Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else wondering if this new Feb-March delivery estimate for new orders from Sept-October change for new MSLR orders might be related to Tesla starting up MX production? They haven’t said anything to indicate that is the case and new MX orders have the same Feb-March delivery estimates, but they must have some 2020 and first half of 2021 MX orders to fill. Perhaps those will be Q3/Q4 production and MS will stop/slow at some point later this year?
If I was a betting man, I’d feel confident that X will be delayed as well beyond what the site shows today. Just a feeling 🤷‍♂️

I did an online order for my S never talked with a SA, no e-mails or txt. I am fine with my and I hope September EDD as my BMW lease will be up on the 24th can extend out 2 more months so if need be. So the 1 st question do you just call the Local mall Tesla store for a SA? or the ??
Thanks
Call your delivery center

Great news. My SA too is excellent and helpful. They are at the mercy of what they are told which is not much
So how is that helpful? Sounds like they are “nice” but what good is that in terms of finding out when your car will be delivered?

This “no pressure” sales model is anything but. I would be happy to walk on to a car lot, see the available inventory, and say “I’ll take that one”.

Swapalease (swapalease.com) could be a good way to go. You can take over someone’s lease for all different timeframes (6 months +.) I’ve done it 3 times since 2006. About 3 years ago, I took over a MB SUV lease with 13 months left. The individual was way over mileage so he paid me the excess mileage (X .25 cents per mile) and I simply resumed the monthly payments. The process is straightforward and takes a few week but the banks require strong credit. When the lease is up, you have the option to buy it or give it back. Now is good because leases with 6-18 months left originated prior to the automobile delays, price increases, etc. I haven’t looked in a while but there were several Tesla’s when I looked in March.
I have one thing to say about swapalease. I had a friend that did that and there was a delay of a few weeks while GM processed the transfer. When she got the car it had been involved in an accident and the prior leasee had let insurance lapse. What she found out was that she was responsible for the damage (or could have sued the other person but either way it was a mess.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Sounds like my SA, “Roy” at KoP Mall? 😀

No, it was Elliot from the Devon delivery center. Glad to hear they have another good SA to deal with for our area!

So how is that helpful? Sounds like they are “nice” but what good is that in terms of finding out when your car will be delivered?

This “no pressure” sales model is anything but. I would be happy to walk on to a car lot, see the available inventory, and say “I’ll take that one”.

You're either going to have to be understanding of the current manufacturing climate or pull the plug and buy from someone else. Good luck finding what you want on a lot though. Even before this mess, it was tough to find a car on the lot with the options and colors you wanted. I got my Model 3 when they were ramping production back when it was released in 2018. No chip shortage or manufacturing woes and still took awhile for people to get their cars. Delivery day was crazy, cars and people everywhere like a mad house. Meanwhile Nissan and Toyota had SAs folding their arms across the street while they see potential customers buy from someone else. As a I stated a few pages back, Tesla is still in it's infancy stage and still have a lot of growing pains to work through. Right now, they're just focused on cleaning house with sales.

Can anyone even refresh their Model S order page right now? From account, I can load and see the Y order we have, but the S one doesn't do anything, just reloads the account page again.

I refreshed my page, took awhile but I got in with my EDD still intact

Reactions: GrnSqrl
I don't understand how people can think that Tesla's only problem is poor communication. Am I supposed to believe that in January, Tesla thought the car would be delivered in February/March, but then realized they didn't have X part? They proceeded to think the car would be delivered in July, but then realized they didn't have Y part? They proceeded to think the car would be delivered in August, but then realized they didn't have Z part? It is absurd. I believe what happened is that they initially lied about when cars would be delivered, creating a several-months-long backlog of orders that they can't fulfill. Now, they're producing cars in configuration batches -- e.g., only 21s and black interiors first -- in an effort to reduce the backlog as quickly as possible, at the expense of people who bought different configurations earlier. There is no part shortage.

I don't understand how people can think that Tesla's only problem is poor communication. Am I supposed to believe that in January, Tesla thought the car would be delivered in February/March, but then realized they didn't have X part? They proceeded to think the car would be delivered in July, but then realized they didn't have Y part? They proceeded to think the car would be delivered in August, but then realized they didn't have Z part? It is absurd. I believe what happened is that they initially lied about when cars would be delivered, creating a several-months-long backlog of orders that they can't fulfill. Now, they're producing cars in configuration batches -- e.g., only 21s and black interiors first -- in an effort to reduce the backlog as quickly as possible, at the expense of people who bought different configurations earlier. There is no part shortage.
My original order in January came with an estimate of March. Obviously nowhere near true, but I could at least start to believe that they ran into unexpected delivery/supply issues.

My second order was in May for a Plaid - and at that time had an EDD of June. Still have no EDD as of now. Don’t tell me Tesla truly had no idea in May that June delivery dates weren’t happening. This one pisses me off more than my original order.

I have one thing to say about swapalease. I had a friend that did that and there was a delay of a few weeks while GM processed the transfer. When she got the car it had been involved in an accident and the prior leasee had let insurance lapse. What she found out was that she was responsible for the damage (or could have sued the other person but either way it was a mess.
That's unfortunate and sorry to hear that. In your friend's case, the prior person definitely wasn't transparent but your friend needed to do her homework on the car. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world and things like that can happen. There are dbs everywhere who only care about themselves.
When taking over a lease, it's important to have the car thoroughly checked out before taking the car. The person taking over the lease is 100% responsible once the lease transfer is complete. Since most leases are 36-48 months, the leases should still be under factory warranty which helps. Still need to look over the car thoroughly or pay someone else to do it if the car is not local. Even tires, brakes, etc. should be in good shape when taking over someone's lease.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate and sorry to hear that. In your friend's case, the prior person definitely wasn't transparent but your friend needed to do her homework on the car. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world and things like that can happen. There are dbs everywhere who only care about themselves.
When taking over a lease, it's important to have the car thoroughly checked out before taking the car. The person taking over the lease is 100% responsible once the lease transfer is complete. Since most leases are 36-48 months, the leases should still be under factory warranty which helps. Still need to look over the car thoroughly or pay someone else to do it if the car is not local. Even tires, brakes, etc. should be in good shape when taking over someone's lease.
The problem is that happened (car was checked out), but there is a period where the paperwork is being processed where damage post-inspection can occur. The only way to prevent that is to get the person transferring the lease to give possession of the car to the new lessee once the paperwork is signed (but before the leasing company has approved the transfer). Either way someone is going to be responsible for damage if the deal goes tits up.

Just for awareness my SA contacted me out of the blue and said that they have been authorized to remove FSD without impacting the price of LR for those who got in before the $5000 price increase. I had him remove it and sure enough base price was not effected.
Thx for your post; I believe a few here will be pleasantly surprised. I will continue with FSD on my order, but I suspect some here will cx.

Just spoke to SA. Stated that my dec 2020 order is in build mode and that I should expect September delivery. I ordered mid dec LR MSM 19 FSO. NY. My EDD currently states July.
he did say that some orders do not even say they are in build mode which most likely means late this year. And for new orders. Next year.

The problem is that happened (car was checked out), but there is a period where the paperwork is being processed where damage post-inspection can occur. The only way to prevent that is to get the person transferring the lease to give possession of the car to the new lessee once the paperwork is signed (but before the leasing company has approved the transfer). Either way someone is going to be responsible for damage if the deal goes tits up.
Yes there is a 2-3 week period for the paperwork to be processed. In my most recent example, the car was thoroughly inspected after I was approved which went well. The mileage was then documented, the documents were signed, and placed in a fedex envelope for me to drop off. At that point, the couple agreed to no longer drive the car and that's how it should be. However, if the car will be driven while waiting for the transfer to complete, then a 2nd inspection would need to be done when the vehicle is picked up.
Is Swapalease a little more annoying compared to walking into a car dealership and driving off with a car? Yes but with prices currently off the charts, long delays, etc., IMO it's worth dealing with the few annoyances if a good deal can be had on a short (18 months or less) lease transfer. But ONLY if the lease terms are attractive; the car will be under warranty the remainder of the lease; the car will be thoroughly checked out prior to signing; and preferably located within driving distance (maybe 250 miles) from your home. If you live in a tax state, taxes will be due on the total dollar amount of the remaining monthly payments. Cheers