Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

While I understand some might like it better with low regen, being able to control with your right foot would be the way to go.

I never wanted to use low regen in the snow...

Reactions: quietblade
While I understand some might like it better with low regen, being able to control with your right foot would be the way to go.

I never wanted to use low regen in the snow...
The problem I have Is majority of driving I do is winding back roads. Few times early on I was caught off guard with the strong regen kicking it on snow covered roads goin through a sweeping corner. Never to a point I was in danger of losing control, but the car did get squirrelly enough for me to finally find a way to drastically reduce the regen effect. We also experiance alot of black ice in the area. Worst thing to do is hit brakes on it, which Essientally is what regen is doing. I'm much more confident with the winter capabilities of the car now that I have full control in all conditions.

Why not have the option so you can do it the way you want and others can do it the way they want?
Indeed. But my guess is the EPA forced Tesla to drop it, in order to keep their current EPA range, since less regen means the car is less efficient. Having said that, I got used to the one pedal driving in one day, and by that I mean being ultra smooth with the throttle. I'm a motorcyclist, so used to strong engine braking, which is very similar to full regen, so adapted very quickly to full regen. My wife still drives the car like a bronco by comparison, but she's getting the hang of it little by little. I have to say I was surprised I liked the Tesla that much, when my car is an old-school 3-pedal V8 (2019 Bullitt); the contrast between the 2 couldn't be greater. Ha ha.

Indeed. But my guess is the EPA forced Tesla to drop it, in order to keep their current EPA range, since less regen means the car is less efficient. Having said that, I got used to the one pedal driving in one day, and by that I mean being ultra smooth with the throttle. I'm a motorcyclist, so used to strong engine braking, which is very similar to full regen, so adapted very quickly to full regen. My wife still drives the car like a bronco by comparison, but she's getting the hang of it little by little. I have to say I was surprised I liked the Tesla that much, when my car is an old-school 3-pedal V8 (2019 Bullitt); the contrast between the 2 couldn't be greater. Ha ha.

Would be weird if the EPA made them drop it. Lots of ICE cars have stop start or cylinder deactivation thats easily overridable.

no no... I was simply curious about that...
I thought all 2021 had some redesigned parts, but ZERO. On my 2021 car parked next to a 2020, the only difference outside was the black trim. Newer cars will have the new headlights (I like the old ones better, so I was happy with not having the new ones), but that's it. So the only (but it's a biggie) worthwhile difference is the heat pump. Console cover looks the same, but there were some minor changes that I couldn't tell.

But have some questions that I can't figure out. How do you lock this thing? And how do you make it 'honk' when you walk away? We're having to lock the damn car with the app, and it's annoying. And yes, with phone inside a Walmart, car was still open. Why can't I see percentage of battery charge, or percentage charging limit? It's just a stupid line I have to guess what it is. And only miles in the charging menu, rather than % charge. Is there a way to change that? And finally, how do you check the TPMS tire pressures? Can't find it anywhere (service menu, etc). Thanks gang.

Have you turned on walk-away door lock and confirmation sound (page 16 of the manual)?

upload_2021-1-6_0-15-14-png.624861

Yeah it would just be nice to lower it and taylor the car to your preferences. Not only snow driving but what if I let someone who is not used to EV drive the car. I love the 1 pedal driving, but not everyone does.

For people not accustomed to regen breaking, you could switch the behaviour to 'role' or 'ceeep' instead of 'stop'; which limits the amount of regen to a full stop and requires regular brakes to be used as if you were driving a ICE with Automatic transmission.

Come to think of it; doesn't that reduce the effect of regen anyways, so it might also be usable in snow conditions?

• Informative
Reactions: Murattukaalai
Usually only for one drive and then it automatically turns on again the next time you start the car (unless you use a hack).
Yup, they could have done that for Regen too!?

Btw happy to report I picked up my M3P today and no glaring quality issues. Panels are all lined up straight, head liner not falling apart, headlights not popping out. Only one minor issue is the drivers door does need some force to close, not exactly slam but if I am softly closing it does not. Maybe not an issue? Usually dont even think about that. Oh and the center screen needed a reboot it. Happy customer!

Yup, they could have done that for Regen too!?
Perhaps, but it's all speculation right now it might be related to EPA. It could also be that they want to force people to get used to using Regen and overall it might improve how efficient people are driving and raise the amount of range they are getting (thus less complaints about how the car fails to match EPA). I imagine previously most people coming from ICE used the low setting. I'm coming from ICE also and just got a 2021 SR+ and it does take some getting used to (especially driving both cars back to back on the same day).

Btw happy to report I picked up my M3P today and no glaring quality issues. Panels are all lined up straight, head liner not falling apart, headlights not popping out. Only one minor issue is the drivers door does need some force to close, not exactly slam but if I am softly closing it does not. Maybe not an issue? Usually dont even think about that. Oh and the center screen needed a reboot it. Happy customer!
Is it roughly the same force required on both front doors (and rear doors) or just one door being very different? If it is just one door, you might want to maybe schedule a service appointment (might be mobile service) in the app to have it looked at and perhaps the door adjusted (if delivery center not busy sometimes they can do it for you at delivery). That's what the reps at the store had me do for some minor scratches I noticed at delivery.

I did note for the doors in my car also if you just very lightly close them (almost no force at all), they don't latch fully and the window doesn't retract. It doesn't have the soft close function some of the higher end cars have (where it electronically pulls door shut). But I figured out the exact force needed the next time and it hasn't been an issue since. However, my old Camry was similar (if you close the door very lightly it can get to a position where it's slightly latched but not fully), so it didn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

Last edited:
My BMW has start-stop, and the setting is persistent. If I turn it off, it stays off until I turn it back on.

So I don't think "turns itself back on" is actually a requirement for counting it toward your milage.
It is a requirement. If you are willing to sacrifice your rating however, you can offer a permanent deactivation:
"If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off."
Automakers Increasingly Offer Ways to Deactivate Stop/Start Systems

It's a similar rating issue why Nissan removed the 80% charge limit mode from the Leaf (which immediately raised its EPA rating). Basically if you have two permanent modes, the EPA wants to rate the average between them.

My BMW has start-stop, and the setting is persistent. If I turn it off, it stays off until I turn it back on.

So I don't think "turns itself back on" is actually a requirement for counting it toward your milage.
I think after a certain model year it became a requirement. My 2018 BMW does reset back to Stop Start everytime. 2014 Porsche, persistent.

Perhaps, but it's all speculation right now it might be related to EPA. It could also be that they want to force people to get used to using Regen and overall it might improve how efficient people are driving and raise the amount of range they are getting (thus less complaints about how the car fails to match EPA). I imagine previously most people coming from ICE used the low setting. I'm coming from ICE also and just got a 2021 SR+ and it does take some getting used to (especially driving both cars back to back on the same day).

Is it roughly the same force required on both front doors (and rear doors) or just one door being different? If it is just one door, you might want to maybe schedule a service appointment (might be mobile service) in the app to have it looked at and perhaps the door adjusted (if delivery center not busy sometimes they can do it for you at delivery), given it's a factory issue (that's what the reps at the store had me do for some minor scratches I noticed at delivery).

I did note for the doors in my car also if you just very lightly close them (almost no force at all), they don't latch fully and the window doesn't retract. It doesn't have the soft close function some of the higher end cars have (where it electronically pulls door shut). But I figured out the exact force needed the next time and it hasn't been an issue since. However, my old Camry was similar (if you close the door very lightly it can get to a position where it's slightly latched but not fully), so it didn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

I hope they add it back. My car does have track mode and I guess I can use that. I did feel a little weird after a long drive and letting the gas off too hard.

Regarding the doors, not really sure. I’ve never thought about this before Tesla...I did fail to close the door properly today a couple times so maybe it does take more force than usual.