Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is interesting.
The UK/Ireland are supplied from China whereas LHD Europe Model 3 LR were being supplied from USA.
Your quoted delivery date in Q4 would tend to indicate that I should not expect many ships from Fremont to Europe in Q3 with LHD Model 3 LR on board.
Tesla in the past have been prone to promise earlier delivery dates than could be achieved and so in one way it is refreshing to see them being more realistic.
Due to the way that Tesla manufacture and ship, November looks a genuine month for a Q4 delivery whereas if they had said October I would say there would be zero chance of delivery. If the date was to move forward it would have to come forward to September and into Q3. If that was possible I am sure they would have said it and so I'm inclined to think you are unlikely to get an earlier delivery. Sorry, but it's worth the wait!
This would suggest that Europe (with the notable exception of the UK thus far) is sold out of LR Model 3 for Q3, before Q2 is over! It might also indicate significant demand for Tesla vehicles overall, considering the LR is the mid-range version, so I wouldn’t be surprised if soon the deliveries of new SR+ orders also get pushed to November.

This would suggest that Europe (with the notable exception of the UK thus far) is sold out of LR Model 3 for Q3, before Q2 is over! It might also indicate significant demand for Tesla vehicles overall, considering the LR is the mid-range version, so I wouldn’t be surprised if soon the deliveries of new SR+ orders also get pushed to November.
The UK recently had a similar wait for Performance models. In this case the wait was because China was not set up to produce Performance models and the US production couldn't supply because of the Y production line.
China can now supply all 3 models to the UK so I am surprised it can't supply LHD models to Europe. I don't buy the sold out theory.
It could be that the Chinese LR models for Q3 have been earmarked for sale elsewhere or could it be that because the EU produced Model Y is going to be late, China will satisfy the demand for Model Y in Europe until such time as Berlin is up and running? I doubt it but this is Tesla.....

The TORINO mystery has been solved.
Apparently the ship has a poorly crewman onboard and so the ship will anchor in the SF Bay to allow the crewman to depart the ship and get treatment.
The ship will depart later this evening. It's not being categorised as a medical emergency and so there is a degree of bureaucracy involved which will take time.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB
Dear @Mr Miserable
I am very much enjoy learning about shipping and more from your posts and updates, very grateful for those. While most people are getting their cars by next week, my M3P that came in Hyperion Ray is now in a container on the ONE EAGLE -021E, supposed to arrive to Lam Chabang, Thailand on July 24th. My amateur tracking showed that she is currently at Antwerpen, Belgium, after leaving Thames, UK.

What I didn’t know is why the car was transported from Southampton to Thames, is this another port?

I doubted if this ONE EAGLE is going to make how many more stops. It seems like she is taking longer time from UK to Thailand in comparison to the time the Hyperion Ray made from Shanghai to Seebrugge.

very much appreciate the info you will provide.

Your container's schedule is as follows:

Depart Antwerp 23 Jun
Suez Canal transit on 10 Jul
Stop at Jeddah for 24hrs on 13 Jul
Singapore on 21 Jul Depart on 23 Jul
Arrive Laem Chabang 25 Jul unloading until 27 Jul

That is quite a journey your car has had since departing Shanghai on 13 May!

Reactions: gollygui
Hi there and thanks for your superb work Mr Miserable, I ordered a LHD SR in june with a delivery stated in august, no news from Tesla yet, i understand that we are at the end of the quarter rush, do you know how long of a break in deliveries there is after the end of the quarter ? Is Tesla Shanghai going to start shipping again soon for deliveries in August ? Because I go on holidays begininning of august and hoping that maybe just maybe I'll get my car for the holidays ...

Hi there and thanks for your superb work Mr Miserable, I ordered a LHD SR in june with a delivery stated in august, no news from Tesla yet, i understand that we are at the end of the quarter rush, do you know how long of a break in deliveries there is after the end of the quarter ? Is Tesla Shanghai going to start shipping again soon for deliveries in August ? Because I go on holidays begininning of august and hoping that maybe just maybe I'll get my car for the holidays ...
I would expect a shipment to depart Shanghai early next month. Last quarter the first ship departed on the 7th and I expect something similar in Q3.
That ship would arrive in Zeebrugge around 6 Aug at the earliest and then it has to get to you....
So I wouldn't count on having the car for your holidays, sadly.

There's a rumour from a well connected friend in Switzerland that Europe are getting the MY in Q3 - shipped in, not Berlin. Speculation, gossip, wishful thinking, we won't know until it happens, but its a credible explanation if true as to no M3 if they're switching to MY production and shipping those in the next quarter, much the same as the Performance model in Q2 and geenrally not bothering with Europe on the new MS - its how they allocate production.

There's a rumour from a well connected friend in Switzerland that Europe are getting the MY in Q3 - shipped in, not Berlin. Speculation, gossip, wishful thinking, we won't know until it happens, but its a credible explanation if true as to no M3 if they're switching to MY production and shipping those in the next quarter, much the same as the Performance model in Q2 and geenrally not bothering with Europe on the new MS - its how they allocate production.
That could explain the November delivery estimate for M3 LR in Europe. How unfortunate for us who have ordered M3 LR recently, though. Well, Model S is due in Q1 2022. According to the Gantt chart shared by Tobias Lindh who is tracking Berlin Giga progress, the plant shall be in full swing by November ( ). However, the question here is the M3:Y production ratio.

An updated San Francisco port schedule has been published to show us our first Tesla ship of Q3 from Pier 80, CSAV RIO NEVADO which is scheduled to arrive on 7 Jul and depart on 10 Jul.
At the moment I have not seen anything to suggest that she will be coming to Europe but I won't rule it out completely yet because many European port schedules have not been updated as far ahead as August yet.

Q3 looks like it may be an unusual quarter for shipping.
About this time each quarter I start looking for possible Tesla ships from Pier 80 to Europe and draw up a short list.
This time I have come up with zero. Nada, zilch, not even a long shot.
Very odd.
I'm left wondering if all shipments to Europe will be coming from China this quarter....

A quick look on the dockside at Drammen, Norway shows Teslas still on the dockside! That's a crime!
With tomorrow being the last day of Q2 this is not good news.
OK the June figures for Tesla deliveries in Norway will be good anyway, but still..

Was there over-ordering going on in anticipation of a lack of shipments in Q3?

Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 20.27.20.png

About this time each quarter I start looking for possible Tesla ships from Pier 80 to Europe and draw up a short list.
Very odd.
I'm left wondering if all shipments to Europe will be coming from China this quarter....
Never thought shipping could be so interesting 😂 It’s like the Santa tracker for big kids waiting for Tesla’s.

I ordered early June, so hopefully will see some movement next week with the first ship leaving Shanghai? How often do the ships depart once the quarter kicks off?

Hello @Mr Miserable, but you are not really surprised, that TESLA is throwing the entire transport logistics out the window?
We are already partly used to that from the last quarters. ;)

But if it really is the case that only a few ships come to Europe from the USA in Q3, then correspondingly more should set off from Shanghai?
Have you been able to find out anything about this?

Thank you and greetings from the German TFF forum

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Take it with a pinch of salt because all Tesla staff say different things but when I finally picked mine up last week the guy at the SC said they were already sold out for Q3 in the UK

Very odd.

Comes down to a few factors I would think. Mr. M likely knows a bit about one of these:

1. Cost of shipping from China to Europe versus from the U.S.
2 Cost of production in China versus the U.S.
3. Level of China production. If U.S. Model Y production is fully slated for the U.S. and China has ramped Y production, shipping the Y to Europe and selling at a hefty premium in Q3 may be the decision.

FWIW, Model Y end of quarter in the U.S. is an absolute feeding frenzy.

Is shipping cost solely based on duration at sea? What is the cost per car from China and U.S. to Europe?

RT

12 day Atlantic crossing, 7000 car capacity, 90% less emissions ..

autoevolution: Wind-Powered Oceanbird Is the Tallest Ship in the World, Can Carry 7000 Cars.

Reactions: Mr Miserable
12 day Atlantic crossing, 7000 car capacity, 90% less emissions ..

autoevolution: Wind-Powered Oceanbird Is the Tallest Ship in the World, Can Carry 7000 Cars.
These ships can't come too soon since vehicle carriers are big polluters.

Reactions: RubberToe
Status
Not open for further replies.