Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DONG A GLAUCOS has departed Shanghai to Hong Kong.
This big ship earned the nickname The Mighty Dong in this forum in 2019 when she delivered the largest Tesla shipment then seen to Zeebrugge from Pier 80 in San Francisco. I also believe she was the 'missing ship' at the end of Q2 this year when a large European shipment from Shanghai failed to be shipped. So she has 'form' and could worth keeping an eye on for that reason alone.
On the other hand, she didn't spend very long alongside. She is a big ship and I would have expected a much longer time alongside for her to be fully loaded and coupled with her past itinerary I strongly suspect she was delivering rather than picking up.
Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye on her, she could be being used to deliver Teslas to Hong Kong.

Reactions: Tom Tes
The DONG A GLAUCOS has departed Shanghai to Hong Kong.
This big ship earned the nickname The Mighty Dong in this forum in 2019 when she delivered the largest Tesla shipment then seen to Zeebrugge from Pier 80 in San Francisco. I also believe she was the 'missing ship' at the end of Q2 this year when a large European shipment from Shanghai failed to be shipped. So she has 'form' and could worth keeping an eye on for that reason alone.
On the other hand, she didn't spend very long alongside. She is a big ship and I would have expected a much longer time alongside for her to be fully loaded and coupled with her past itinerary I strongly suspect she was delivering rather than picking up.
Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye on her, she could be being used to deliver Teslas to Hong Kong.
I remember seeing a YouTube video from Hoegh Autoliners where it took them 16 hours to load 1000 cars, and that was considered a short time frame in the video.

I remember seeing a YouTube video from Hoegh Autoliners where it took them 16 hours to load 1000 cars, and that was considered a short time frame in the video.
Yes.
People often forget that a ship will also unload as well as load in a port and it all takes time.
Shanghai is without doubt one of the most efficient ports in the world for turning a ship round (one of the main Japanese ports would probably take the crown). It's probably a reflection of how many teams of drivers are thrown at the problem but the organisation, speed and discipline of the teams just make it an incredible spectacle of continual movement controlled by whistles, wands and horns. However, a slight hiccup ( a car with a flat, a car that won't start) can derail the whole process. An eerie silence immediately descends as the snake quickly halts, the problem gets sorted and slowly the movement restarts. It takes time for the former rythmn to be reestablished and back up to its former speed.
All the drivers wear a uniform that is designed not to snag or mark - no buttons or metal studs. The cars are parked a specified (small) distance apart that means that they cannot be accessed once parked. Every car will be lashed to the deck to prevent movement. In the event of heavy seas and a lashing breaking the loose car's movement will be restricted by the close proximity of its neighbours limiting damage to a small localised area and not endangering the ship. Each car will be loaded according to a pre-arranged plan in batches designed for easy unloading. (It's no use arriving at a port and having to move 1000 cars to get at the 200 that need unloading). The loading plan will have been sent to the ship prior to its arrival so that the ship can be safely ballasted for the rotation. On arrival the dock plan and ship plan are compared to ensure everyone is working to the same sheet of music and then the ballet commences. The ship's crew keep an eye on the condition of vehicles as they come aboard. There are lots of rules covering damage and the Captain will ensure that the ship is in "ship-shape condition" in all respects before loading begins. This includes everything from the the crew's qualifications to deck cleanliness. If a single member of the crew's numerous qualifications are missing or expired, in the event of any damage, howsoever caused to the vehicles, it will be argued that the ship was not seaworthy and should not have put to sea thereby laying the ship liable. The shipping companies operational procedure manuals are thick and well thumbed. Different companies have slightly different procedures but in the main they are much of a muchness in that the safe handling of the cargo is of prime concern.
Loading, particularly in smaller less frequented ports can be troublesome. Here you are more likely to encounter poorly trained stevedores. They are slower (although they invariably drive too fast!) more likely to damage vehicles, or the ship, and the lashings applied need to be more closely scrutinised.
The larger the ship or the load the more likely 'extra' stevedores will have been employed and the more likely 'temporary' unskilled workers will have been signed on to complete it - the ships crew are looking for signs of this and are ready to document it to protect the ship from the inevitable damage claims.
It's a tricky business which is why once a car company is happy with its handling agents, its shippers, its ports and shipping companies it is very unlikely to risk a change.

The San Francisco Port Schedule has been published which confirms that RCC TIANJIN will be the next ship to dock at Pier 80. The ship is however running behind schedule by about 24 hrs. She might make it to Pier 80 on the 12th but her stay in her next port of call, Hueneme, will have to be very short.
The schedule actually names the ship "RCC Tianjin'Fe"
Clearly a typo but if you recall I named a possible 3rd ship COSCO TENGFEI as a possible ship to call after RCC TIANJIN.
I reckon this ship could call at Pier 80 around 22nd or 23rd.
We shall see.....

I really enjoy all those tidbits revealed here - it makes so much sense. Thank you for filling out the emptiness between order and delivery!
When cars are loaded they are run with folded mirrors and reverse parked by directions in the rear mirror from stevedore.
If they can get fist between cars they are too wide and need reparking . Always reversed In for faster unloading.

Reactions: S.Lav
The apparent flurry of continental VIN allocations would seem to indicate that we have a ship on the way. ASIAN TRUST is on my watch list since she has just left Shanghai and is heading in the right direction, to Singapore initially. I have also yet to find her itinerary, so she may be a charter....
I'm still a little surprised at THEMIS since she wasn't scheduled to head for S Korea originally. Her latest itinerary has her routing to Masan S Korea then to Piraeus and then to Zeebrugge arriving there on 15 Nov. Looking at her loading time in Shanghai and the timings of her scheduled stops, it appears that the bulk of her cargo onboard is routing from Shanghai to Zeebrugge. She is not a Tesla charter but I wouldn't be surprised if she is carrying several decks full of Teslas. We had a ship last quarter with Teslas onboard that routed via South Korea and so THEMIS is now a prime suspect until I hear otherwise.

UPDATE: Almost as soon as I had posted this, I found the itinerary for ASIAN TRUST which I had misfiled. Suffice to say, she is now off the watch list.
Do Tesla ships come direct to Southampton?

Delays in the port of Shanghai have become the norm over the last 18 months but the delays hit the container fleet primarily. Vehicle carriers up to now have only been slightly affected but now the Port of Shanghai's stringent COVID restrictions are hitting vehicle carriers too with much slower unloading and loading meaning more time alongside and as a consequence lower utilisation of the available two quays. Looking back at my records from previous quarters the number of vehicle carriers that have called at the two main quays is noticeably less and I also suspect (difficult to quantify) that the number of ships waiting offshore is less too. This might indicate that vehicles are already being shipped to/from alternative ports.
I am sure Tesla will be looking at the situation and exploring options. Admittedly there isn't the pressure of quarter-end looming but there will be a limit to the available space to park vehicles awaiting shipment. I'll be watching the alternative quays Tesla used last quarter to load and I'll be watching the Shanghai anchorages for ships leaving and heading for nearby ports. Normally I would expect to see the first ship departing for Europe about now.

There are a few ships off Shanghai at the moment that have caught my eye - LAKE FUXIAN, GLOVIS CHAMPION and HELIOS RAY. GLOVIS CHAMPION is certainly going to be coming to Europe but I reckon if she is a Tesla ship she won't be departing until around 28 Oct. I have seen no evidence (yet) of LAKE FUXIAN or HELIOS RAY operating in Europe in Nov/Dec and that is disappointing.
Hurry up and wait ...

Any prediction on the arrival of late Sept orders to Southampton? If any one can predict it's you. 👍
Tesla don't build to order. They build whatever takes their fancy (I'm sure they have a system!) and then match whatever they have produced to outstanding orders. It means some people are lucky and are not kept waiting long and then there is the rest.....
Of course, Tesla will keep you informed...Ahem...OK...I lied. Tesla will not tell you a thing.
You are in radio silence and if you dare ask you will receive a stock answer.
So suddenly the world of Tesla shipping becomes interesting. Welcome to the thread!
Let's say at the outset that I'm pretty confident that you will have your car by 31 Dec ie quarter-end - that is right of arc. On the left of arc....
I would normally expect the first shipment to depart Shanghai about now and the first Q4 deliveries to be around 11 Nov but so far I have yet to spot a Tesla ship and trust me, I have been looking. I am expecting at least 3 and probably 4, and at a push maybe even 5 boatloads into Southampton by Christmas. OK, 5 might be a stretch.
Keep checking back here. Once a ship is identified I will do a daily progress report on it. We may not know initially whether it will be inbound to Southampton and may have to wait until it passes through Suez but by then you will have been given a delivery date by Tesla. The first indication that your car is on the way is when your VIN is allocated or as Tesla would say 'you have been matched'. I would rather VIN allocation discussions and how to find out whether you have been matched before Tesla tell you is discussed on another thread. The Orders and Deliveries thread is a good place to start.
Hopefully you will find the wait entertaining....

Tesla don't build to order. They build whatever takes their fancy (I'm sure they have a system!) and then match whatever they have produced to outstanding orders. It means some people are lucky and are not kept waiting long and then there is the rest.....
Of course, Tesla will keep you informed...Ahem...OK...I lied. Tesla will not tell you a thing.
You are in radio silence and if you dare ask you will receive a stock answer.
So suddenly the world of Tesla shipping becomes interesting. Welcome to the thread!
Let's say at the outset that I'm pretty confident that you will have your car by 31 Dec ie quarter-end - that is right of arc. On the left of arc....
I would normally expect the first shipment to depart Shanghai about now and the first Q4 deliveries to be around 11 Nov but so far I have yet to spot a Tesla ship and trust me, I have been looking. I am expecting at least 3 and probably 4, and at a push maybe even 5 boatloads into Southampton by Christmas. OK, 5 might be a stretch.
Keep checking back here. Once a ship is identified I will do a daily progress report on it. We may not know initially whether it will be inbound to Southampton and may have to wait until it passes through Suez but by then you will have been given a delivery date by Tesla. The first indication that your car is on the way is when your VIN is allocated or as Tesla would say 'you have been matched'. I would rather VIN allocation discussions and how to find out whether you have been matched before Tesla tell you is discussed on another thread. The Orders and Deliveries thread is a good place to start.
Hopefully you will find the wait entertaining....
I look forward to it 👍😁

I note GLOVIS SOLOMON looks like she is heading into Shanghai after loitering offshore for several days.
I'm aware that elsewhere on the interweb there is a level of excitement about this ship but if they spent just a little bit of time on some research they would be rewarded by learning its itinerary, which is not to Europe. Ignore the noise.

Reactions: Jayster
I think it timely to remind folk of the ships that have sailed that are currently on my watch list:

VIRGO LEADER - Should arrive off Singapore tomorrow for a refuel. A bit of an outsider, I think.
THEMIS - Heading for Singapore but likely to be carrying only LHD Teslas to Zeebrugge.
DONG A GLAUCOS - Heading for Hong Kong at present . I'm very interested in this ship. The only downside is that I dont think she was in Shanghai long enough to be fully loaded.
ALTAIR LEADER - Currently loading in Shanghai

So no definites at present....

I think it timely to remind folk of the ships that have sailed that are currently on my watch list:

VIRGO LEADER - Should arrive off Singapore tomorrow for a refuel. A bit of an outsider, I think.
THEMIS - Heading for Singapore but likely to be carrying only LHD Teslas to Zeebrugge.
DONG A GLAUCOS - Heading for Hong Kong at present . I'm very interested in this ship. The only downside is that I dont think she was in Shanghai long enough to be fully loaded.
ALTAIR LEADER - Currently loading in Shanghai

So no definites at present....
The ALTAIR LEADER seems to be scheduled for 28th of November in Southampton, but the website that mentions it is specialized in Japanese cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.