Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have oem part, installed by Tesla about 4 months ago. It worked fine until a few weeks ago when our cars got many updates. Hoping it is a bug they fix rather than Tesla software engineer assuming all cars built after 11/2021 don’t need the code relating to managing the second usb port to be enabled. We know Tesla likes to optimize and some comp sci person could say look we saved 4 cpu cycles which could help FSD by turning off that code in these cars. I’m a software engineer so I could see that point.
Tesla said they are working on trying to reduce Sentry power consumption in the coming updates, it could be possible they ended up looking for power savings elsewhere too.

Sad day. I suspect latest Tesla firmware has changed usb device detection in cars built with power only modules. My retrofitted fairly new OEM data & power usb module stopped detecting data devices recently after a Tesla firmware update. It will occasionally detect them but i do get errors on my alert about usb I/o issues. I have tried multiple devices usb sticks and game controllers. Anyone else’s stop working after recent Tesla firmware update? I rebooted & did deep sleep, cleared browser cache. Reformatted devices.
I have a 2024 Austin built MYLR. I recently purchased a USB hub for the glove compartment and it was working fine with both Sentry and USB music devices plugged in. But now, the music USB is no longer being displayed under the streaming/sound options. I also rebooted the car with no change. I removed the USB hub and plugged just the music USB into the glovebox USB port and it's still no longer recognized.

Why would Tesla do this? It was bad enough losing USB data in the center console but now the glovebox too?

I'm tech oriented. Your suggestion was the first scenario I considered. both of my usb sticks work in my computer right now for playing back the music media. Have not added new media in ages either. Same old songs. Formatted them freshly too. ext32 filesystem since they are 128GB.
Might be something broken with the car then and warrants a service appointment. Literally can't use sentry mode or dashcam without the USB, so it seems highly unlikely Tesla would deliberately disable that one

Good point.

I removed the USB stick and plugged it into a PC. It was somehow corrupted. I was able to repair it, copy back my music files, and put it back in the glovebox hub with the Sentry drive. Now the music is working.

So my mistake. Hopefully it will keep working.
It’s like people are not reading the past many pages of this thread. In short, this thread is about those of us who have modified their cars to have data capable usb-c ports. Like hardware 3 cars made in 11/2021. After that date Tesla changed the module so it only supported power output.

Sad day. I suspect latest Tesla firmware has changed usb device detection in cars built with power only modules. My retrofitted fairly new OEM data & power usb module stopped detecting data devices recently after a Tesla firmware update. It will occasionally detect them but i do get errors on my alert about usb I/o issues. I have tried multiple devices usb sticks and game controllers. Anyone else’s stop working after recent Tesla firmware update? I rebooted & did deep sleep, cleared browser cache. Reformatted devices.
I solved my issue kinda. In summary, like many in this thread, my car was retrofitted with center storage area usb module (Tesla oem part installed by Tesla in my case) which supports data & power since hardware 3 cars built after 11/2021 have power only modules. Hardware 4 cars are out of luck, no retrofit possible.

So now that we have context, here is what I noticed after updating to car firmware 2024.2.7 . My car no longer recognizes usb-c devices. However, if I plug a usb-a device in to the usb-c port via a data capable usb adapter, the car sees the device. I also have a usb bridge connected to my glovebox usb-a, this bridge has a usb-c slot and usb-c devices plugged in to the bridge are ignored.

Basically, seems like latest car firmware is ignoring usb-c devices.

Please remember, Tesla can apply software behaviors based on car config & they know hw3 cars built after 11/2021 are not supposed to detect usb-c since the car came with a single usb-a data capable port. It will be interesting to see if others who have the retrofits & latest car software also notice issues with usb-c devices. Good luck to all.

I solved my issue kinda. In summary, like many in this thread, my car was retrofitted with center storage area usb module (Tesla oem part installed by Tesla in my case) which supports data & power since hardware 3 cars built after 11/2021 have power only modules. Hardware 4 cars are out of luck, no retrofit possible.

So now that we have context, here is what I noticed after updating to car firmware 2024.2.7 . My car no longer recognizes usb-c devices. However, if I plug a usb-a device in to the usb-c port via a data capable usb adapter, the car sees the device. I also have a usb bridge connected to my glovebox usb-a, this bridge has a usb-c slot and usb-c devices plugged in to the bridge are ignored.

Basically, seems like latest car firmware is ignoring usb-c devices.

Please remember, Tesla can apply software behaviors based on car config & they know hw3 cars built after 11/2021 are not supposed to detect usb-c since the car came with a single usb-a data capable port. It will be interesting to see if others who have the retrofits & latest car software also notice issues with usb-c devices. Good luck to all.
Is that USB-A 3.0 or 2.0? I’m curious how that would be different, seeing as the usb c center console is on 2.0 so it should only be using the same pins. That’s very confusing if it can honestly tell the difference. Is it possible that it’s trying to use USB PD?

Is that USB-A 3.0 or 2.0? I’m curious how that would be different, seeing as the usb c center console is on 2.0 so it should only be using the same pins. That’s very confusing if it can honestly tell the difference. Is it possible that it’s trying to use USB PD?
Not sure what it uses. I just recall a power cable goes to the module and separate data cable. 2024.2.7.1 was detected today so I'm hoping it has a fix. I kinda suspected at one point our retrofits might get affected kinda like the people who retrofitted their car with passenger lumbar support hardware only to find Tesla had already disabled the feature in software so they had no way to control the lumbar via touch screen.

Still working fine for me on latest 2024.2.7

Reactions: ElectricAnt54

Attachments

• Tesla USB IMG_0508.jpg
    Tesla USB IMG_0508.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Well today usb-c devices are again working with my retrofitted center storage usb module which supports data & power. No clue why it started working again but grateful. Maybe next time I’ll wait 5 days to see if issue magically resolves.

I'm on 24.2.7 with a '23 LR7 and I had retrofitted the oem module and a data cable and when I went to try and use my USB wireless game controllers today they were not recognized. I did not try a full reboot. I had to move my usb-c hub and add a usb-c_to_A adapter and then plug in my sentry USB to that in the glovebox.

Did anyone make a bug report or service request to Tesla about this issue?