Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.36 — Official Release Notes and Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bottom line: (1) Is it typical for updates to take 60 minutes or more with a good data connection? (2) Is it typical to stall at 50% progress?

Background: I know there are multiple threads here discussing updates, but I chose to comment here, because others are saying they had a LONG DELAY while the update executed. Some around 50%.

On 2022 1008, while Supercharging during a trip, I got an update available notification. As I recall, the msg suggested it might take 15 or 30 minutes. I told it to proceed. It took 70 minutes, with a very good WiFi connection. I too experienced a long pause around 50% progress.

So I was stuck waiting near a Supercharger stop, delaying my trip much more than expected.

When it was complete, I had 2022.28.200 installed and working as advertised, but wow, did it take a long time.

TLDR; Previously, I had 2022.23.101.2. I was thinking that's what I had on DD, 2022 0921. Teslaupdates tells me that load is dated 0928. I don't remember it installing. If my approval was required, then I must've witnessed it. But, I sure don't remember it, or at least did not notice it was an agonizingly slow 70 minute update! It would've also been done, mist likely, at home with excellent WiFi connection.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Bottom line: (1) Is it typical for updates to take 60 minutes or more with a good data connection? (2) Is it typical to stall at 50% progress?

Background: I know there are multiple threads here discussing updates, but I chose to comment here, because others are saying they had a LONG DELAY while the update executed. Some around 50%.

On 2022 1008, while Supercharging during a trip, I got an update available notification. As I recall, the msg suggested it might take 15 or 30 minutes. I told it to proceed. It took 70 minutes, with a very good WiFi connection. I too experienced a long pause around 50% progress.

So I was stuck waiting near a Supercharger stop, delaying my trip much more than expected.

When it was complete, I had 2022.28.200 installed and working as advertised, but wow, did it take a long time.

TLDR; Previously, I had 2022.23.101.2. I was thinking that's what I had on DD, 2022 0921. Teslaupdates tells me that load is dated 0928. I don't remember it installing. If my approval was required, then I must've witnessed it. But, I sure don't remember it, or at least did not notice it was an agonizingly slow 70 minute update! It would've also been done, mist likely, at home with excellent WiFi connection.
I was under the impression it downloads, at 50% it performs some form of validation and pre checks, and only when it’s happy the right software is in the car does it offer you the install now/schedule option. I wouldn’t have thought it needed any connectivity during the actual update process. Connectivity loss during the install would be a big risk to bricking a car.

I was under the impression it downloads, at 50% it performs some form of validation and pre checks, and only when it’s happy the right software is in the car does it offer you the install now/schedule option. I wouldn’t have thought it needed any connectivity during the actual update process. Connectivity loss during the install would be a big risk to bricking a car.
People say that, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything on my car when it gets stuck at 50%. The car would go into sleep/standby from inactivity and I have to wake it back up. I've had that happen a few times now. I don't remember updates doing that, getting stuck at 50%, last year or early this year.

Reactions: cfl246tho
Just a single data point... I'm on 2022.36.5 as of today. That release installed on 10/22/2022. No delay in downloading or installing. Just the typical 20-25 minutes that I've seen on every one of the 21 software updates I've had since picking up the car last March.

My internet at my car is okay, but not great (the car is parked outside a shed, over a hundred feet from my house; I had to install a WiFi network extender in the shed to amplify the router signal from my house).

I do have software updates set to ADVANCED in my car, if that makes a difference.

2022.36.5 became available to us last night. Initiated the download immediately. That went along fine, quickly "stalled" at 50% for maybe an hour then completed. Installation took maybe 30 minutes or less after that.

I have had the 50% hold happen 6 or seven times since June, that I recall. Good wired WIFI next to the car. Starlink internet. Minutes to hours.

The 50% pause is so common, and it is always 50%, I think it must mean something is intentionally happening. But I can't be sure what. And it doesn't seem to be consistently the same time length so whatever it is doesn't always always seem to require the same processing time.

I coulda declined the update, and now I know better than to do an update on the road
Yeah, I always do my updates in the evening or when I know that I don't need to go anywhere for a while. Early on, I also did a reboot immediately after the update was completed, based on what some others had told me. But I don't bother now, I just go and check everything after the update completes. The update to 36.6 that I got yesterday took the normal amount of time as any other and seems to be working fine.

Updated to 36.6 yesterday and now the front passenger window auto up/down does not work and the trunk will not open during the lightshow. One step forward, two steps back.:rolleyes:
That's definitely not correct. Need to open a service request about that, as you were probably already planning to do. I got not no problems with 36.6. FWIW, I have M3LR

Went out to the garage this morning to try your suggestion. Tested again before recalibrating, and now it is working normally⁉️ Thanks Elon!
For the last 6 months or so, it seems like full functionality after an update can take a few days to restore. Various random stuff will fail to work at first, but comes back a while later.

Like how the screen takes a minute to regenerate fully after updates, especially the car preview being blank for a few seconds, then comes back.

Line blowing up a new kid's floatie toy, the air takes a while to get to the tail and the ears of the dinosaur, but eventually fills up?

This. I would be shocked if connectivity was needed for the actual installation.

I downloaded and updated to 2022.36.5 last night. Download started at about 17:10, it was at 50% when I checked at around 18:00, and still at 50% when I went to bed at 23:00. But that's at home where sentry is off so I wonder if the car going to sleep extends the delay at 50%? Maybe next time I will remember to turn sentry on at home to ensure it doesn't sleep, and see if it's any faster.

I did not time the installation this morning, but it definitely seemed longer than usual. Closer to an hour instead of the usual 30-ish minutes.

This. I would be shocked if connectivity was needed for the actual installation.

I downloaded and updated to 2022.36.5 last night. Download started at about 17:10, it was at 50% when I checked at around 18:00, and still at 50% when I went to bed at 23:00. But that's at home where sentry is off so I wonder if the car going to sleep extends the delay at 50%? Maybe next time I will remember to turn sentry on at home to ensure it doesn't sleep, and see if it's any faster.

I did not time the installation this morning, but it definitely seemed longer than usual. Closer to an hour instead of the usual 30-ish minutes.
Connectivity is only needed for download. And the act of downloading and/or installation should keep the car from going to sleep until it has completed, so it wouldn't be stuck at 50% because the car went to sleep. Sometimes they do hang up, and sometimes a reboot will free it up and cancel it so it can restart. I've also noticed that it might show as 50% in the app, but is really complete in the car.

...And the act of downloading and/or installation should keep the car from going to sleep until it has completed, so it wouldn't be stuck at 50% because the car went to sleep.
Yep, and that's what I thought as well except that when downloading a recent update my car did fall asleep, I saw it on TeslaFi. I even posted about it as I thought it was the main reason why it has been taking hours or days to download for many people. It might not be the reason for the slowness for most people but it seems to have affected me at least.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yep, and that's what I thought as well except that when downloading a recent update my car did fall asleep, I saw it on TeslaFi. I even posted about it as I thought it was the main reason why it has been taking hours or days to download for many people. It might not be the reason for the slowness for most people but it seems to have affected me at least.
Perhaps it's the reverse - that the download paused long enough for the car to go to sleep...