Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's one observation that makes me think aero isn't as big of a factor as weight: if you look at the Model 3 order page, the 18'' aero wheels look a whole lot different than the 19'' sport wheels, but range does not change when switching between the two. Weight is similar, with the aero 23lbs and the sport 25lbs. Also the moment of inertia difference going from 18 to 19 is smaller than going from 19 to 21 as moment is proportional to radius squared.

All that to say... the Model 3 scenario shows the same range between two tire choices where the "only" difference is the shape of the wheel. Hence why I don't think range diffs between our Model S tire choices is driven by the aerodynamic-ness of the wheel morphology.
I'm NOT a smart man (FACT); I'll keep it simple. My opinion for me - S 19s - FUGLY!! S 21s - Arachnids & Michelin's ( I LIKE). ALL things considered, I am happy with my decision (for me); no regrets. Happy Hour Time now (somewhere). Later...

Ohhh! Got it, that makes sense, didn't think about the tire sidewall differences. That said, we still have the weight difference that can explain the range diff. Complete guess, but I'd bet the weight difference is the bigger factor driving lower efficiency than any aero diffs due to wheel geometry.
I'm inclined to agree with this as I've seen nothing to suggest that the drag coefficient of the car is dependent on wheels.

These are the ones I ordered in matte black.

How did you establish that the offsets are correct and lug patterns are correct or did you order them custom?

Last edited:
How did you establish that the offsets are correct and lug patterns are correct or did you order them custom?
Well that is where things got interesting. I ordered these thinking the car was coming in March and that these would fit according to the pre-refresh specs.

It turns out the lug pattern is the same and from what I understand if I order tires (245/45ZR19) that fit these rims in a square pattern they should fit.

Reactions: An Introvert
I know it's off topic, but looks like a new software update has unlocked ANC (active noise canceling) on the new S; hoping someone can verify & comment on the quality.

Yes!!! This is the single biggest pro for me of upgrading from the 3 so the S outside of material quality. I am very excited to hear just how big of a difference this makes.

In an EV, generally the largest sources of noise are road and wind. Both of these are pretty linear and predictable so it should be easy to cancel out. I had a pair of Bose QC35 headphones and they did wonders in the car and on planes countering that sort of thing. If it's half that good I'll be a happy camper.

Their 20" wheels are currently $5,700.00 so it's going to be some trick to produce 19's for, what, less than half that? I had this same conversation with Martian Wheels who are trying to have something out by the end of the year and I gently reminded them that the end of the year will be too late for people who need to buy a second set of wheels/tires for winter driving. The Michelin summer tires are only formulated for temperatures down to 45 degrees F.
Their 20" set-up, with wheels and tires starts at $3700 for the pre-refresh, though is much higher for the refresh. Those are pretty fancy rims though.

I am assuming that there are significant issues with developing thinner rims in order to make them durable enough to handle the same stresses and a thicker 19" rim. Looking at their site, their current price point for a complete set of 19's, with tires, is about $3,100 to $3,300. Again, pre-refresh. Since the refresh has staggered wheels, I might expect a bit higher of a price, but perhaps not too much of a difference from what they have now

These are the ones I ordered in matte black.

I ordered the same ones..... I purchased them a long time ago and it turns out obviously they will not be fitting. Make sure you confirm the ones you ordered with their engineer or else you are screwed. Luckily for me I ordered so early they will take them back.

No doubt some Plaid 19” orders switched to 21s, but I think the Plaid buyer would generally be more 21” than LR buyers. One, because they clearly aren’t trying to maximize range, also they are more performance oriented, so the 21” take would naturally be higher.

The main point is Plaids probably won’t be a major delay in rolling out LR 19” wheel orders. I would think most pre-refresh orders would be delivered by first week of September, unless there are other supply constraints (white interiors, etc).
Performance on the Plaid with 19s is the same as on the 21s. Not sure about cornering, but would think cornering would be better w/21s. I prefer a quieter cabin, so I went with the 19s.

Reactions: rvpCO
Hi, New member here from Vancouver BC. I had a EDD of September which went blank over the weekend. I spoke to my SA and he informed me that I should now expect Feb / March and that Tesla will shortly be releasing an announcement outlining the issues and delays. After what I have read here I wont hold my breath for that. I'm hoping that this is another speculation from my SA manager.

For info, MS LR white 21" Black interior FSD. RN114957296. Ordered late May.
I guess if this is also true, why is every account not just updated to February or March? Hate to be that one that says "do trust your SA", because I genuinely trust mine and he has always been honest (and accurate) with information. But some dates SAs have been throwing around are insane.

Reactions: Vinny860
Performance on the Plaid with 19s is the same as on the 21s. Not sure about cornering, but would think cornering would be better w/21s. I prefer a quieter cabin, so I went with the 19s.
Shorter sidewalls will improve lateral acceleration (cornering ability) and the wheels definitely improve the “peacock factor” over the 19” wheels, which is a consideration for the halo version of MS. Whether that falls under performance is up to the observer.

Reactions: jebinc
Sigh -- still blank since the brief July notice I got about a month ago.

This weekend our backup car finally died (we were hoping the Tesla would come before it did so we could spend time finding a new "used" backup one), so we had to turn it in and order a new one. Have a rental until the car arrives sometime in the next two weeks.

Even USED cars are delayed for delivery right now.

The 19" are more aero and provide better range, the 21" are designed more for performance. They are wider which provides a wider contact patch and more air flow over the brakes for cooling. Not nearly enough cooling, but much more than the 19" with caps.

Rims are also heavier than tires, so both wheels have the same diameter with tire, but the 19" are lighter as there is less rim and more tire in the diameter.

There are a lot of trade-offs in wheels and tires. The 19" are more efficient, the 21" are more sporty. Neither is better or worse, just optimized a bit differently.

Hi, New member here from Vancouver BC. I had a EDD of September which went blank over the weekend. I spoke to my SA and he informed me that I should now expect Feb / March and that Tesla will shortly be releasing an announcement outlining the issues and delays. After what I have read here I wont hold my breath for that. I'm hoping that this is another speculation from my SA manager.

For info, MS LR white 21" Black interior FSD. RN114957296. Ordered late May.
Hi Druss, welcome to the forum. I'll compress about 1,000 posts here to let you know that your SA like everyone else's has no idea HOWEVER I think his/her/them may be closer to the truth as there are folks here ordered in late 2020 and are still waiting. There has not been one EDD or VIN issued to a Canadian and only in the last couple of weeks are we seeing more LR's going and even some LR/Plaid with 19s. Being that you ordered in late May and new order lead times a couple weeks ago went to Feb/March (and FOR SURE there are issues and delays so everyone here is waiting for an update from Tesla with baited breath) what you heard may be accurate. HOPE prevails right now on the forum and that the first wave cars get out in the EOQ push by end of September. I'll compress another 1,000 posts here to let you know (just ask LEO) that there is also a major randomness to whom gets their cars when and a bunch that were ordered later went sooner than others so many theories abound. A bunch of Canuck's have a WhatsApp chat going to keep close tabs on who finally gets an EDD (some of us have had a month appear but then disappeared and some still showing a month) but aside from that....for sure....everything will be later than sooner. Welcome to the forum !

Reactions: Air Wind and cwanja