Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model x plaid. Huge headache every time i go full throttle. plaid headache

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 model x plaid. Huge headache every time i go full throttle. I just got this car for about 1 month and its crazy how fast this car is. I have always driven 500-600hp sport cars and nothing compares to this car. Every time i go full throttle for more than 2 seconds i literally get a huge headace sometimes for up to many hours after. Durning the pull i can literally fell somewhat close to passing out. Does anyone else have this issue? It happens every time and is actually quite frusting. i have driven turbo 911 and Ferrari's and none of then did that too me. hopefully it goes away with time.

2022 model x plaid. Huge headache every time i go full throttle. I just got this car for about 1 month and its crazy how fast this car is. I have always driven 500-600hp sport cars and nothing compares to this car. Every time i go full throttle for more than 2 seconds i literally get a huge headace sometimes for up to many hours after. Durning the pull i can literally fell somewhat close to passing out. Does anyone else have this issue? It happens every time and is actually quite frusting. i have driven turbo 911 and Ferrari's and none of then did that too me. hopefully it goes away with time.
Maybe you should…stop doing that?

What you’re describing sounds like G-lock but you’re not exactly in a fighter jet. Maybe talk with your doctor.

While the idea of acceleration making one sick is pretty awesome, ~1g of forward acceleration shouldn’t quite have this effect without a notable health caveat.

One thing that comes to mind is to set the seat back more vertical. In theory, this would reduce the tendency for blood to rush to your head (which may be contributing to the headaches) and will align the forces acting on your internals more straight back rather than somewhat “up” your body.

Thanks for the info. But seriously does anyone else have this issue? I’m a healthy 38 year old. I know this car is crazy fast and I would love to actually enjoy the car but it literally gets me sick and gives me a headache everything I go wide open throttle. This only happens in plaid mode and only from 20mph to about 80mph and only when the battery is above 70%. Doing freeway pulls I’m ok and once the charge is under 70 or 60% the car looses enough power than it stops giving me a headache. I think I need to keep doing little pulls like this every day and hopefully my body gets use to it.

Thanks for the info. But seriously does anyone else have this issue? I’m a healthy 38 year old. I know this car is crazy fast and I would love to actually enjoy the car but it literally gets me sick and gives me a headache everything I go wide open throttle. This only happens in plaid mode and only from 20mph to about 80mph and only when the battery is above 70%. Doing freeway pulls I’m ok and once the charge is under 70 or 60% the car looses enough power than it stops giving me a headache. I think I need to keep doing little pulls like this every day and hopefully my body gets use to it.
No. See post #2 and #3.

Go see your doctor.

Do you drink a lot?

I was hung over and road the Powder Keg rollercoaster in Silver Dollar City. It does 0-53mph in 2.8s and man, it was jarring since I wasn't in control.

I have no problem with my Model 3 Performance though. I'm a bit concerned, ngl, if my body can take the Plaid.

I had the same experience first time I test drove a regular old P85D. Decades on sport bikes that could hit 60 in 3 seconds or slightly less. Then I drove a P85D and had a headache for 4 hours. Second test drive left me with the same headache for only 30 minutes. No headache after taking delivery. Then I got the L upgrade and had maybe a 10 minute headache. Later, not only no headache but you get so used to the acceleration you wonder if it’s till pulling as hard…but it was as proven by instrumented runs.

Fast forward to the MXP. Headache for air full hour after the first 0-60 run with launch mode. Have only done it once since the MXP has been at Tesla for nearly it’s entire life having post delivery issues fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
I’ve had sports cars and raced for many years without issues and first few weeks in M3P and kept getting vertigo as well when merging into traffic- I think it was also related to the strong regen. Our body/mind didn’t get what they expected from the right foot and related performance. Once those calibrate you will feel better. I’ve been driving exclusively electric for 4 years and the problem never came back. I’m super careful/smooth with the family similar to Chill mode. You may want to try that for awhile then step it up.

Reactions: henderrj
I've randomly had the same issue over the years as my cars have gotten faster and faster...200HP NOS and geared Suzuki streetbike, 500HP turbo K swapped Toyota MR2, 600HP Ford Harley Davidson F150 come to mind at first. I had noticeable neck pain to the point of where I found myself adjusting the rear upper portion of the seat forward and/or forcing myself to lay my head on the headrest to keep me stable in the same way I had to lean forward on the bike to not wheelie it everytime.

The first time I drove an S P100D I had launched a few times from a light and didn't really think anything of it...until I tried instigating my first street race. I made the mistake of looking sideways to see if he'd go...instant car sickness. Last time I'd ever made myself car sick was about 10yrs earlier in Dubai at Yas Marina and pushing an Aston Martin harder then everyone else there, rounded a sweeping LH 180* and boom...same sickness. I own an X P100D now, slightly less violent than the S P100D due to curbweight and all, but I've still learned I just need to lay my head back.

While I can't touch your Plaid, I can only suggest the same things...keep doing it, your body will get used to it, don't look sideways and lay your head against the headrest so you're neck muscles aren't trying to hold all that weight. That's all I can suggest since it worked for me. If all else fails, I've got an X P100D we can trade straight across if you're desperate for a solution ;-)

I have had my 2022 model x plaid for 6 months now with 8,000 miles on it and it still gets my car sick when I got wide open throttle. This car is just crazy fast. But I notice it will only give me a headache If I start to go wide open throttle at 60 mph or under. If I punch it at freeway speeds I’m ok and by body can take it. And it must be above 60% charged. Under 60 or 50% charge it’s still crazy fast but it’s noticeable less powerful thus no headaches at under 60%charge.

such a crazy problem to have...

• Informative
Reactions: polyphonic54
I have had my 2022 model x plaid for 6 months now with 8,000 miles on it and it still gets my car sick when I got wide open throttle. This car is just crazy fast. But I notice it will only give me a headache If I start to go wide open throttle at 60 mph or under. If I punch it at freeway speeds I’m ok and by body can take it. And it must be above 60% charged. Under 60 or 50% charge it’s still crazy fast but it’s noticeable less powerful thus no headaches at under 60%charge.

such a crazy problem to have...
1st world country problems we have.

I find the seats don’t help they are very rough and uncomfortable . If they were softer and more padded I think acceleration will be better . I just drove in my brother in laws bmw electric he floored it and it was amazing but I was comfortable in my seat at same time

My motorcycles do the same thing...all the way to tunnel vision (blacking out) - scary *sugar* (sold them recently, with age comes wisdom). No headaches, however.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer