Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, may or may not be related but whilst in the car today, I went onto the software screen and it was sat there for the entire 10 minute drive “checking for updates”. When I subsequently returned to the car it told me 24.6 was available for download and to connect to wifi. Now back home and downloading.

Reactions: Durzel
13 minutes. The unusual offline period and the subsequent longer sleep period was when we were both away from the house, so no phones nearby. Doesn’t explain the offline or the short awake period in between, though. It’s all very strange.
That's quite a common occurrence and can probably be dismissed.

Did you have the alarm issue? I wonder if they've fixed that by making the car more sensitive to Bluetooth?

That's quite a common occurrence and can probably be dismissed.

Did you have the alarm issue? I wonder if they've fixed that by making the car more sensitive to Bluetooth?
We didn’t have the alarm issue. Ours is a MiC ‘21. However, I think this is how Tesla have fixed it, even if only pending a car firmware update. If the car wakes up as soon as it detects the BT connection, then the alarm shouldn’t go off.

Reactions: init6
Unfortunately, it looks like the issue remains in 24.6. Our car had finally fallen asleep when I went down to the kitchen, which is near’ish the driveway and the car has woken up. I think Tesla have screwed the pooch and set it so the app wakes the car up whenever a BT connection is made.

Unfortunately, it looks like the issue remains in 24.6. Our car had finally fallen asleep when I went down to the kitchen, which is near’ish the driveway and the car has woken up. I think Tesla have screwed the pooch and set it so the app wakes the car up whenever a BT connection is made.
My car is constantly waking regardless of BT connection. My wife and I commuted to work on Monday so the car was nowhere near either of our phones, but it was still waking. I've resorted to just keeping sentry on during the day so at least the HV contacts aren't constantly switching back and forth.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
My car is constantly waking regardless of BT connection. My wife and I commuted to work on Monday so the car was nowhere near either of our phones, but it was still waking. I've resorted to just keeping sentry on during the day so at least the HV contacts aren't constantly switching back and forth.
Go on, change the password :)

Only takes a few minutes and it will at least rule out any spurious API connections.

I’m on 2022.20.8 and experiencing the same frequent wake-ups (35-40 times a day). Force-killing the Tesla app will allow my Model 3 to sleep soundly.

This problem started with the latest Tesla app update to 4.12.0 on August 28. My TeslaFi logs confirm the exact timing coinciding with when I updated the app (iOS).

For now, I have to remember to force-kill the Tesla app as a workaround until Tesla fixes the app.

I’m on 2022.20.8 and experiencing the same frequent wake-ups (35-40 times a day). Force-killing the Tesla app will allow my Model 3 to sleep soundly.

This problem started with the latest Tesla app update to 4.12.0 on August 28. My TeslaFi logs confirm the exact timing coinciding with when I updated the app (iOS).

For now, I have to remember to force-kill the Tesla app as a workaround until Tesla fixes the app.
Does it wake the car when Bluetooth is off? Wonder if this is a side effect of trying to make Phone Key faster or more reliable...

Last edited:
Definitely think something funky (technical term) is going on either with the Tesla app or its widget, leading to sporadic wakeups.

I just randomly woke up, so checked my phone next to my bed like a true Gen Z wannabe and sure enough when I checked TeslaMate it said the car was online and has been for a few seconds. Checking TeslaMate it had been asleep for several hours before that.

So either I just caught it waking up by chance, or my phone did something to wake it up. I hadn’t gone anywhere near the Tesla app, or any EV app for that matter.
Woke up randomly again just now (04:30), so started playing with my phone. Checked TeslaMate and car had been asleep for 10 hours but then suddenly showed “online”

So either my phone did something to wake the car up, checking TeslaMate did, or my car randomly woke up at exactly the time I started playing with my phone for the second night running. Hmmm.

I’m on 2022.20.8 and experiencing the same frequent wake-ups (35-40 times a day). Force-killing the Tesla app will allow my Model 3 to sleep soundly..
Is this on an iPhone? How do you force kill the app? Mine isn’t running on my phone at all, never usually is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Woke up randomly again just now (04:30), so started playing with my phone. Checked TeslaMate and car had been asleep for 10 hours but then suddenly showed “online”

So either my phone did something to wake the car up, checking TeslaMate did, or my car randomly woke up at exactly the time I started playing with my phone for the second night running. Hmmm.

Is this on an iPhone? How do you force kill the app? Mine isn’t running on my phone at all, never usually is.
Go into the app switcher view and then swipe up on the Tesla app. You’ll see you get a notification about needing to keep the app open for the key to work.

That fits with my experience. I’m convinced it’s a bodge to sort out the alarm on open glitch.

Go on, change the password :)

Only takes a few minutes and it will at least rule out any spurious API connections.
I changed my password recently and since then. I’ve used no additional apps that require my Tesla creds. Once Tesla get back to me I’ll make a decision on that.

But for now it seems to be an issue with something down at Tesla HQ.

Go into the app switcher view and then swipe up on the Tesla app. You’ll see you get a notification about needing to keep the app open for the key to work.
Ok, so closing the Tesla app no longer works. I noticed when I did this I didn’t get the notification about the app needing to be open. The car continued with its insomnia and when I tried to open the car this unlocked without issue. So it would appear it is no longer possible to close the Tesla app.

Next test - BT off.

Yup, I mean it wasn't even running as a background app. I've been bitten by having the Tesla app as one of the background apps before (i.e. accidentally switching to it which then wakes the car up), so am aware of the message you mean. But thanks for the tip. :)

Just to be clear - when I woke up today at about 04:30 I picked up my phone, checked TeslaMate and I saw in real time the status change from "Asleep for 10 h" to "online for X secs". I'm 99.9% sure TeslaMate didn't wake it up, since I've not changed anything with it, and I've read plenty of anecdotal stories on here from people reporting that the latest Tesla app on iOS (at least, not sure on Android) seems to wake the car up randomly.

It annoyed me enough that I just adopted a scorched earth policy and deleted the entire app from my phone, so I can see what happens.

Next test - BT off.

I don't think that will work sadly. I was well outside BT range when my car woke up this morning. I turned off "Background app refresh" for the Tesla app, but then read elsewhere on here (specifically this and this) that it makes no difference, so I just nuked the app from orbit instead.

Last edited:
Ok, so closing the Tesla app no longer works. I noticed when I did this I didn’t get the notification about the app needing to be open. The car continued with its insomnia and when I tried to open the car this unlocked without issue. So it would appear it is no longer possible to close the Tesla app.

Next test - BT off.
I am on an iphone and with Tesla app4.12.0-1257.

Tesla app closes just as normal for me (as does everything else), with a swipe up to the top of the screen. If yours is refusing to close then turn off and on the iphone and start from scratch.

I am on an iphone and with Tesla app4.12.0-1257.

Tesla app closes just as normal for me (as does everything else), with a swipe up to the top of the screen. If yours is refusing to close then turn off and on the iphone and start from scratch.
The app disappears as expected, but it would appear to still be running in the background. I’m aware I can also disable background app refresh, however swiping up used to fully close the app. Now, even swiping up still causes the car to unlock if you have the phone with you, so it appears to still linger in the shadows.