Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 M3P - Is it totalled?

Is it totalled?

• Yes

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the unfortunate experience of learning what an airbag feels like when someone ran a red and cut in front of me last week.

Waiting for the repairer to provide a quote to my insurance, but wondering if people here think this is totalled?

Visually to the untrained eye the two front quarter panels, headlights, and front end are all busted with driver and passenger airbag going off, but from the door back there was no hit.

If not totalled, what’s the repair bill likely to be?

IMG_5916.jpeg

I am far from an expert, but it begins to look like this will have damage to the structural crumple areas of the car (see here:
).

If they have been affected, I would expect the vehicle to be a write off.

On the plus side, this is all on the other driver if they ran a red - just call your insurance company, give them the details and police report etc, and await delivery of your new M3P.

Reactions: blurrybird
Guys there is no frame. This isnt a frame + body vehicle as in a older Patrol or Landcruiser.

The model 3 is monocoque construction chassis using various grades of steel including very high strength steel in certain areas, plus various aluminium alloys

Screenshot 2023-07-16 133206.jpg

The damage isnt actually toooooo bad. Youd need to have a really good gawk at the A pillar, B pillar, the roof area.

The front drive unit (in LR and P) and in all models the steering linkages and the suspension links are supposed to do that in a crash. This is why your Tesla is very very safe.

Screenshot 2023-07-16 133846.jpg

Its certainly possible to repair it and entirely possible to exceed "how good" it was from the factory. I have no idea of parts costs. I recently subscriped to Tesla's parts catalogue and their service manuals so its kinda new to me. If the insurers write it off and they sell, the salvage would be a good project to start with

Heres an example video of a monocoque chassis vehicle being smashed in the front. How its repaired. Things will be different on different vehicles but overall its similar between monocoques. Using genuine parts and having guru human #1 do the welding and guru finish human #2 like all bonder super neat even on B surfaces and getting the A surfaces mirror flat on a high quality job : literally it can be better than the factory originally.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Heres an example video of a monocoque chassis vehicle being smashed in the front. How its repaired. Things will be different on different vehicles but overall its similar between monocoques. Using genuine parts and having guru human #1 do the welding and guru finish human #2 like all bonder super neat even on B surfaces and getting the A surfaces mirror flat on a high quality job : literally it can be better than the factory originally.

The issue is more around battery pack damage then body repair

Yes I see good point. If the crash hasnt gotten the A pillar section plastically deformed then the combined ultra high strength main core of the monocoque is going to be ok. Which is why its relevant to suss the roof for cimples the A pillar the B pillar - that assembly. Assuming blurrybird didnt also hit something from underneath like he went over the other car which doesnt look like it - seems kinda head on. Assuming from the A pillar back its OK the structural battery pack will be fine too.

The strongest part of our vehicles is that inner A B roof floor section of the cabin its very strong

Its certainly possible to repair it and entirely possible to exceed "how good" it was from the factory. I have no idea of parts costs.
Quite apart from the parts cost there's the time it would take - all the while the liable party having to stump up for a hire car. It doesn't take long to hit the point at which writing it off makes economic sense for the one paying the bills.

Reactions: OzTzlaBloke