Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings & Salutations,

I received my 2022 Tesla MYP on December 8, 2021. Recently discovered that USB-A in glovebox is the only data port. I double-checked owners manual which clearly states data ports in center console. I initially thought I had issues with several usb hubs I purchased and had to return as defective. I was unable to run Tesla USB from center console via usbc to usb-a adapter but it was receiving power.
I opened a ticket with service and told the behavior of the USB ports is normal on recently built vehicles and closed my service appointment. Quick Tesla Motors club search also looks like this started aroud July but but owners manual still not updated.
I've asked to be provided more information since I'm using USB-A as primary dashcam 1tb portable drive. Concerend with possible corruption if I'm sharing usb-a port with boombox, music drive, game controller (when charging).
Anyone experiensing issues with sharing USB-A devices plus dashcam drive? Is there a way to update the center console ports?

Thank you in advance
Hi Every TMC members,

QUICK UPDATES HERE: Our Intel Atom Data Module has been back in stock today!!! And all Intel Atom orders have been shipped today!

The AMD version is still on the way to our warehouse! You may place the order now and we will ship your order once we have it on hand!

The price was adjusted as the original price is for customer who trust us for the backorders! The shipping and chip costs also raised dramatically in recent month, so we have to adjust our price accordingly.

Thank you for the trust to everyone placed backorder with us! We will be here serve the community and please let us know any questions you have!

TPARTS

Received mine, and completed my install last night. Took about 15 minutes.

As everyone has said, the most difficult part is removing the compartment cover that houses the USB hub. Pulling straightforward is the right direction, and there are 5 clips -- 2 on the bottom and 3 on top. The clip itself is permanently mounted in the car, and the panel just has plastic tabs that stick straight out and into the clips. Once the bottom was popped out, I used trim removal tool to wedge the top out of the clips to free the trim piece completely for the project. Once done I popped it all back together and as it clicked in thought to myself "maybe I should have tested it first before reassembling". :eek:

Data works, tested using Logitech USB controller.

Last edited:
Received mine, and completed my install last night. Took about 15 minutes.

As everyone has said, the most difficult part is removing the compartment cover that houses the USB hub. Pulling straightforward is the right direction, and there are 5 clips -- 2 on the bottom and 3 on top. The clip itself is permanently mounted in the car, and the panel just has plastic tabs that stick straight out and into the clips. Once the bottom was popped out, I used trim removal tool to wedge the top out of the clips to free the trim piece completely for the project. Once done I popped it all back together and as it clicked in thought to myself "maybe I should have tested it first before reassembling". :eek:

Data works, tested using Logitech USB controller.
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your review on our product! Very glad to hear our product helps you get the data function back!

TPARTS

Got my intel data module in from TParts and installed it about an hour ago. The cover was very hard to get off. I bent the hell out of the tool that they supply and even took some of the fabric off from pulling and slipping out so much. I also can't get it to sit fully flush going back in but I'm sure I will be able to if I keep fussing with it. It works for my xbox controller. the tesla usb that came with the car and also a ssd that i have over 150GB of music on. But I can't seem to get my phone to transfer data, I'm sure it's some option in the phone I have to change (galaxy s22 ultra). Besides the tool being so flimsy and hurting the hell outta my fingers trying to pull it out its a good product.

Got my intel data module in from TParts and installed it about an hour ago. The cover was very hard to get off. I bent the hell out of the tool that they supply and even took some of the fabric off from pulling and slipping out so much. I also can't get it to sit fully flush going back in but I'm sure I will be able to if I keep fussing with it. It works for my xbox controller. the tesla usb that came with the car and also a ssd that i have over 150GB of music on. But I can't seem to get my phone to transfer data, I'm sure it's some option in the phone I have to change (galaxy s22 ultra). Besides the tool being so flimsy and hurting the hell outta my fingers trying to pull it out its a good product.
After connecting your phone via USB you usually have to wake up your phone and bring up the main screen where you need to answer a question to give it permission to share data with the Tesla. But maybe you already did that.

Reactions: TESPLUS and WhiteWi
Thank you for your valuable feedbacks! We will be working on improve our tool kits for an easier installation!

TPARTS

I very much want to add front USB ports which support data in to my MYP 2022 (early 12/2021 build) However, I wonder what is the likely hood Tesla might disable data transmission through the unconnected data cables we currently have which plug in to the updated USB module or even an OEM module. I assume Our cars build specification says we shouldn’t have data capable front usb-c ports and a future update could somehow tell the motherboard to totally ignore the data cables the TParts & even OEM module utilize in our builds. From a security standpoint I’d block unneeded openings to a system. We already saw a case where people added passenger lumbar modules since tesla stopped including them. About 1 month later an update removed the ability to adjust the added lumbar supports. Don’t recall if the option also vanished from the UI. Anyone know the likely hood of this happening in the case of the usb modules with data support? I’m kinda upset tesla removed this handy feature without mentioning it. Hope they don’t hinder the retrofits.

I very much want to add front USB ports which support data in to my MYP 2022 (early 12/2021 build) However, I wonder what is the likely hood Tesla might disable data transmission through the unconnected data cables we currently have which plug in to the updated USB module or even an OEM module. I assume Our cars build specification says we shouldn’t have data capable front usb-c ports and a future update could somehow tell the motherboard to totally ignore the data cables the TParts & even OEM module utilize in our builds. From a security standpoint I’d block unneeded openings to a system. We already saw a case where people added passenger lumbar modules since tesla stopped including them. About 1 month later an update removed the ability to adjust the added lumbar supports. Don’t recall if the option also vanished from the UI. Anyone know the likely hood of this happening in the case of the usb modules with data support? I’m kinda upset tesla removed this handy feature without mentioning it. Hope they don’t hinder the retrofits.
That would be a bummer. I'm one of the silly few that did the lumbar support retrofit. I'm also waiting for my TParts USB module.

There is no way to adjust lumbar from the UI (it can only be adjusted by the side buttons). The passenger seat where the lumbar control was removed isn't even connected to the computer (that is why profiles don't save the seat settings). And for the lumbar control specifically, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't even save to the driver profile (speculation is the controller is open loop so no way to sense where the position is).

Do you have a link to a source for your later claim?

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
There is no way to adjust lumbar from the UI (it can only be adjusted by the side buttons). The passenger seat where the lumbar control was removed isn't even connected to the computer (that is why profiles don't save the seat settings). And for the lumbar control specifically, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't even save to the driver profile (speculation is the controller is open loop so no way to sense where the position is).

Do you have a link to a source for your later claim?
Lumbar retrofit being disabled by software update.

Lumbar retrofit being disabled by software update.
I stand corrected then. It's unusual that an update would affect it given there is no way for the infotainment computer to adjust it nor save it to a profile (I would love to have the feature). I guess there may be a different computer it is connected to that the software updates affect.

Just because there is no UI doesn't mean that the infotainment computer can't adjust it...

For example on the Model S&X, at least the ones that have an adjustable headrest, you could change the function of the lumbar button to adjust the headrest via the infotainment computer.
The S/X is a bit different given, from what I find, they can save lumbar settings in the profile (not sure about passenger however). I don't believe this was the case in the 3/Y. I know in my 3, I can't save lumbar settings, and I can't save any passenger settings at all.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle