Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Refreshed Model S - steering wheel yolk material peeling off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service says yoke with new material is coming out in nov.
Screenshot_20230913_151253_Tesla.jpg

Placed a service request today to get my yoke fixed on my MX23. Significant peeling L>R. Fully tinted so unsure if its just hands/callouses causing the tearing or sun/UV exposure. Regardless, I was told the by Service Advisor that the updated fixed yokes were pushed out til March/April. I'm impatient and didnt want to wait that long. But they are telling me its a one time "courtesy" replacement and if it happens again I will be on the hook for the charges. Can anybody confirm or verify? Per previous threads multiple peopel have had their steering wheels replaced more than once. I asked for clarification but they stopped responding to my messages.

Screenshot_20231121_094041_Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Looks like you use the same service center I do, ugh. I get they are busy but I have 3 teslas and dealing w/ this crap is making me reconsider them as an option in the future.
I had the same thing happened. they tried to say its my cleaning chemicals.. ive never cleaned the yoke at all lol. but yeah just another mess that no one at Tesla wants to take ownership of.

Reactions: Evee
trust me I couldn't believe it, but I know we've all had these experiences.

just to clarify the SA flat out blamed me, looked me dead in the eye, and said it was my fault with my cleaning chemicals.

thats where we are at today folks, gone are the days of old that we fell in love with.
Don’t buy the product moving forward. Tesla seems to be in a race to the bottom of the barrel. Volume over quality to squeeze the legacy auto makers. Tesla is good for your vast majority of owners who dont care about quality or service. They want a vehicle that goes point A to B and is reliable. tesla does that

LOLL i havent checked in with my service center because i already know this "new yoke" will keep on being delayed. i have been waiting since June for this new yoke to come in... and voila cherry on top, according to the text conversation above, wont be available until Feb/March of 2024 LOL

Do you really think they will have it by then? NO, probably not. They have been selling me this idea that it will finally come for months!

Material is already peeing off the steering wheel yolk. Anyone else having this issue (yet)?

View attachment 773030
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're facing with your steering wheel. If you're looking for an alternative, Tesery offers aftermarket steering wheels that use more durable leather. Not only can this enhance the interior aesthetics, but it might also provide improved comfort and longevity.

Feel free to check out our options on the Tesery .

Tesery Aftermarket steering wheel boasts several unique features that enhance your driving experience:

1. Premium Materials: Crafted with high-quality materials such as Ultraleather, Alcantara, perforated leather or carbon fiber accents, providing a luxurious and comfortable grip.
  2. Ergonomic Design:Tesery aftermarket steering wheels are designed with ergonomic precision, often featuring a flattened bottom for easier access and a sleek, minimalist aesthetic.
  3. Heated Functionality: Equipped with an electric heating element, allowing you to warm your hands during colder weather for added comfort.
  4. Enhanced Aesthetics: Designed with meticulous attention to detail, the Tesery After-sale steering wheel complements the interior of your Tesla, adding a sophisticated and personalized touch.
  5. Seamless Airbag Integration: Engineered to seamlessly integrate with Tesla's advanced airbag system, ensuring the highest level of safety in the event of a collision.
  6. Easy Installation: Designed for straightforward installation at authorized Tesla service centers, ensuring precise alignment, calibration, and adherence to safety standards.
  7. Customization Options: Offers a range of customization possibilities, allowing you to choose materials, stitching patterns, color accents, and other options to match your individual preferences.
  8. Durable and Long-lasting: Built to withstand the rigors of daily driving, the Tesery After-sale steering wheel is engineered for durability and longevity.
  9. Comprehensive Warranty: Backed by a comprehensive warranty package covering manufacturing defects, providing you with peace of mind and assurance in the quality of your purchase.
These unique features collectively contribute to an elevated driving experience, combining comfort and style to enhance your time behind the wheel.

Don’t buy the product moving forward. Tesla seems to be in a race to the bottom of the barrel. Volume over quality to squeeze the legacy auto makers. Tesla is good for your vast majority of owners who dont care about quality or service. They want a vehicle that goes point A to B and is reliable. tesla does that
100% agree with everything you said and why my Plaid will be my last Tesla purchase. The race to the bottom will be just fine with lots in the 3/Y crowd but luxury car buyers in the S/X market (that funded the first decade of Tesla's existence) tend to expect to be treated a little better than the complete contempt that many SCs show these days.

100% agree with everything you said and why my Plaid will be my last Tesla purchase. The race to the bottom will be just fine with lots in the 3/Y crowd but luxury car buyers in the S/X market (that funded the first decade of Tesla's existence) tend to expect to be treated a little better than the complete contempt that many SCs show these days.
We should create a list of notorious SCs and a list of friendly SCs. Hopefully, when service volumes drop, these SCs will either be forced to close or have some personnel turnover And the good SCs with great service be rewarded. My car is in the shop today and I came out of it exasperated from the hard time two Service Advisors gave me.

I will never go back to the Lake Forest, CA service center again. As they say over there, when something is not working, it is called Design limitation and is not defective. Bullshit. I will believe that if they replaced the part and the same issue re-appears but first — they should do their job and honor their warranty —replace the damned part! And rush a revised part from design to market.

For today, I fought for replacing the yoke, for the first time, due to the known intermittent turn signal issue. One SA said its normal because it works consistently when I press extra hard anyway on the left turn signal while the rest of the buttons in the yoke are depressed lightly, uniformly. So, that’s supposed to be normal. The other one is my rear cellphone wireless charging intermittently depending on the phone position within the charging pad. He said it’s normal. NORMAL? The other issue is my right door panel wood chipping on its own. And that’s supposed to be also normal. They asked me to pay for it if I wanted it replaced. Where is the factory warranty on defective materials and labor, Tesla?

So, yeah, I paid for the door wood replacement because getting a high blood every time I see it and the rest of the wood about to disintegrate is dangerous to my health and not worth it.

Dang, my friends, what have we gotten to?