Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the attached Osiris of the ship Mr Miserable predicts will be bringing our M3P’s to the UK and Eire

Attachments

• 93CA05E7-DF4F-480F-8689-EDD5BCF9FDDD.jpeg
    93CA05E7-DF4F-480F-8689-EDD5BCF9FDDD.jpeg
    782.6 KB · Views: 97
June 2020 HOEGH XIAMEN caught fire whilst loading at Jacksonville Florida. Despite the fire service being on scene very quickly and using drones with IR cameras to detect hot spots, the ship continued to burn for 8 days. This fire was very concerning since if a fire cannot be extinguished when alongside with the benefit of a fully equipped fire service using fire boats and all the latest technology, what chance would it have at sea?
I wonder if this is because the vessel won’t run its own fire suppression system at sea? Quite normal in my experience not to run fire pumps (as well as others like RO feeds for fresh water) in harbour due to the danger of pulling debris in through the sea chests, they would normally just run with the pressure in the fire system when they arrive and rely on shore support if needed. Arguably a worse situation than being at sea as long as they still have power generation.

GLOVIS SUN I should perhaps have made clearer that there is nothing abnormal or wrong for a ship to stop or slow down mid ocean. Crews are constantly under training and emergency drills are regularly practiced. This could include a man overboard drill or a fire drill which could take several hours to complete. Fire is a very real risk on car carriers and so fire drills are regularly practiced.
I liked your post because it was very informative as usual, but I am not quite sure I really liked what I read 😅🤣🤣

I wonder if this is because the vessel won’t run its own fire suppression system at sea? Quite normal in my experience not to run fire pumps (as well as others like RO feeds for fresh water) in harbour due to the danger of pulling debris in through the sea chests, they would normally just run with the pressure in the fire system when they arrive and rely on shore support if needed. Arguably a worse situation than being at sea as long as they still have power generation.
A very good point.
I also question where the command and control for this fire was being exercised from. I suspect that as soon as the shore based services turned up, command and control was relinquished to a truck on the pier equipped with a whiteboard.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Over at Pier 80, I have been informed that it is unlikely that GLOVIS CENTURY will be departing anytime soon.
When questioned further - Thursday - no chance, Friday - possibly, Saturday - maybe, you get the idea.
I don't know what the issue is.

For those new to this thread, I do have sources close to Pier 80 operations but much of their work is covered by draconian Non Disclosure Agreements written into their contracts. Some specifics are absolutely off limits like number and type of vehicles being loaded, the ship's destination, etc and I wouldn't ask these questions. I can however ask for example if they would be free for lunch on Thursday.

From Pier 80, the first opportunity for GLOVIS CENTURY to depart will be tomorrow evening (around 6pm local). The 2nd opportunity will be in the early hours of Saturday morning. At the moment, the target that everyone is aiming for, is for her to depart tomorrow evening..

@Mr Miserable how long do RoRo ships unload and then typically for Tesla, how long till all cars leave the dock parking lot? I'm curious about that part of the process. Thanks!
Unloading is usually done within 2 days - they are efficient.
They sit dockside less than 2 week - as this is usually the timeframe within which they will be delivered to customers from unload.
N.B. port operations are kept under wraps with loads of security - with good reason: each shipment of Tesla is worth approx 150,000,000 Euro

Reactions: yfwt and cpt_
Status
Not open for further replies.