Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@famoussasjohn , interesting we both have the same issue around the same time. When I had my TPARTs module, I'd leave my USB stick plugged in all the time even if I was not using it. This time around, I'm plugging it in when I use it.

So after I replaced my busted T-Parts module with my spare Tesla OEM module, I thought it might be good to have another backup module. I figured the Tesla OEM module might be made better than the third party modules so I decided to buy a module from Tesla like I did the year prior. Last year I ordered it & picked up the module at the parts desk. Easy. Well this year was totally different in a bad way too.
This thread details my experience last week (9/2023) at a California Service Center.
That’s tough, I’m hoping they dont give me grief when I go this Saturday. I’m doing the auto trunk retrofit and tacked this on due to the Tparts part no longer working 100%. Oddly I have to do a forced reboot for it to pop up with the Samsung T7 drive. Unplugging and waiting a few minutes does nothing unfortunately. I do still have the original hub so I might consider swapping it out and having them either install it just so they don’t see I installed a 3rd party adapter.

So far they seem to be accommodating the request and advised it was in stock and added it to my total estimate so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpeg
    IMG_0044.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 112
I have the exact same issue. Car sleeps and no more data from the TParts module. It takes several power offs or screen reboots to get it to work again - and sometimes it just won't work again. Not sure what to do.

I have the exact same issue. Car sleeps and no more data from the TParts module. It takes several power offs or screen reboots to get it to work again - and sometimes it just won't work again. Not sure what to do.
In USA, seems Tesla won’t sell the part over the counter anymore. They sold it to me over the counter in 2022 but in 2023 they insisted on installing it but in my case installed for free since they had initially told me I could pick it up at the counter. Reason given for no longer offering over the counter was the part was labeled as restricted which meant it had something proprietary in it. Odd for such a trivial piece of electronics. Total price is around $135. The part was around $22 , yup the install is a lot considering how easy it is but I guess they bill for an hour of mechanic time 🤷‍♂️. You could try a new third party module, maybe the t-parts modules go bad easily. I have noticed my usb drive felt warm even if I do not use it. Perhaps to ensure longevity of third party usb modules, unplug devices if they won’t be used for a while 🤷‍♂️.

In USA, seems Tesla won’t sell the part over the counter anymore. They sold it to me over the counter in 2022 but in 2023 they insisted on installing it but in my case installed for free since they had initially told me I could pick it up at the counter. Reason given for no longer offering over the counter was the part was labeled as restricted which meant it had something proprietary in it. Odd for such a trivial piece of electronics. Total price is around $135. The part was around $22 , yup the install is a lot considering how easy it is but I guess they bill for an hour of mechanic time 🤷‍♂️. You could try a new third party module, maybe the t-parts modules go bad easily. I have noticed my usb drive felt warm even if I do not use it. Perhaps to ensure longevity of third party usb modules, unplug devices if they won’t be used for a while 🤷‍♂️.
They probably changed it because there was a rush of people ordering them when the stock were intended to be for people that had the option originally and had actually broken modules (not for people wanting to add data to an otherwise working module).

In USA, seems Tesla won’t sell the part over the counter anymore. They sold it to me over the counter in 2022 but in 2023 they insisted on installing it but in my case installed for free since they had initially told me I could pick it up at the counter. Reason given for no longer offering over the counter was the part was labeled as restricted which meant it had something proprietary in it.
It seems like the one people would need, 1522264-00-B, is currently listed as "Over The Counter". Or is that not the correct one?

1701809752655.png

Only the mid-term. non-data, one is listed as Tesla Only. (Quite the weird date ranges there.)

1701809806059.png

It seems like the one people would need, 1522264-00-B, is currently listed as "Over The Counter". Or is that not the correct one?

View attachment 996704

Only the mid-term. non-data, one is listed as Tesla Only. (Quite the weird date ranges there.)

View attachment 996705
The correct part is: 1755200-00-B, at least that's the one I installed. I believe 1522264-00-B is for old center console.

Does anyone know if they removed the spare USB port behind the glovebox on the 2023 Model Y? I'm looking and I can't find the Mini USB port to plug into.

Edit: Nevermind that question. Went back a few pages and found out it's because my MY 23 has a Ryzen processor, and doesn't have the spare port.

I guess my only option is to send it back and complain that this isn't made known on the seller's web page before purchasing.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they removed the spare USB port behind the glovebox on the 2023 Model Y? I'm looking and I can't find the Mini USB port to plug into.

Edit: Nevermind that question. Went back a few pages and found out it's because my MY 23 has a Ryzen processor, and doesn't have the spare port.

I guess my only option is to send it back and complain that this isn't made known on the seller's web page before purchasing.
I have a Ryzen and had this port. Are you on HW4.0 or 3.0?

View attachment 996704

View attachment 996705
Part numbers seem to be all over the place, my original one (non-data) was 1656787-30-A, and I replaced that with a TPARTS data enable one from Amazon last year that now had the USB-C ports fail (no power or data). Contacted the SC and ordered 1755200-00-B for USD 25 which they agreed to bring over with mobile service since I had it scheduled for another issue. The technician delivered 152264-00-B instead, which has both a USB-A and USB-C port with data but the cable connections are on the opposite side.

1707415976282.png

The part catalog currently shows 1755200-00-B as unrestricted so not sure if it was a mix-up or not. I'm tempted to install the one with USB-A but don't want to go cutting the console cover to make it fit. Very strange indeed. Reaching out again to the SC to get the right part (as it's what is actually shown in my invoice, not what the tech brought).

IMG_5341.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: uberfunk
Sad day. I suspect latest Tesla firmware has changed usb device detection in cars built with power only modules. My retrofitted fairly new OEM data & power usb module stopped detecting data devices recently after a Tesla firmware update. It will occasionally detect them but i do get errors on my alert about usb I/o issues. I have tried multiple devices usb sticks and game controllers. Anyone else’s stop working after recent Tesla firmware update? I rebooted & did deep sleep, cleared browser cache. Reformatted devices.

I suspect latest Tesla firmware has changed usb device detection in cars built with power only modules. My retrofitted fairly new OEM data & power usb module stopped detecting data devices recently after a Tesla firmware update.
Do you have the OEM part for the USB data input in the center console, or a third-party part? I had heard of issues with the third-party parts but not OEM yet. I have the OEM part purchased from Tesla (though my 2023 LR6 Y did not come with it) and last used USB game sticks a few weeks ago without issue. I guess I'll have to check again.

Do you have the OEM part for the USB data input in the center console, or a third-party part? I had heard of issues with the third-party parts but not OEM yet. I have the OEM part purchased from Tesla (though my 2023 LR6 Y did not come with it) and last used USB game sticks a few weeks ago without issue. I guess I'll have to check again.
I have oem part, installed by Tesla about 4 months ago. It worked fine until a few weeks ago when our cars got many updates. Hoping it is a bug they fix rather than Tesla software engineer assuming all cars built after 11/2021 don’t need the code relating to managing the second usb port to be enabled. We know Tesla likes to optimize and some comp sci person could say look we saved 4 cpu cycles which could help FSD by turning off that code in these cars. I’m a software engineer so I could see that point.