Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Year Refresh: Owners' Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure where to start but I hope tesla makes this right, if not than hoping someone here can give that guidance I will sign up as well :)
I am thinking once we do get the Software update and not see steam start with SC appointment. If they ask for $2k speak to there managers and if that does no go anywhere than we all need to get together and start pulling the right strings to make this happen.
FYI, I tried to request the service for hardware upgrade same as the other guy did, but tesla called me and stated it's not officially supported and not on the upgrade list they can see 'yet' so they have closed.

We may have to wait until if upgrade is even possible and it costs $2000.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
What was this for ? Some other issue or was it for the steam Also for what vehicle ?
Car was showing an error, so they upgraded my internal computer from an 8GB to a 16GB with a micro SD card today.

Sentry still uses a 128GB card.

I think this fix is probably for infotainment / navigation and probably has nothing to do with the RAM that Steam needs. I’ll find out if they ever push the holiday firmware to my car, a 2021 Model S Plaid.

I was just hoping since it went from 8GB to 16 GB that this was THE fix. How many different memory chips are in the car?

FYI, I tried to request the service for hardware upgrade same as the other guy did, but tesla called me and stated it's not officially supported and not on the upgrade list they can see 'yet' so they have closed.

We may have to wait until if upgrade is even possible and it costs $2000.
I asked service for an upgrade today and they quoted me $2300. This is not right. I have February 2022 plaid model S with 8GB. They told me because of that the upgrade is not free. WTF.

Reactions: Ramphex
I asked service for an upgrade today and they quoted me $2300. This is not right. I have February 2022 plaid model S with 8GB. They told me because of that the upgrade is not free. WTF.
Nothing the service centers say at this point probably matters. At this point the system only has a SKU for an out of warranty replacement for a non-failed car computer, so that is what they are gong to quote. Once Tesla announces an official retrofit, we will get the actual details. (Like they have done with the Infotainment Upgrade and the camera upgrades.)

Last edited:
Car was showing an error, so they upgraded my internal computer from an 8GB to a 16GB with a micro SD card today.

Sentry still uses a 128GB card.

I think this fix is probably for infotainment / navigation and probably has nothing to do with the RAM that Steam needs. I’ll find out if they ever push the holiday firmware to my car, a 2021 Model S Plaid.

I was just hoping since it went from 8GB to 16 GB that this was THE fix. How many different memory chips are in the car?

There’s the on-board RAM, then there’s on-board storage, then the external storage (in your glove compartment or whichever USB port)

Nothing the service centers say at this point probably matters. At this point the system only has a SKU for an out of warranty replacement for a non-failed car computer, so that is what they are gong to quote. Once Tesla announces an official retrofit, we will get the actual details. (Like they have done with the Infotainment Upgrade and the camera upgrades.)
I hope so, I will wait patiently and not order anything now.

What’s your GPS doing

No GPS location. It just drifts off the road. Surprisingly breaks a lot of things on the car. FSD and autopilot won't engage at all. The air suspension doesn't raise at the right locations so I've been bottoming out the car all over the place. Even when I manually raise the suspension, without GPS the suspension drops after I move a few feet, so I have to watch it and keep hitting the raise over and over again. Of course, homelink doesn't work either.

I've reset a few times, it won't come back. Something about the interior camera being active breaks the GPS. They never bothered to test the interior camera and the GPS at the same time, and they don't work together.

Ship first, don't fix it later! Tesla mottoes.

• Informative
No GPS location. It just drifts off the road. Surprisingly breaks a lot of things on the car. FSD and autopilot won't engage at all. The air suspension doesn't raise at the right locations so I've been bottoming out the car all over the place. Even when I manually raise the suspension, without GPS the suspension drops after I move a few feet, so I have to watch it and keep hitting the raise over and over again. Of course, homelink doesn't work either.

I've reset a few times, it won't come back. Something about the interior camera being active breaks the GPS. They never bothered to test the interior camera and the GPS at the same time, and they don't work together.

Ship first, don't fix it later! Tesla mottoes.
I have a pre refresh 21 MXLR and the same thing happened to me.

Service kept insisting that the external drive I was using for sentry was causing it.

Once we eliminated that (eye roll) they replaced the MCU under warranty and the problem went away.

Just like Tesla to turn the knife. 🤬

Attachments

• 6E3A109D-568A-46E7-9C60-B20F6F4F04DE.jpeg
    6E3A109D-568A-46E7-9C60-B20F6F4F04DE.jpeg
    861.5 KB · Views: 61