engineer to login to the car remotely and restart the XM module manually.

I can verify for certain that not all cars have an issue; I’m guessing (without seeing logs or anything of course) that your XM module is locked up, if the rest of the entertainment stack is working OK.

BLUETOOTH

GAH!

Will somebody please fix Bluetooth. 2021.4.15 is making it impossible for my phone to stay connected.

see also: this reddit thread

Model X with MCU2 upgrade fyi

Meanwhile, back to this user interface issue with the TMC 'like' feature:

Yup, but on my phone, that pops up the contextual menu for text, eg, cut, copy, paste, etc and overlays those options over the other post rating choices.

It does overlay the contextual pop up in an extremely inconvenient place, but if you leave that pop up alone briefly and touch elsewhere on the page to swipe a bit and scroll the page up or down a tiny amount, you can properly expose the other like / love / informative / etc options HTH

BLUETOOTH

GAH!

Will somebody please fix Bluetooth. 2021.4.15 is making it impossible for my phone to stay connected.

see also: this reddit thread

Model X with MCU2 upgrade fyi

Meanwhile, back to this user interface issue with the TMC 'like' feature:

It does overlay the contextual pop up in an extremely inconvenient place, but if you leave that pop up alone briefly and touch elsewhere on the page to swipe a bit and scroll the page up or down a tiny amount, you can properly expose the other like / love / informative / etc options HTH
Yeah, my old fingers are getting better at it, but it’s still a hassle compared to the old forum version. Honestly not a fan of the forum software “upgrade.”

Reactions: Harvey Danger
They stopped the updates because you guys just complain that the small ones don’t change enough and the large ones changes too much.

How about no updates!
I’d guess they are focused on the v11 update.
There was a big UI change released that many of us strongly dislike subjectively and also have actual usability feedback on and Tesla has done absolutely nothing in 5 months to address any of those issues (on the 3/Y). This is both frustrating and totally unacceptable. Pardon me for not wanting my car downgraded OTA (which is also why I have not accepted an update in 5 months).

The UI has changed but I don't think any features have been removed. A "downgrade" would be if features are removed. Subjectively, some people do not like where the UI is evolving, that's a different thing. Before someone says it: yes, there might be bugs introduced, as with any software update. Hopefully they fix those bugs soon.

I still enjoy the updates. After reading a ton in this forum, I’d assume I’m in the minority lol

Maybe it’s because I’m a nerd.

Maybe it’s because I also write code and don’t get really upset when a bug shows up. I just help out and send a bug report.

I honestly think most people couldn’t/can’t handle owning a Tesla. The bleeding edge updates and improvements make this a highly dynamic vehicle and most of the complaints I see are “hey, you changed this” complaints.

I still enjoy the updates. After reading a ton in this forum, I’d assume I’m in the minority lol

Maybe it’s because I also write code and don’t get really upset when a bug shows up. I just help out and send a bug report.

I honestly think most people couldn’t/can’t handle owning a Tesla. The bleeding edge updates and improvements make this a highly dynamic vehicle and most of the complaints I see are “hey, you changed this” complaints.
I agree, I doubt I will own another one (and I am a very tech-comfortable person). Still the best car I have even driven, but I don't like the design direction Tesla is headed (and trying to take my own car in). My various friends who are looking at going EV in the next few years are not really interested in getting Tesla's any longer even though it is in their price range. Oddly enough I think Tesla is becoming more and more niche but they have just not realized it because it has not hit their sales yet (still production constrained).

Reactions: KentheJ
Some of the most vocal complaints on TMC are from people that don't own a Tesla and have never driven one. They're on here only to sow FUD.

Things are getting fixed and usability is better, even if it's not specified in a bug report.

They stopped the updates because you guys just complain that the small ones don’t change enough and the large ones changes too much.

How about no updates!
I’d guess they are focused on the v11 update.

• Disagree
Reactions: KentheJ
My crystal ball (which is notoriously cloudy) says that eventually Elon and company will learn that there is no "one size fits all" UI solution, and will give us the ability to customize what is displayed, and where it's displayed, or even if we want it displayed at all (within reason). And of course, the various govt's of the world will definitely have a say on what information must always be displayed, and quite probably where it's displayed.

Even Microsoft and Apple now give their users the ability to customize their UI's to a certain degree, as long as it stays within the over all paradigm of the UI.

While I think that overall everyone more universally liked the previous UI, there are still quite a few people that like the new UI better. If Tesla's goal is to attract and keep as many customers as they can, they'll eventually learn that they need to give users some leeway with how the UI is organized.

I could be completely wrong, of course... but I'm used to being wrong; I've been married for 27 years. But I'm gonna give Elon some credit here. The guys is smart enough to build a profitable startup car company (which hasn't been done in a very, very long time), and a profitable private rocket company. He's also the driving force behind the electric car revolution, and the software behind the (arguably) horrible UI is also first-time-ever stuff. If he's smart enough to pull off all of this, I think we can probably count on him giving us enough UI options to keep most of us happy. That is, as long as we're patient enough to let the bread bake.

Even if he doesn't, the UI would have to get to command line levels of horrible before it would make me walk away from Tesla, as I just love the car overall so much that I don't really care if the UI isn't tuned to my personal taste (and right now, it really isn't).

Last edited:
There was a big UI change released that many of us strongly dislike subjectively and also have actual usability feedback on and Tesla has done absolutely nothing in 5 months to address any of those issues (on the 3/Y). This is both frustrating and totally unacceptable. Pardon me for not wanting my car downgraded OTA (which is also why I have not accepted an update in 5 months).
While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, statements like this are why, aside from Tesla, so many competitors simply don't offer updates and in some cases probably never will. It's basically "why we can't have nice things". Paralysis through a fear of backlash and legal liability.

I agree the space utilization on the Dec update is not the greatest, but I'm sure it will be addressed by later updates. I'm willing to accept the risk of occasional regressions to non-critical systems for the ability to continually have the car evolve and improve through updates. Especially given the alternative, where you're generally stuck with whatever quirks and limitations ship with the car for as long as you have it.

While it's not clear how it will look on the M3/MY... v11 does look like it has a major emphasis on addressing some of the annoyances with the current UI.

Last edited: