Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refresh Tail Lamp and Charge Port Retrofit Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just finished opening the refresh body mounted tail light. You can’t use an oven heat or heat gun, it is plastic welded. Unfortunately, you need to use a dremel to open it up.
1) First, remove the 4 screws that hold the lens from the back assembly.
2) Then, using a Dremel, I followed the line that joins the lens to the back plastic.
Be careful on the trunk side as there are some connectors very close to the edge.
3) using plastic pliers gently pull the internal parts from the shell.
IMG_1651.jpeg

It isn't hard, just need to be gentle.

Attachments

• IMG_1654.jpeg
    IMG_1654.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1659.jpeg
    IMG_1659.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1665.jpeg
    IMG_1665.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1666.jpeg
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    529.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    572.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1674.jpeg
    IMG_1674.jpeg
    603.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 150
Ok, I don’t have good news. I don’t know if the transplant of internals is actually possible. I got the Old Style Lamps but there is no easy way to open them without damaging it.
I tried Heat gun and also baking but the “glue” between the transparent lens and the black plastic do not budge.
I don’t know how the others here were able to open the package to be able to retrofit the new lens.

Last edited:
What year model transplant rear lights did you get? Older shells vs New should be easier to seperate.

Though that's just the beginning of the problems. Plug isn't in the right place (also turned 90 degrees) and will require pin removal, a bread board and wiring extensions. The shape of the lights is also different with the new element being much deeper than the old ones. It will require modifications to the older housing to fit correctly. Along with test fitting into the car to see how much space is available.

All of those issues are why I've been enquiring to Aftermarket makers to see if they would produce a retrofit set to sell. No luck so far on that front either.

What year model transplant rear lights did you get? Older shells vs. New should be easier to seperate.

Though that's just the beginning of the problems. Plug isn't in the right place (also turned 90 degrees) and will require pin removal, a bread board and wiring extensions. The shape of the lights is also different with the new element being much deeper than the old ones. It will require modifications to the older housing to fit correctly. Along with test fitting into the car to see how much space is available.

All of those issues are why I've been enquiring to Aftermarket makers to see if they would produce a retrofit set to sell. No luck so far on that front either.
Yep, this is not a trivial retrofit as some posts in this thread may have set the impression. I am taking this project slowly now. I did not give up yet but it was a real bummer.

Reactions: leecox
Hello guys !
I will get my 01/22 Model S at the end of June.
Unfortunately, I get the old taillights.
I'm planning to do the retrofit. I will completely change the taillights with charging port due to my location (Europe)
I will update here if someone is interested.

Attachments

• BBF710CE-6A49-4818-9089-5AA63D011077.jpeg
    BBF710CE-6A49-4818-9089-5AA63D011077.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 187
Thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I really appreciate the idea of retaining the charging port. Kudos to @silversurfer1 for this brilliant idea. Changing the taillight housing was a bit time-consuming, but the ability to revert back to the original setup at any time makes it worth it. This is a very enjoyable DIY project.

View attachment 906029
I’m super jealous for the few that took the plunge and successfully upgraded to the new taillights. Of course my 2021 came with the older lights which is something I wanted to change so badly in 2022. I just didn’t have the time or patience so I left them alone.
Now the old/nasty looking taillights are bothering me again hah so I’m thinking about doing the work. The headlights don’t bother me at all but I desperately want the newer taillights. The idea of upgrading the two inner lights and leaving the outer taillights and chargeport alone are tempting (easy) but would probably look horrible. Cheers

It helps to consider the big picture.

The panamera taillight is just a taillight. It doesn’t incorporate both a high voltage charge port and a motorized charge port door.

The S tailight is more complex. Installing it, as part of the high voltage system is not something a lot of people will be willing to DIY. There isn’t a massive network of shops willing to do the work either.

Porsche owners are also notorious for paying big dollars for unique parts. They’re a large and well established supply of shops who will swap the taillights. Almost any owner could do the swap themselves if they wanted.

Lots of model S parts being made in china, yes. Not a single taillight in 10 years.
Refer to above.