Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S LR Delivery Tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can use some input here with this situation.

I ordered 3/21/21 (LR, While/Black interior, no FSD, 19") and was getting narrower and and narrower dates as late as 9/26-9/30 late last week. I was recently bumped to a delivery date 10/18-11/8 over this past weekend. I was actually kind of happy since I would have a 2022 vehicle. To my surprise I just received an email just a few moments ago and they gave me a VIN. I called and asked if I could reject the VIN and wait for a 2022. The rep said I can do that without affecting the pricing but she could not tell me if it would place me at the back of the line or just a few weeks out. Has anyone rejected their VIN? If so, how long did you have to wait for your car after doing this?

• Informative
Reactions: MEL-22
Can use some input here with this situation.

I ordered 3/21/21 (LR, While/Black interior, no FSD, 19") and was getting narrower and and narrower dates as late as 9/26-9/30 late last week. I was recently bumped to a delivery date 10/18-11/8 over this past weekend. I was actually kind of happy since I would have a 2022 vehicle. To my surprise I just received an email just a few moments ago and they gave me a VIN. I called and asked if I could reject the VIN and wait for a 2022. The rep said I can do that without affecting the pricing but she could not tell me if it would place me at the back of the line or just a few weeks out. Has anyone rejected their VIN? If so, how long did you have to wait for your car after doing this?
I would just take delivery of the vehicle. I wouldn’t risk not getting a car this year.

Has anyone seen their date (EDD)disappear, and not reappear?
Mine has been gone basically since the end of August now, after the shuffling with the mid August apology email.

Also, it seems like it should be mandatory each time posting in this thread to include your order info. Mine is MSLR, MSM, black, 19”, no FSD. Order date was 6/24 RN1152
me too May order, blank think the same email.

I would just take delivery of the vehicle. I wouldn’t risk not getting a car this year.
Update: After discussion with my wife, we decided to reject the 2021 VIN I was just assigned a few hours ago. Back in 2015 I took a delivery of a model S the last day of November and just one month later I had a car that appeared to be one year old on paper. This had a significant effect on the value of the car when I sold it earlier this year and buyers would have rather had a 2016 instead of 2015 despite the explanation. The rep at Tesla was completely understanding. She detached the VIN from my account and put the account "on hold" until 10/1/2021 that way I don't get re-assigned another 2021 VIN. I realize this may put me a number of months out but I'm not in a huge rush since we have other vehicles and my last experience did weigh-in on my afterwards. I will let you all know how it goes since this is kind of a unique situation.

Update: After discussion with my wife, we decided to reject the 2021 VIN I was just assigned a few hours ago. Back in 2015 I took a delivery of a model S the last day of November and just one month later I had a car that appeared to be one year old on paper. This had a significant effect on the value of the car when I sold it earlier this year and buyers would have rather had a 2016 instead of 2015 despite the explanation. The rep at Tesla was completely understanding. She detached the VIN from my account and put the account "on hold" until 10/1/2021 that way I don't get re-assigned another 2021 VIN. I realize this may put me a number of months out but I'm not in a huge rush since we have other vehicles and my last experience did weigh-in on my afterwards. I will let you all know how it goes since this is kind of a unique situation.
I did the same thing, except I am on hold till October 31.

What is your configuration? Thanks!

We have twin cars.

On the CA HOV stickers, it's not the model year date that matters -- it's when you apply (and might even be when you get the sticker but that's not clear). Just wait until January 1 to apply and you'll get next year's sticker. I've done exactly that 3 times now.

Be prepared for a processing delay -- it takes the DMV about 90 days to turn it around.

OTOH, stickers are blue this year and they would look really cool on the blue car... And, currently, next year's decals expire Sept. 30, 2025 -- only nine months after Blue decal expires. Total time with the decal might be the same if you simply applied now.
I can't imagine sticking crap on my car to drive in the HOV lane. reminds me of prius' back in the day running around with weird white stickers... nope. GA we just get a license plate for alt energy vehicles. Still glad every day that I got the heck out of that crazy state.

Any anyone order in august? Mine is August 18, and my EDD is Decmber10-30!

RN1154
are you excited about that EDD or disappointed? cuz seems good to me Aug order coming in 4 months. If my date sticks it'll be almost 9 months of me waiting. others have waited even longer. you ordered when you knew the dates said Feb-March, I ordered it said 10-14 weeks (would have been July) Looks like your EDD is better than what was suggested when you ordered. :)