Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.36 — Official Release Notes and Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 36.6 today, updated from 36.5. I accidentally left the driver door ajar and while it did stay at 50% for a bit, it never went into sleep/standy. The whole thing went much faster than updates lately, less than an hour total, including install. Need to try that again the next update to see if it actually helps, by preventing sleep.

I just got -36.6 last night, and it seems to have the same features as the previous one or two releases. But I haven't figured out one of the features... the media controls for the app.

I have no media controls on my Android phone no matter what I've tried, nor does my wife's iphone. Under what conditions do these controls appear? I seem to vaguely remember having some controls long ago, but not in a long time.

I don't know if they are even something useful, but after seeing them featured as an improvement, I'm curious.

I just got -36.6 last night, and it seems to have the same features as the previous one or two releases. But I haven't figured out one of the features... the media controls for the app.

I have no media controls on my Android phone no matter what I've tried, nor does my wife's iphone. Under what conditions do these controls appear? I seem to vaguely remember having some controls long ago, but not in a long time.

I don't know if they are even something useful, but after seeing them featured as an improvement, I'm curious.
I was able to freak out my wife and her friend last night by remotely turning on the radio from home while they were driving on the highway 5 miles away! 😆

• Funny
Reactions: Individoo and Mengy
This. I would be shocked if connectivity was needed for the actual installation.

I downloaded and updated to 2022.36.5 last night. Download started at about 17:10, it was at 50% when I checked at around 18:00, and still at 50% when I went to bed at 23:00. But that's at home where sentry is off so I wonder if the car going to sleep extends the delay at 50%? Maybe next time I will remember to turn sentry on at home to ensure it doesn't sleep, and see if it's any faster.

I did not time the installation this morning, but it definitely seemed longer than usual. Closer to an hour instead of the usual 30-ish minutes.

My car downloaded 36.6 one day after installing 36.5. The download happened while I was sleeping so I don't know how long that took. The installation took 24 minutes.

I was able to freak out my wife and her friend last night by remotely turning on the radio from home while they were driving on the highway 5 miles away! 😆
Well, I guess I can assume it's not a Bluetooth function. 😏

The only info I could find so far just showed an image, with the controls showing where the charging info shows while it's charging. Do the media controls always show up there for you? Or only while it's driving? If while it's driving, is it always there, or does the infotainment have to be in a certain mode. I have never seen it.

Well, I guess I can assume it's not a Bluetooth function. 😏

The only info I could find so far just showed an image, with the controls showing where the charging info shows while it's charging. Do the media controls always show up there for you? Or only while it's driving? If while it's driving, is it always there, or does the infotainment have to be in a certain mode. I have never seen it.
They only show up when the media player is being used.

I received 2022.36.6. (It's another data point that the "Advanced" software update preference is a no-op or a placebo.) Nice improvements, and no bugs noticed.

What are the remote media controls for other than scaring your spouse with Halloween music?

I tried that and still didn't see it. But I wonder how the previous poster turned on the radio remotely?

Does it work with any source (streaming, bluetooth, etc)? Is there a way to hide it?

I vaguely remember, I think, having some sort of media control long ago, but it's like a dream and I'm not even sure it's true.
Maybe it only shows when someone is in the car. I can't see the controls now that it is parked.

• Informative
Reactions: Marty3SR+
I tried that and still didn't see it. But I wonder how the previous poster turned on the radio remotely?

Does it work with any source (streaming, bluetooth, etc)? Is there a way to hide it?

I vaguely remember, I think, having some sort of media control long ago, but it's like a dream and I'm not even sure it's true.
There were always media controls in the app, right below the picture of the car on the main screen, when someone is driving it. They added details on what is being played, essentially. Not sure if it covers all media sources; I only tried it while I was using Spotify. But again, it's only when the media player is being used. Which, obviously, means that someone needs to be in the car.

• Informative
There were always media controls in the app, right below the picture of the car on the main screen, when someone is driving it. They added details on what is being played, essentially. Not sure if it covers all media sources; I only tried it while I was using Spotify. But again, it's only when the media player is being used. Which, obviously, means that someone needs to be in the car.
Yes, I was able to see that I was turning on my wife's favorite public radio station just now. It made her laugh because, as she said, "at least I know you are alive!"

That's odd then. I tried it first when I was in the car, playing media, and I even put the car into drive. I never see anything.

I haven't had a chance to search the other settings, but perhaps there's a setting in the car's menu that disables/enables this feature. If so, I can believe I would have disabled it as being basically not worthwhile, unless for someone in the back seat to control the media. I almost never have anyone in the back seat, and if so, not for a long enough time to play media and drown out any conversation.

That's odd then. I tried it first when I was in the car, playing media, and I even put the car into drive. I never see anything.

I haven't had a chance to search the other settings, but perhaps there's a setting in the car's menu that disables/enables this feature. If so, I can believe I would have disabled it as being basically not worthwhile, unless for someone in the back seat to control the media. I almost never have anyone in the back seat, and if so, not for a long enough time to play media and drown out any conversation.
I'll have to try it while my wife is driving with her phone as key, and me in the passenger seat. I would bet it turns off for the driver because they shouldn't be messing with their phone whilst driving.

I'll have to try it while my wife is driving with her phone as key, and me in the passenger seat. I would bet it turns off for the driver because they shouldn't be messing with their phone whilst driving.
Never thought about that. I'd be surprised if the developers thought of it, either, but who knows? However, I think it's not a good idea because the driver might have a passenger that would not have the app, but might want to control the media while the driver drives. After all, it's easier for the driver to use the available controls than a phone.

Never thought about that. I'd be surprised if the developers thought of it, either, but who knows? However, I think it's not a good idea because the driver might have a passenger that would not have the app, but might want to control the media while the driver drives. After all, it's easier for the driver to use the available controls than a phone.
True. They are pretty serious about driver attention, however. We won't know until we try!

Been trying to update from 28.2 to 36.6 for over 24 hours now. It seems to be stuck and won't update more than 256kb of data. Tried rebooting, plugging the car into the wall connector, making sure the wi-fi is connected, turning the wi-fi off and forgetting my wi-fi connections, rebooting my router then re-entering my wi-fi credentials. Never had any problems with all the other updates except this one.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Been trying to update from 28.2 to 36.6 for over 24 hours now. It seems to be stuck and won't update more than 256kb of data. Tried rebooting, plugging the car into the wall connector, making sure the wi-fi is connected, turning the wi-fi ff and forgetting my wi-fi connections, then re-entering my wi-fi credentials. Never had any problems with all the other updates except this one.
Any suggestions?
Just to tell you that if this is the first time that's happened to you, you are extraordinarily lucky. It happens often. Give it time. It almost always happens no matter what you do, even if it takes a week. By the way, my car had to go through 36.5 before 36.6, although 36.6 was out. Maybe that has to happen and it will reset.

At any rate, there's no way to force it that's consistent.

Just to tell you that if this is the first time that's happened to you, you are extraordinarily lucky. It happens often. Give it time. It almost always happens no matter what you do, even if it takes a week. By the way, my car had to go through 36.5 before 36.6, although 36.6 was out. Maybe that has to happen and it will reset.

At any rate, there's no way to force it that's consistent.
It jumped directly from .28.2 to .36.6 and skipped everything in between. Still no luck.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz