Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they said the CPU will almost definitely be an upgrade option down the road. The battery is replaceable too. Data over USB is not.

MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit cost $2500 when it was available... that is not chump change and probably not worth it for the vast majority of people.

The battery is replaceable but it won't be ideal as the factory Li-ion battery has a data connection for the BMS which the older models with SLA batteries do not have. You can use a 3rd party Li-ion with a built in BMS like the Ohmu brand but those are expensive ($400+) and can have issues after software updates.

The 2022 USB-C ports without data can be retrofitted with the older part that has data enabled... there are people on this thread (go back a couple of pages) who are doing it right now.

Reactions: tm1v2 and MP3Mike
According to the manual in my MY (delivered Jan. 8) as of November 2021, data capability of the USB C ports was discontinued. Since my phone (A Pixel 3) is quite full and won't take a microSD card, I found that I can use a USB OTG drive to give me the storage I need. In order to utilize this and still take advantage of wireless charging, I had to buy a right angle USB C to USB A adapter (if you have a USB drive with a USB C plug, you might need a right angle USB C to USB C adapter) and place the phone with the USB port at the top. Unfortunately, the screen won't rotate that far, but everything else seems to work so far. When you plug the USB drive in select Files by Google to Explore the drive. Solid Explorer only allows you to play one file at a time, and Android doesn't allow media players to access a USB drive. This may not work with larger phones - the Pixel 3 is a 5.5 in display.

For those of you frustrated by the lack of data capability in your model 3 or Y, a solution has arrived.

Using a link found in this thread, I was alerted about a replacement data module on Ali express. I corresponded with the company in China, and although they were able to demonstrate it’s successful implementation on a MIC model Y, they could not assure me it would work in a Fremont assembled American made unit. Seemed too risky for me to fork over $160 for the experiment.

I next corresponded with Abstract Ocean, a well-regarded American third party after market Tesla reseller. I was able to reach the CEO, Pete, who took an interest in the product, ordered it from one of his suppliers in China, and tested it on his data enabled Tesla. It worked. He then reached out to me, sent me the parts and asked me to install it in my neutered 2022 Model Y. I am happy to report it works successfully and there was an orphaned and functioning data cable in my console.

1643424967561.jpeg

Here is the module
1643425026301.jpeg

This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.
D3320295-2872-40A7-AA12-123CCC74E411.jpeg
here is the orphaned cable.
9A1AA8F5-D3E3-48F9-B53F-1232E3F00726.jpeg

new module installed
27751D14-DC96-4E12-B9A8-DC74E2F80F80.jpeg

Old and new module side by side. Note addition of data port.

3E152CB5-928F-409A-8240-7E93EF10F1D4.jpeg

Here are the two cables plugged in before I reattached it to the console panel wall.

I was able to pop the console wall back in place and it is undetectable.

usb music works. Wireless gaming with a dongle or wired gaming works.

here is a link to purchase from Abstract Ocean. Send your thanks to Pete for making this happen! He is sourcing modules from China and has established a waiting list. Not sure about price yet, but he guesses it will be in the $130 range, although he’s going to start by discounting them for less to the early ordering customers.

USB-C Upgrade Module

Be aware that Tesla could inactivate this cable via software if they wish. Also, this doesn’t restore Sonic or Cuphead. That appears to be VIN enabled. We need to figure out how to get this enabled too. Someone please figure this out.

I’m somewhat good with my hands, so not easily intimidated. However, I would rate this install as slightly harder than easy, but less than difficult. As long as you are patient, you can do this.

Attachments

• 5BCD6049-B15A-4210-BC9C-6AE672A3561B.jpeg
    5BCD6049-B15A-4210-BC9C-6AE672A3561B.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 73121A3A-D407-4ACF-8D9F-DD5A6D70DB51.jpeg
    73121A3A-D407-4ACF-8D9F-DD5A6D70DB51.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 1643425425004.jpeg
    1643425425004.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 116
For those of you frustrated by the lack of data capability in your model 3 or Y, a solution has arrived.

Using a link found in this thread, I was alerted about a replacement data module on Ali express. I corresponded with the company in China, and although they were able to demonstrate it’s successful implementation on a MIC model Y, they could not assure me it would work in a Fremont assembled American made unit. Seemed too risky for me to fork over $160 for the experiment.

I next corresponded with Abstract Ocean, a well-regarded American third party after market Tesla reseller. I was able to reach the CEO, Pete, who took an interest in the product, ordered it from one of his suppliers in China, and tested it on his data enabled Tesla. It worked. He then reached out to me, sent me the parts and asked me to install it in my neutered 2022 Model Y. I am happy to report it works successfully and there was an orphaned and functioning data cable in my console.

View attachment 761569
Here is the module
View attachment 761570
This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.View attachment 761581here is the orphaned cable.View attachment 761582

new module installed
View attachment 761589

View attachment 761590
Here are the two cables plugged in before I reattached it to the console panel wall.

here is a link to purchase from Abstract Ocean. Send your thanks to Pete for making this happen! He is sourcing modules from China and has established a waiting list. Not sure about price yet, but he guesses it will be in the $130 range, although he’s going to start by discounting them for less to the early ordering customers.

USB-C Upgrade Module

Be aware that Tesla could inactivate this cable via software if they wish. Also, this doesn’t restore Sonic or Cuphead. That appears to be VIN enabled. We need to figure out how to get this enabled too. Someone please figure this out.

I’m somewhat good with my hands, so not easily intimidated. However, I would rate this install as slightly harder than easy, but less than difficult. As long as you are patient, you can do this.

Thank you for all the testing, this is ridiculous that Tesla took this part out yet it's still being made... It's like them removing lumbar support and people having to hack to put it back in.

View attachment 761569
Here is the module
View attachment 761570
This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.View attachment 761581here is the orphaned cable.View attachment 761582

new module installed
View attachment 761589

View attachment 761590

USB-C Upgrade Module

This is amazing. Thank you for testing and confirming!

Thank you for all the testing, this is ridiculous that Tesla took this part out yet it's still being made... It's like them removing lumbar support and people having to hack to put it back in.
Note, as mentioned upthread, this is not an OEM part. The sellers don't say it is, and there are no labels on it that suggest an OEM part. It's fully a third party part. As mentioned up thread by others, anyone that has worked in large manufacturer supply chains know they can't just buy any random third party part and throw it in.

Reactions: tm1v2
It is a third party non-tesla part just like many third party accessories that are commonly used by consumers. From the CPU’s perspective it is an just another attached usb hub.

However, I certainly agree that any non-Tesla part must be carefully scrutinized for potential software or hardware conflicts.
Right, I'm not saying any different. But I've seen multiple times people suggesting that somehow because this part exists, that Tesla has zero reason to leave the data ports out, as they can just buy this part and throw it in the car. But that's just not how parts supply chains work.

Even something as simple as the USB drive Tesla provides, if the supplier ran out, Tesla won't just be going out to the store and throwing in a random USB drive to include with the car, even though there literally are thousands of other options.

Lol, I figured someone would use that as an example, but that's obviously an outlier, not what is typically done. Plus a piece of plastic is not comparable to an electronic item in terms of the things that can go wrong.
Agreed.

I maintain USB data being taken out is not a part shortage issue at all but a conscious choice to restrict data access to the computer. (either for security reasons or to guarantee performance characteristics)

I personally doubt it will ever come back.

Reactions: brad787 and jcanoe
Agreed.

I maintain USB data being taken out is not a part shortage issue at all but a conscious choice to restrict data access to the computer. (either for security reasons or to guarantee performance characteristics)

I personally doubt it will ever come back.
Perhaps the next step is to remove the USB ports entirely, as was done with the door pocket lights. Disconnected for a group of cars with orphaned parts, then removed entirely later. I'm also curious whether the sentry USB drive will be phased out soon, with footage viewed via the app.

Assuming Bluetooth functionality for game controllers will be implemented. It's all speculative.