Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's Tesla app update to 4.12.1 didn't fix the constant-waking for me. In the first 35 minutes after updating, my car woke up twice for no apparent reason.

I force-quit the Tesla app and it's been asleep for over 1.5 hours so far.

I'll once again be force-quitting the app whenever I get home. I'm running the latest iOS 15 (nothing beta). This constant waking can't be good for the HV contactors.

Last edited:
It's at times like this that I'm rather glad that I never installed any monitoring software because I have no idea if my car is awake or not & I see a fair amount of anxiety among those that have.

Since new in April 2020 my car did and still does lose a max of 1% SOC per night. Over recent weeks it hasn't even done that (last charge Monday afternoon to 84%, unused since & still 84% late last night when I opened the Tesla app). The car is on 2022.20.8 & IOS app 4.12.1

If continual waking is meant to affect SOC, mine is either not doing that or if it is it must be having marginal effect so either way it's not something I concern myself with.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but at the same time I like being able to check the current status of my car without interacting with the app (which wakes it up).

The wake ups we've been experiencing (or at least in my case) haven't really affected SoC much, as the car pretty much goes back to sleep straight away. It's still irritating though.

Anyway, a picture paints a thousand words...

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 09.04.03.png

Since deleting the Tesla app from my phone the car has been asleep for 27 hours. Previous to that the longest it managed was ~10 hours, when I was in bed. So it's clear that the app is to blame for these wakeups.

Interestingly enough there was an update to the iOS (presumably Android too) Tesla app today. Wonder if that is to fix this issue? Or whether it's just in preparation for iOS 15.7 that's out soon, in which case there would be no Android update.

Last edited:
Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but at the same time I like being able to check the current status of my car without interacting with the app (which wakes it up).

The wake ups we've been experiencing (or at least in my case) haven't really affected SoC much, as the car pretty much goes back to sleep straight away. It's still irritating though.

Anyway, a picture paints a thousand words...

View attachment 850209

Since deleting the Tesla app from my phone the car has been asleep for 27 hours. Previous to that the longest it managed was ~10 hours, when I was in bed. So it's clear that the app is to blame for these wakeups.
The car slept all night with my phone off. When I switched my phone on this morning the car woke up minutes later.

Like you, I’ve deleted the app for the time being as it’s clearly the issue and I don’t think it’s limited to BT proximity as switching it off did nothing.

My wife still has the app and uses it normally, without waking the car. But she’s on Android. I wonder if it’s iOS or even hardware specific? I have an iPhone SE 2nd gen.

It's at times like this that I'm rather glad that I never installed any monitoring software because I have no idea if my car is awake or not & I see a fair amount of anxiety among those that have.

Since new in April 2020 my car did and still does lose a max of 1% SOC per night. Over recent weeks it hasn't even done that (last charge Monday afternoon to 84%, unused since & still 84% late last night when I opened the Tesla app). The car is on 2022.20.8 & IOS app 4.12.1

If continual waking is meant to affect SOC, mine is either not doing that or if it is it must be having marginal effect so either way it's not something I concern myself with.
I work (and play) in software engineering so being able to interact with my car’s data this way is a major plus for me. Though I don’t think it’s anxiety inducing. The forum takes care of that for me.

Being able to contribute to improving the car is also a major plus, because not only does it improve the experience for me, it improves the experience for everyone; knowingly or unknowingly.

Who knows, if this wasn’t picked up and went on for long enough, there could have been premature wear on very large numbers of HV contactors (if that’s even possible).

Last edited:
My testing continues. The new app now does give us the “phone key won’t work properly” notification when closing the app, however this hasn’t made a difference. We also disabled BT and background updates for the Tesla app, again no change. So now the car is unplugged sat in the rain with both our phones with BT disabled completely (from the settings, not control centre).

Reactions: Durzel
It's quite possibly an iPhone only problem. If your partner has an Android phone (or you do) then that might be a workaround.

I guess as problems go it's not the end of the world if the car keeps spontaneously waking up, but it sure is irritating when it could sleep for days if you're not using it.

So testing would suggest the app will try its damndest to keep the car awake. The only way to stop the car from constantly waking up was to close the app, remove all its privileges (BT, background refresh) and turn off the phone’s BT.

Only turning off BT still allowed the app to wake up the car, although less frequently.

Tesla have definitely screwed the pooch on this one. I think the only realistic solution is for Tesla to fix it.